Those of you who share...

Dizzle

Visit site
Have you ever had a bad expereince sharing? I had a share and it went really well until I ended it, I was very polite when I ended it and explained nicely why. Owner found a new sharer before she even replied to me
mad.gif
then she has ignored whenever I ask how she is via text or email.
confused.gif

I really want to find another share, but this has totally put me off, I trialled another horse and had a problem with a friend of the owner telling the owner I was slating the horse, which I wasn't at all I asked for advice on a bolshy horse.

Are there any good sane owners out there that simply want someone to ride and care for the horse a few days a week???

I really love my riding at the moment as I've got lots of horses to ride but I just miss having 'my own' horse to play with.:(

Sadly a full loan or buying one are out of the question at the moment as I only have about £100 spare a month. Bloody credit crunch.

No real point to this, just a rant about not having a horse to call my own!
blush.gif

oofadoofa

www.mearecourtequestrian.co.uk
What area are you in?

I had a sharer for one of my horses during the summer. All was going OK, but I let the sharer ride out on her own quite a bit and she kept taking the horse down a really boggy bridleway where I had asked (told!) her not to go and he ended up with a tendon injury! I would share again though, if the right person came along.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
I have only ever shared a horse twice, the first time worked perfectly, I shared him for 18 months and only parted with him when I grew too big and felt he was also getting too old to compete and jump at the level I was at. On my days I treated him as my own horse and really got a lot out of the whole experience.

The second time I shared however was a nightmare. The woman said she was looking for a sharer as she didn't have the time or the money to keep both her horses. However she wanted to be present every time I rode the horse and refused to give me a key to the tack room so I couldn't come down on my own. It became impossible as I would have to fit in with her schedule. Not only that, but it also made very little sense as I would have to hack to the school, so it wasn't like she was actually supervising me, she would just sit and wait at the yard for me and the horse to come back. For someone who didn't have time for the horse she certainly had time to waste!

In honesty, that experience has completely put me off sharing and now I would only consider helping exercise someone elses horse or having a horse on full loan if I didn't have one of my own.

Good luck with your search though, there are nice sharers out there, they just tend to be hard to find.

trundle

Visit site
Of course there are good sane owners (well, good, anyway, sane is entirely relative). I have shared the Moose since Oct 2007, and it seems to be going pretty well. We've come through a rotten winter, a couple of falls, the horse being off work for a couple of months and me not actually being able to reach the horse's back to put a rug on it....and her owner STILL hasn't sacked me, so it must be going reasonably well !

I should add at this point that I wouldn't call her owner sane, though. Maybe you need to find a nice, bonkers owner !

grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

L

lilym

where are you??!!! i need someone to hack my rather full of himself welsh D 2 or 3 times a week, chance to compete as well for right person!!

Natch

Visit site
There are good shares to be had, its finding the right owner and horse for you. My first one went reasonably well, then when I moved and found another I had a couple that weren't great. I'm into my 3rd year with F now, and the arrangement works well for him his owner and me.
smile.gif

Dizzle

Visit site
I'm in Gloucestershire. I know there are good shares out there but I sort of feel like it's been a bad relationship break up, you know, I'm too scared to date at the moment!

Thing is I want the moon on a stick really! I want a yard with good hacking and a horse that's sane to hack, I want a school to so I could ride after work, a horse I could basically treat as my own.

I'm just scared of ending up horse less!

Natch

Visit site
Where are you riding at the moment? A riding school?

I carried on at a RS until I was sure my share was going to work out
smile.gif

gillianfleming

Visit site
My sister has a great sharer, got back in touch with her on here, does my sisters pony whenever she can so jeni can have a long lie.
Think she is also now going to ride my pony to as well as jeni's mare is in foal and she won't be ridin her after xmas.
Wouldn't mind finding another sharer for him at the moment but he's not very easy.

Dizzle

Visit site
ATM I have one lesson a week, then I'm helping someone out keeping their horses fit over winter (when there's less work and no one else wants to ride.).

Does mean that come the summer I'm probably back to lessons

vicm2509

Visit site
I am a nice sane owner and I share my horse
smile.gif
smile.gif

My sharer has my horse 3 days a week, she does pretty much what she likes with him and has lessons on him. I do pop down occasionally when she is there to see how things are going, and will occasionally borrow a horse and hack out with her. I did draw up a contract tho to say we had to give each other 4 weeks notice to end the share, and it notes all the do's and dont's in detail. I have had no problems at all so far and totally trust her with my horse AND I am a very fussy owner!!. Before that my best friend shared him for 2 years (shes about to have a baby now) and I had great fun with her too.

