Thorowgood T8-Opinions?

rosiesowner

Visit site
This has probably been done to death! Anyway, I've just booked the saddler to come and try to fit either a GP or jump saddle to Chilli so that I can be a bit comfier out hacking and because there's a part of me that wants to get back into a little bit of jumping! She's recommended TGs as while I love my beautiful Stübben dressage saddle I can't quite afford to lay that amount of money out for a saddle that is purely for hacking and messing around!

Just wondering what people's experiences with these saddles have been, or if anyone has recommendations within a similar price range for a fairly high withered TB. Who knows, we might be seen cross country schooling by the end of this year :eek:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not a T8 but I had a T6 high wither. It fitted my horse beautifully and he wasn’t always happy in it. I found I felt a bit tipped forwards but after speaking to another saddler he said it was a very common issue due to the seat shape and he recommended where possible for the horse to go up a seat size. Too late for me as I’d already bought a 17” but might be worth bearing in mind!
Super easy to care for and so light weight.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Not a T8 but I had a T6 high wither. It fitted my horse beautifully and he was always happy in it. I found I felt a bit tipped forwards but after speaking to another saddler he said it was a very common issue due to the seat shape and he recommended where possible for the horse to go up a seat size. Too late for me as I’d already bought a 17” but might be worth bearing in mind!

rosiesowner

Visit site
Not a T8 but I had a T6 high wither. It fitted my horse beautifully and he wasn’t always happy in it. I found I felt a bit tipped forwards but after speaking to another saddler he said it was a very common issue due to the seat shape and he recommended where possible for the horse to go up a seat size. Too late for me as I’d already bought a 17” but might be worth bearing in mind!
That's a really interesting point about the seat length. I chatted to the saddler when she was at the yard for another livery yesterday which led me to booking in and we decided that the best course of action for Chill was to bring some 16.5" and 17" to try as while her stubben is a 17", the panels are really swept up at the back making it sit more like a 16.5", if that makes sense? As she is far happier in that than a 17" but I will certainly keep what you've said in mind and give her a good try in both sizes! I'll be trying the T8s and hope she doesn't need the high wither version so that I can get a jump, if not I suppose I'll be sticking to the GP!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Ah ok there’s not a jump high wither? I only got the HW version as that’s what the saddler fitted. My friend however had a very similar shaped TB who was in the regular wither and it fitted fine. You may be lucky! I’d be interested to hear how you get on as am currently looking for a saddle myself and hadn’t even considered a T8. May go have a look!

AandK

Visit site
I tried one earlier in the year, T8 high wither GP. Was impressed with the look and quality of it for the price, unfortunately I found it v uncomfy (as above comments, felt very tipped forward, even though saddle looked balanced on horse) and horse hated it even more so it went straight back!

Cowpony

Visit site
I had one and it was comfortable for me, but when I was cleaning it I noticed that the panels were very different in fit and the whole thing was slightly squint. My saddle fitter sent it back and they re-did it. Not sure if they'd used the wrong size on one side or what. I never felt my horse was totally comfortable in it, and another fitter said the tree was too curved for cobby types. I sold it and got a different make, but there seem to be plenty of satisfied owners out there

Northern

Visit site
I had a dressage T8, fit my short backed plump TB really well but I thought it was uncomfortable and didn't really like it. Have since had a T4 as well and same story, won't be getting another Thorowgood after my experiences. Have a try though, you may really like them!

ETA: Loved the quality of them and ease of cleaning, pity they didn't suit me!

Last edited:

Rosiejazzandpia

Visit site
Imo thorowgoods are a good fit for horse, not so much for the comfort of the rider.
I have a T6 which is so uncomfy but fits the growing horse well enough for now until we have funds for a nicer and comfier saddle :)

Bonnie Allie

Visit site
Love these saddles. Had one for a horse that had a shark fin wither. I am also pear shaped as a rider with an ample size 14 bottom and I found the seat size and it’s rounded shape perfect for me as well.

I wasn’t going to get on any national squads with my sj ability but we did well at 1.05m in what was really an all purpose/general purpose saddle.

As a result of the success we had with the HW we have purchased another Thorowgood for backing a youngster. For the price they are hard to beat.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Can’t fault them I’ve had four TG saddles now including the T8 and loved them all. I still have my original T6 with changeable gullet in amazing condition for its age and I’ll be using it to back my youngster when he’s ready, my last horse used it for about 10/11 years and lived the flexibility in adjusting it.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I had a T4 yonks ago and found the same as others, horse was comfy in it but I felt perched in it and not wholly secure. In the end I switched to a WOW that suited us both much better. On the plus side, when I came to sell it I got back what I paid 😊

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I helped a lady with her horse for a bit last year and she had a T8. The horse was a bit of a monkey and I just always felt terribly insecure in her saddle. It wasn't so much uncomfortable as I felt like I was about to ping out of it at any moment! The flaps didn't seem to bed in at all either. Not for me. I'd rather go 2nd hand for a leather saddle.

tristar

Visit site
i have a t6 dressage which i am selling as it not longer fits any of my horses, and i prefer the t4s they suit me better and adjust better to the horses i have now

catembi

Visit site
I had a T8 jumping and despite it having huge knee/calf blocks, I never felt secure in it. I couldn’t understand why I felt that I was going to fall off every time I jumped until o/h took some film clips and I could see that my lower leg wasn’t stable. I now have a wintec pro. I have lent the T8 to the person who bought my horse and if it ever comes back I will just sell it. It is baffling how a saddle which *looks* v secure totally isn’t!