Thorowgood gullet size confusion.

hellfire

Visit site
Am I correct in thinking it goes orange, white then yellow? The orange is slightly too narrow and yellow too wide. I found a second hand white gullet which I've just put next to the orange and its narrower by a smidge!!?? What's going on? It's stamped A R-XW and has found holes but my other gullets have no stamp and ovel holes. I have a round cantel saddle. Is there a old version of thorowgood gullets that are different? I'm not aware of other makes of gullets that look the same in size and shape. Anyone shed light on my total confusion?

rextherobber

Visit site
There are different gullet bars for round or square cantle saddles, I thought r bars were for round cantles, but maybe not if your other bars are different.. Thorowgood website should set you straight, they have a printable gullet sizing thing too to solve the which order they go in part of the question.

hellfire

Visit site
There are different gullet bars for round or square cantle saddles, I thought r bars were for round cantles, but maybe not if your other bars are different.. Thorowgood website should set you straight, they have a printable gullet sizing thing too to solve the which order they go in part of the question.
All the gullet bars I have including the new one are for the round cantle. Stamped R. The S for square are shorter. The measuring chart says he's in between sizes which is why I ordered a white which is the size he SHOULD be. My problem is the white I've got is nearly the same but narrower than the size down from it. It should be slightly wider. So I'm asking if there's after market ones that aren't true to thorowgood sizes.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Years ago I had a saddler out for a similar query! She thought that the bar had been altered by someone. Maybe heated up and bent.
It was all second hand so a possibility in my case.
She showed my bar laid on her new one and it was much narrower

hellfire

Visit site
Years ago I had a saddler out for a similar query! She thought that the bar had been altered by someone. Maybe heated up and bent.
It was all second hand so a possibility in my case.
She showed my bar laid on her new one and it was much narrower
I reckon that's what's happened. It's also been badly re painted.

hellfire

Visit site
Maybe. The paint was damaged on mine, chipped at the bend
The things been painted over so thick I had to pick it off to see the stamp. I took it up my friends forge today and they have bent it to his size. I didn't like to do it in a vice as wanted it bang on even and no weakness in the metal. They've said they can make me a gullet if needed! Never thought of that before. Not what u know but who. Will now see if this Thorowgood is correct for his back shape.

Equi

Visit site
I like the idea of getting it specifically bent to match his size, provided the person doing it and person fitting it know what they are at. Ive always felt a little uncomfortable with the standard "this size fits this horse"

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Good plan! Just a word of warning, when I suggested just bending the one I had back out the saddler said no because the more it’s altered the weaker the metal.
I have absolutely no idea about such things or if she just wanted to make another sale!