I am sure you will find a nice owner out there with a lovely horse, just keep looking.

diggerbez

Visit site
i adore my sharer, she's fab! she rides my older horse whenever she wants (i have another horse that i ride) and days she can't come up she just texts me and i'll ride him if i have time. she's a real lifesaver and will muck out both horses on days/mornings that i can't make it up! i pretty much leave her to her own devices- the horse she rides is pretty whizzy but i figure if i didn't trust her to ride him/ ask for advice if she was stuck i wouldn't let her ride him full stop...
laugh.gif

Tuppence88

Visit site
Try finding a good sharee!
I thought the idea was that the sharee shared the horse with you which ment when he/she/it went to ride they looked after your horse like it was there own and same with the equipment.
cool.gif
Happy days!
This surely includes things like cleaning tack after you've ridden and oiling it if it rains and generally making sure that when I get there I don't have twice the work to do.
I know this can happen because I have been a sharer and still ride others horses and I always leave things a little bit tidier/neater than when I got there. But unfortuately these skills don't seem to have passed on to the last three or four sharers we've had.
crazy.gif
mad.gif

Rant over.
blush.gif
(I know everybody on here is lovely...unaimed rant
grin.gif
)

Angua2

Visit site
Shame you are so far away!

As Your requirements

[ QUOTE ]
I want a yard with good hacking and a horse that's sane to hack, I want a school to so I could ride after work, a horse I could basically treat as my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

are exactly what I am offering.

cazza

community.webshots.com
I am a not so sane owner, who has a sharer for one of my horses. Yes it's Trundle (she's posted above) she has full access to use the horse 24/7 and treat it as her own. They have developed a good bond with each other, I took on a sharer that was a novice as we all have to start somewhere and by having a novice sharer who is willing to learn then I feel I have helped another person get into riding and having a horse.

Really the horse is not the best in the world but she is not nasty, doesn't rear or buck but would not be described as a novice ride. Although trundle has coped exceptionally well and is greatly improving her technique and confidence. I discuss anything and everything with her and we make action plans, although next year we will be phasing her off of this horse and I will be offering her another which should be more suitable for her, well it's a hand smaller to start with so that should help.

I believe a good sharer is like gold dust so hold onto them, look after them and it is very rewarding seeing them do well.

Taffster

Visit site
I sort of share my 2 sec d's, they are both competition ponies and it creates massive problems with commitment! There is nothing i wont do for my 2 and i expect sharers to feel the same - possibly i'm asking too much!
However i do transport horses to competitions do all the mucking out and paying for all livery and food costs, in return i expect a good standard of riding commitment to ride and dedication - and that is so so difficult to achieve!

spotsmum

Visit site
I have had a bad experience in the past, but now have two reat sharers for two of mine. Have their own tack, do what they want and I trust them. Did have one before, that promised to ride 3-4 times a week as horse prone to lami so needs excercise, horse got lami as not bein rode and out on ood grass, cost me heartache and lots of dosh. The sharer I have for the same horse now, is brill, and horse not had lami since, been on same grazing, feed etc. Proof in the pudding!!!

Dizzle

Visit site
Firstly, I LOVE tack cleaning! I’m also (much to OH’s amusement) a great fan of shoe cleaning, nothing nicer than nice clean tack! I’m aware when I share that I basically owe the owner, they are doing me a massive favour so I used to think (and still do!) nothing of mucking out a few other horses to help them out.

In return I’d want the owner to be honest about the horse, don’t say it jumps if all you’ve ever done is lunged it over a 12 inch high X pole!

I need to find a horse I can afford to share AND have regular lessons as I’ve started them again and I’m enjoying them so much, the horse I’ve been riding is very green in the school and it’s an amazing feeling knowing that I’ve got to a point in my riding that (with some help!) I can teach the horse something.

Right, I’m off to trawl that link above! :-D

jumpingjack

community.webshots.com
I have a sharer who is fantastic i know i can rely on her and trust her with my horse - i have had a bad experience where the lady who was sharing lied a bit about her experience and went out on a hack on her own when i told her to go with someone else the horse spooked and she fell off - she then badmouthed my horse to everyone at the yard and didnt bother going to catch the horse left her to go back to field alone, my YO was furious with her esp as she'd seen what happened and then listened to her tell people she'd been bronking
confused.gif
she lasted 3 days!

The next one was lovely but unfortunately just didn't click with Splash... my current one is perfect.
grin.gif

Dizzle

Visit site
Well if anything, I tend to underplay my abilities would rather be under horsed than over horsed and I would rather someone thinks I'm a better rider than I say, rather than a worse rider!

It works both ways really, everyone has to be honest!