Those driving towing vehicles in insurance group 11/at under 21

Skhosu

Visit site
Hi guys, my insurance company has said I can only be insured up to group 11. I am looking for a towing vehicle to buy, and need to know what makes etc. to look out for, so any help from those in a similar situation?

atouchwild

Visit site
Cant really help here re. insurance but you cannot tow anything under the age of 21, and if you passed test after 1997 (i think) you need to take trailer test too, which you can only do at 21. I was in the same boat, i am 20 and was going to swap my car for a 4x4 then take my test asap when i was 21 in december. However, i have instead just bought a 3.5t box which i can drive on my car licence now. It works oiut loads cheaper too as it is estimatd it will cost 1k to get somebody through trailer test!
Sorry if this isnt what you were asking though!

only_me

Visit site
yes you can!

Once you have your trailer test you can drive a trailer!!

I can take my trailer test now - and im still in R plates. You can take your trailer test once you pass your test.

sorry no help on insurance etc.

atouchwild

Visit site
Yes, i didnt say you couldnt tow after you had taken your trailer test, but i was under the impression you had to be 21 to take this test.

only_me

Visit site
no, I was told by trailer instructors that once you have your driving test you can take the trailer test
smile.gif

so once you are 17 and have the driving licence, you can take the trailer test
smile.gif

Murphy88

Visit site
Oooh, i thought you had to be 21 too. Best not mention that its under 21 to my Dad, he's already trying to get me to learn to tow so that he doesn't have to deal with horse shows... I've tried pointing out that even once I've passed my trailer test there's no way I'm towing any of my precious horses until I've had a bit of experience!!

OP - sorry, can't really comment on insurance, although I *think* that my Dad said it would be possible to insure me on our Discovery, so that may well be 11 or below.

Vicky4567

www.nfumutual.co.uk
Every car has a group between 1 - 20. A group one is like an old Fiat Panda or Toyota Aygo, a Discovery is a group 12 and a Ferrari etc is a 20. If you are after a 4x4 under group 11 you can look at a Daihatsu Fourtrak or a Landrover 90 Defender. Hope this helps.