Thoroughbred that did the Splits (Back Legs)

Katareya2006

Visit site
Hi Guys,

I live in a very remote part of Thailand and imported a successful former Group 1 Winning Australian TB.

It did "The Splits" on its hind legs and I am treating it with Antibiotics and Anti Inflammatories. ( Damage sustained to hind flanks / Epidermis)

However, My question is as it was the hind legs it seems that it slipped on the Road surface.......What are the Pro's and Cons of removing the shoes for good ( 8 year old Mare 100% Australian Thoroughbred Ex-Racehourse)

Katareya2006

Visit site
Indeed not. Both hind legs collapsed like a brilliant gymnast with its crutch on the floor. Damaged its front flanks ( Epidermis ) I rolled off. It got up. Lots of blood and we walked 5 kilometers home.

To be honest I am amazed too because of the amount of drugs its been given. But she is happy, eating and play biting me.....

Katareya2006

Visit site
Thank You.......I have horses and I'm an experienced rider. I will look into boots. I'm sure I can obtain them from the Shop in Bangkok or overseas.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
We have a stupid sort of tarmac here which is notoriously slippery for horses and had to get it removed from a dual purpose cycle bridleway but it isn't used on the roads generally. It might have been a one-off, especially if her shoes are worn. You could also try road nails in her shoes.

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
We had a thoroughbred that went down like that - back legs went out and splat on the track as a 3yo.

She had lasting problems with her sacroiliac joint afterwards and needed a lot of physio. She was sound to normal measurements because she tracked up fine and evenly and she was actually ok in trot. She was obviously hurting in canter and would get very tense. We had so many people advise it was behavioral because she jumped beautifully.

She actually was happiest very fit and in work, with regular physio and daily stretches, and worst in medium work or light hacking, or getting on after a break. She did improve and jumped a bit and did some low level eventing. She died of something totally unrelated at 18 so I don’t know how arthritic she may have become.

foxy1

Visit site
I found hoof boots slippery on smooth road surfaces, bare foot better, but shod with road nails best for grip.
Sending good wishes for your horse, sounds a nasty injury

Katareya2006

Visit site
Thank You I think I may have been extremely lucky. The wounds are now healing up nicely and I am walking her around 2 kilometers a day with no physical issues.....Just hope it stays that way as I know things can appear weeks after.