Thorowgood seat sizes smaller than they say

darkbay19

Visit site
So after trying to find a saddle for a barrel pony (that really shouldn't be a barrel!) I've been a given a thorowgood t4 pony saddle (16.5 seat) that I had completely forgot I lent to a friend. But the closest thing we could find before to fit his belly was a GFS in a 16.5 which looked huge on him. Now the thorowgood is on it looks tiny. I was having a chat with the saddle fitter and he said that often thorowgood saddles seat size measure up slightly smaller than they actually are. My friend who borrowed the saddle also commented on this as she usually rides in 16.5 but couldn't really sit comfortably in mine whilst she was using it. Is it just me or does anyone else think the seat sizes are smaller than they are or am I mad?!?

sychnant

Visit site
Measure it and see?

Personally I find Thorowgood uncomfortable and can't sit well in them anyway. Pretty sure it partly depends on the twist and depth/curve of the seat too.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Yes they are smaller seats than some other saddles and highly uncomfortable in my experience! The panels aren't particularly short tho so it's a kind of useless shape imo.

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Thorowgood told me that the stud on the pommel is put in afterwards and so bears no relation to the tree size. The only way to find out accurately is to contact T/G and ask them to check the saddle number. If the saddle is not too old they should be able to tell you it' s original size.

LouisCat

Visit site
When we got our TB he had a Thorowgood saddle. I actually found it quite comfy but that was an 18inch one and fitted me nicely. Yet never ridden in anything bigger than 17inch and also replaced it with a 17inch so I think they do come up small

Pippity

Visit site
I definitely found a Kent & Masters 17.5" saddle smaller than expected. First thing I said when I tried it was, "That's... intimate!"