thoroughpins

Halfstep

Visit site
Caused by a mild distention of the tendon sheath where it runs over the hock, or by synovitis of the joint itself. A bit like windgalls (but in the hock obviously!). Usually they are cosmetic only and not worth worrying about.

They can be drained but its not usually worth it as you are sticking a needle in the joint! So if they are not causing trouble its best to leave well alone. If they are caused by synovitis an injection of Hyaluric Acid and/or steroids into the upper hock joint might help bring them down but I bet they would come back.

Hock boots might help - either Back on Track ones or magnetic ones, but they might not!

So, for what its worth, I'd ignore them
wink.gif

GermanyJo

Visit site
Hi, I agree with everything Halfstep has said.... however.. if they become large and under pressure - eg, you can't push from inside to outside and are not soft.. and coincide with a change in performance from the horse, it is worth getting it checked out.
Mine had one come up a christmas, didn't seem to be causing any problems so did nothing ... however, about a month ago, got a bit bigger, and suddenly the jumping went from super upwards curve to catastrophe.... couple of vet visits and x rays later, turns out he has a very small chip (not in or near the joint thank god) ... thoroughpin drained , pressure gone - happy ponio again - he was not lame, but reacted on a flexion test when examined - So .. yes, they are normally nothing to worry about... but keep an eye on it.

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
Thank you so much !!

Well basically have a horse at the yard and he has had them come up on both hocks - the left side is big and as GermanyJo said you can push from side to side !!

Horse isnt lame or worried with them but here is the next thing?

He currently isnt being ridden as the girl is doing her A-Levels so no pressure or anything like that but is still being fed a high protein diet (we thought this may of caused it) but obviously not??

would they come up through no work at all x

Halfstep

Visit site
What is the conformation of the hocks? Sickle hocked? Cow hocked? This would predispose the horse to strain in this area.

High protein diet and lack of turn out - humm, that could I suppose be an issue - a bit like human gout! But I don't know for sure.

Is there any sign of any other inflammation around the hock area - no bog spavin or anything? If so - VET!!

If not, I'd probably be less worried having the thoroughpins bi-laterally occurring as its less likely to be an acute injury.

X-rays and ultrasound are the only way to know for sure!

StaceyTanglewood

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What is the conformation of the hocks? Sickle hocked? Cow hocked? This would predispose the horse to strain in this area.

High protein diet and lack of turn out - humm, that could I suppose be an issue - a bit like human gout! But I don't know for sure.

Is there any sign of any other inflammation around the hock area - no bog spavin or anything? If so - VET!!

If not, I'd probably be less worried having the thoroughpins bi-laterally occurring as its less likely to be an acute injury.

X-rays and ultrasound are the only way to know for sure!

[/ QUOTE ]

no is turned out all day every day from 08.30 - 6 !!! just not worked

Its all very strange - my foal is due this week so when vet comes will get them to glance an eye over x