Thoroughbreds

highlandponygirl

Visit site
I have a freind in the racing business who can get me ex race horses if thats something I would want but Im a bit reluctant to take on a thoroughbred, don't know why but I supose they have gotten an unfair reputation about being nutters. Iv only ever known/ridden 1 thoroughbred and she was lovely, but could have bonkers moments (not bad bonkers, just yeeha bonkers). So I dont really have a lot of experience with them.
In general I would be looking for a safe all rounder (mostly something to hack on) do ex racers (once retrained)/ thoroughbreds in general make safe rides? Do your kids ride them safely?

Sell them to me :D

(sorry, didn't want to highjack the other thread)

tonitot

Visit site
My girl is brilliant, though she never actually raced was just in training for a while. She hacks out fabulously alone and in company, can be annoying to school but thqts normally my fault as she gets bored easily and I forget to do different things with her. When I'm always changing speed and direction she is happy. She has had kids have a toodle about on her, she did buck one child off but it wasn't her fault at all and he was okay. All in all I think ex racers are brilliant :)

Suziq77

Visit site
I have a TB and a warmblood. I love both of them to bits and they are both fab. I do sometimes find myself thinking how much easier the TB is in terms of her approach to life, she's got real sense and a self preservation instinct whereas my warmblood needs more reassurance and direction.

The handling, backing and schooling process a horse goes through is key to how "safe" a ride they turn out to be and in general the help of a good professional when reschooling ex racers would be recommended!

ellieplatt

Visit site
I love my ex racer, he's super kind and so willing. I think if you've got the time and patience to do the re-schooling (and if young turning out to mature/get rid of the ribby look), then they will be your best friend.
It's very rewarding to look back after your first year to see the changes and how far you've come. In general they are easy to do (i handle my own and another on a regular basis), although they are TB's so they can get hotted up ect, my boy does when he's out hacking for a short time before/after a canter but nothing dangerous or scary just very HAPPPYYY!

I got him for my 15th birthday, and my mother wouldn't of bought him (or even let me ride him for that matter!) if she didn't think that in general he was a safe horse to ride. But as we all know horse riding is a risk sport and no matter what type or breed you are on you don't know what they are thinking, and anything can happen.

Good Luck to you and I hope you find a gorgeous TB!

Wundahorse

Visit site
We have three ex racers on our yard and all have superb temprements and are super to ride.I accompanied one to the beach on tuesday with my 27 year old Arab,and what a gentleman he was.He did all that was asked and not once did he do anything remotely naughty.His first time at the beach as well.

Archina

Visit site
Ex racers are awesome! :D Ive had the pleasure of training quite a few. If they are straight of the racetrack the best thing to do is give them some time just be a horse again, i normally give them a month to two months depending on the horse. Then basically you just need to restart them and train them like you would train a youngster though some TB's are so laid back and easy that it doesnt take a lot for them to accept the general way of riding and training. Some can be very highly strung and take that little bit longer. :)

You can get ones that are total dopes on a rope and then the others who have a bit more fire, all depends on the horse really.

Has your friend got any ex racers atm? I am looking for a new project horse and been offered a few by trainer friends down south but its quite a distance that am not really up for travelling, notice your not too far from me. :)

RolyPolyPony

Visit site
I've got a tb x who has had an 8year old ride him and my mum (who is terrified of horses!!) A horse I was meant to be getting was a chestnut tb mare ... The most laid back horse I have ever met!!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
I adore my TB, he has just had 12 months off as I have been too busy to ride, I clipped him out Sat morning then took him for a hack in company. He was fantastic. calm, chilled, an occasional rocking horse moment, but not spooky or stupid. Mine raced, he has a mane like an exmoor pony. he looks like a little pony although he is actually 16.1hh. i adore everything about him. he is my first choice horse to ride out with novice horses, my horse of choice when meeting scarey things. The key thing with a TB is their diet, forage forage forage. No heating foods, no really unnatural fattening foods, they can blow their minds. But I will definitely have a TB again.

