Thoroughbred in winter - to rug or not to rug?

Darraxi

Visit site
Apologies as this question has been posted to death, but just looking for some opinions!

This is the first winter I will be seeing my horse through (8 year old unclipped Thoroughbred); he’s my first horse, so I want to make sure I get it right! He’s out 24/7 on (far too) good grazing with ad-lib haylage and no shelter, there is a little bit of windbreak in all directions (house and stable block, trees, wall, etc.) though.

He seems to be a surprisingly good doer for the breed; got him in April ribby and unfit, he gets a very small amount of hard feed after work, none of it is conditioning and yet he’s still gaining weight well into November! During the freak summer we had I actually had to clip his chest and neck from jaw to girth as he was sweating buckets just standing in the field! He had front shoes but recently took him barefoot, popped a light-fill rug on for the first night in case he decided to stand about looking hard done by; he made it very clear he didn’t want it on (I insisted) and by the next day he had snapped the back string and was grazing away happily with it folded over backwards and bum to the breeze.

Currently he is one of only three horses in the field (and almost on the whole yard) still naked, but the others are natives so I have no real comparison. The older thoroughbreds have been rugged up since summer and all since September. So I suppose my main problem really is pressure from the prevailing yard attitude; nothing has really been said to me directly and I’m trying to let the horse tell me if or when he needs a bit of help to stay toasty, but it’s difficult surrounded by horses wrapped in rugs and cotton wool, plus being very aware of the fact this is the first winter I’ve seen any horse through; really I’m just looking for any advice or thoughts anyone can share on the matter? What signs should I be looking for? Or will I just know?

Ultimately I know that if I do get it wrong for a night or two it won’t be the end of the world, but I could just really do with some advice from outside of a triple-rugged cob mindset for my own peace of mind!

be positive

Visit site
It sounds as if he really doesn't need a rug at the moment but probably will once it gets wet and cold, most are fine in dry cold or warm and wet, I have 7 here at the moment, 3 living out unrugged all quality horses with fine coats in a well sheltered field on grass only as they like yours are still gaining weight the oldest, 27, gets a rug on if it is raining properly, they may all be rugged at some point but not yet.
2 also living out, chunky fully clipped native in a med rug, part clipped fine pony also in med.
1 tb x blanket clipped in at night various rugs depending on what her owner puts on but certainly not over rugged and was naked until she was clipped 2 weeks ago.
1 native naked and will be all winter whatever the weather.

Pressure from the others on the yard can be tricky but most are better off with a full tummy and less rugs than over rugged on reduced rations, if yours looks and feels well and you can tough it out he will be fine.

SEL

Visit site
I have known TBs winter without rugs but they had access to big bales of haylage to gorge on. It's been quite warm so far this Autumn so I'd just watch him and if we head into cold and wet then see if he still looks happy or needs some extra support.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
i think each horse is an individual and it doesnt really matter what breed, if he looks well and happy and isnt clipped and has plenty of forage (grass/hay etc) he should be fine without a rug ...but if we have lots of rain in the colder weather it sometimes can affect their skin and cause rain scald so you could always rug if the winter turns out like last year...

Darraxi

Visit site
Thanks for the answers everyone, and they do always have a big bale of haylage to munch on, which he has no problems muscling his way into; it was a cold and wet one last night, checked on him today and he had made a fantastic mud-rug all on his own and was quite content, toasty and dry under it! (Managed to chisel out a saddle-shaped section just as the heavens re-opened... Typical).

He was unusually grumpy having the girth area cleaned however and kicked out a couple times, it was half-hearted but still out of character? Will keep an eye on that issue to see if related as that was all he was bothered about, possibly just a field injury under there I didn’t spot. We have a storm forecast over the next couple days so that’ll be the real test, and should clarify for me just how hardy he is or isn’t!

I can tell already I’m going to have a fair bit of pressure and/or judgy looks from others, but they’ll all get the same answer: as soon as he’s anything other than 100% happy, I will be the first to notice :)

B24950A6-8406-40F8-BFBA-0A6452017347.jpeg2A99336D-6087-4657-9BD0-3418B8DF2C94.jpeg
In all his mud-encased glory...

be positive

Visit site
One obvious benefit from using a rug is that they are cleaner so getting ready for riding is easier, some thin skinned horses really don't like being scrubbed to get the mud, they have carefully plastered on, off in the more sensitive areas, the girth area can also be prone to getting a bit sweaty and a rash can easily develop which is one reason so many are clipped and rugged.

He looks well enough at the moment but some bad weather could make him drop off quickly so keep a close eye on him because it can be hard to get weight back on at this time of year.

nikkimariet

Visit site
If it needs a rug, put one on?

Fig has 2 HW on already and that's perfect for him. Doesn't affect me if other people think it's too much. They're not my horse lol.

Mule

Visit site
i think each horse is an individual and it doesnt really matter what breed, if he looks well and happy and isnt clipped and has plenty of forage (grass/hay etc) he should be fine without a rug ...but if we have lots of rain in the colder weather it sometimes can affect their skin and cause rain scald so you could always rug if the winter turns out like last year...
It's definitely an individual thing. Mine hates rugs to the extent that he runs off if I appear with one 😁 I gave him a high clip a few weeks ago and he has now deigned to wear a light weight one. It's only slightly thicker than a no- fill, but he knows his own mind.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Thanks for the answers everyone, and they do always have a big bale of haylage to munch on, which he has no problems muscling his way into; it was a cold and wet one last night, checked on him today and he had made a fantastic mud-rug all on his own and was quite content, toasty and dry under it! (Managed to chisel out a saddle-shaped section just as the heavens re-opened... Typical).

He was unusually grumpy having the girth area cleaned however and kicked out a couple times, it was half-hearted but still out of character? Will keep an eye on that issue to see if related as that was all he was bothered about, possibly just a field injury under there I didn’t spot. We have a storm forecast over the next couple days so that’ll be the real test, and should clarify for me just how hardy he is or isn’t!

I can tell already I’m going to have a fair bit of pressure and/or judgy looks from others, but they’ll all get the same answer: as soon as he’s anything other than 100% happy, I will be the first to notice :)

View attachment 27640View attachment 27639
In all his mud-encased glory...

perhaps i will change my mind after looking at the pics!!!!!!!:) if he was mine and i wanted to ride i am afraid i would clip and rug. i admire you for still riding with a little mud monkey!!!!!!

ihatework

Visit site
Well kudos to you for riding an unrugged horse from the field - far more dedicated than me 😂

I’d have given him a clip and popped a lightweight on by now purely for convenience!

Darraxi

Visit site
Update: yard owner has since insisted he is to be rugged for the rest of the winter, regardless of the actual weather, “because he’s a Thoroughbred” (even went to the lengths of bringing him in and putting on what is essentially a duvet without asking me. He’s now going to have to sweat away in that until tomorrow as I didn’t have the time to swap it, was just passing by on my way to work). Looks like he’s getting a clip after all... ;)

Got to love livery yards - hopefully I’ll have land of my own in future without anyone to stick their oars in. Thanks for the help anyways guys, much appreciated :)

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
thats out of order by the YO. it doesnt matter what breed they are some can winter with no rugs and some cant, sounds like yours could have ..... i would be livid if anyone had done that to one of mine. are you staying there?