Thorowgood Saddlecloths

pottamus

Visit site
Anyone got any experience of these...particularly the one for the cob horse? I am looking at getting some for Christmas and will be getting the cob one...only trouble is it has a 'grippy pad' on the underneath to help it 'stay in place on a broad back'. Sounds good but I will be doing endurance in it next year and during this winter will be keeping him fit with long rides. Trouble is he is un-clipped in winter so sweats and when doing endurance he will sweat too and I am worried about how the sweat will work with the grippy pad bit...will it be totally unbreathable for him and irritate him? What do you think...here is the product:

http://www.thorowgood.com/uk/accessories/numnahs.htm

Scroll down one for the cob one with grippy pad bit!

equibabe20

Visit site
Ive got the cob grippy one and it's the best thing I've ever used to help his saddle stay! Mine sweats a lot and Ive never had any problems never noticed it being worse than any other saddle cloth I've had mine over a year now and it still washes up brilliantly. I would defianlty recommend it.

pottamus

Visit site
Hi thanks for that...do you have the white or black one? It was just that after an endurance event the saddle cloth can be wet right through...so I guess I was worried about rubbing or making him sweat more if you know what I mean!

equibabe20

Visit site
i have the black one, I would never be able to keep white clean! well i haven't ever noticed it rubbing my boy but I suppose each horse is different.hopefully your's will be fine too. i don't think it makes him sweat more I think they are pretty breathable, I guess they have to be really, otherwise if they were wet with sweat they probably would work as well!

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
I brought one of these and they are very nice, however I washed it in the washing machine (at 30) with non-bio washing powder and it shrink. It’s now used for Blackie (cob size) as opposed to Otto (full size). Just a warning.

UKa

community.webshots.com
I am very happy with my saddlecloth - I actually have a white one believe it or not but it goes in the wash regularly so although not fully bright white anymore it stays decent. My horse sweats a lot too but it seems to absorb this quite well - could not notice any shrinking after wash in mine either.

spike123

Visit site
I have the white warmblood one and haven't had any problems with it at all.It didn't shrink in the wash and came up nice and white again.I use it under my saddle for jumping and it seems to work well absorbing the sweat without rubbing or slipping.

Dotilas

Visit site
The grippy pad bit is the same as the one they had in an article in H&H a while ago after Badminton...

I have white and black cob ones
smile.gif
Love them both.

Use them on my very rolly unfit traditional cob. It helped prevent the saddle slipping and haven't shrunk.

HE is now fairly fit and we have done 10k fun rides, again as you described soaked through numnah! Even when soaked through, it doesn't rub or slip.

Hope this helps
smile.gif

hussar

Visit site
Just when you thought you'd made your mind up ... I've found for endurance that the best numnahs around are the Griffin Nuu-Med half wool Hi-wither ones. They soak up amazing amounts of sweat before they start to feel soggy, and my horses have never had any kind of pressure bumps or rubs with them.