highlandponygirl

Visit site
Ex racers are awesome! :D Ive had the pleasure of training quite a few. If they are straight of the racetrack the best thing to do is give them some time just be a horse again, i normally give them a month to two months depending on the horse. Then basically you just need to restart them and train them like you would train a youngster though some TB's are so laid back and easy that it doesnt take a lot for them to accept the general way of riding and training. Some can be very highly strung and take that little bit longer. :)

You can get ones that are total dopes on a rope and then the others who have a bit more fire, all depends on the horse really.

Has your friend got any ex racers atm? I am looking for a new project horse and been offered a few by trainer friends down south but its quite a distance that am not really up for travelling, notice your not too far from me. :)

He doesn't have anything at the moment. He only really works during the sales on behalf of clients he used to work for. Its usually around October that he goes away. He's alway saying theres some nice ones about that just haven't cut it at racing.

Oooh im starting to get very keen on the idea of an ex racer. :)

Emilieu

Visit site
I get daily comments from others on the yard about how ridiculously chilled out my lovely ex racer is. He's an utter gentleman and so easy to work with. He can be silly and won't hack out on his own without a fight but that's just him - the other ex racer on my yard is more than happy to head out alone. With ad lib hayledge and a fibre based diet I do not find it hard or expensive to keep weight on him and he is the same to ride whether he's had a day or a fortnight off. He's also had a couple of my novice friends on board and took great care of them. Love him :) x

marley and danni

Visit site
hi!

i think there a brilliant breed i have an exracers hes a ok dooer hes lost a bit of weight (hes not been worked in a few weeks) but he looks ok to come into the spring :)

hes got a laid back temprement and hes anyones ride litterlly!

my 10yr old cousin walk trots and canters him (shes never even been on a horse before or pony)

my OH rides him

my instructor rides him

so do quite a few of my friends

hes easy to hack not strong unless he gets spooked but hes partialy sighted at the moment due to an iris cyst

hes very loving and wants to be with you all the time (sometimes annoying when on box rest and trying to much out lol)

they are a loyal breed and always try!

not met a bad one yet!

McNally

Visit site
I'm currently trying to work on getting mine more forward and erm, waking up to be ridden! Not saying for a second they are all like this and in my view an OT TB is a slightly unknown quantity, Can go either way.
My last one smashed my knee (2 weeks off work but ages til it healed)then my face up (had to be repaired painfully by a special facial plastic surgeon) and i only sat on it 3 times!
Unless you feel you can work with anything and enjoy a challenge i'd say not to go for a completely unknown ex racer straight from a trainer- however if you find someone who you trust to vouch for the horses general reliability (ie- its not a confirmed rearer, bolter etc) go for it!

marley and danni

Visit site
i agree with above dont go straight from a tarining... think your using a rehoming centre? so will already have been reschooled :)

i think ull have a lot of fun with him!

my gelding is my 1st horse, had him a year on monday and im glad i bought him!

hes a confirmed rearer!! but rarley does it now i know what sets him off :)

Firewell

Visit site
The rehoming centres are really good, I would suggest you give them a call as they will match you up to the most suitable horse.

Mine is a good doer, he's blooming on chaff, fibre nuts and a HiFi bagful of hay at night and that's it! He does spend all day grazing though :).

Mine has really good hard feet and he's as tough as old boots and he's also lovely and chilled on the yard. He's never stressy.

He can have his sharp moments, usually the odd spook here and there and he can feel quite a powerful, switched on ride as he
is very athletic. However he is super easy to train, adores his work, loves shows, jumps anything and is generally pretty cool!

IMO anyone with a half decent seat and a bit of common sense are fine with a TB. Of course you do get those people who are lacking in either of these things and that's where problems arise. It's the same for any horse though especially one with a bit of blood in it.