Those twisty things wrapped in tails....

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Went up to check the herd this evening and they had obviously spent the entire day rooting in the edges of the field where the hedges are. Several were covered in those horrible prickly ball things, one little mare's tail had twisted round so many times it resembles a plait!! Lots had rolled up forelocks.
Now on the basis that they will no doubt get more of these things and I really can't spend literally days removing them from their tails (at least 20 have them) what are the chances of them just working their way out?
Some are youngsters so don't suggest spraying oil etc on their tails, they'd kick me to kingdom come!

lizzie_liz

Visit site
ah those bur things are a pain and thats an understatement, was going to suggest tail conditioner but if you don't want to use am not sure what to suggest.

piaffe

Visit site
Those Damm burrs!
mad.gif
My boy comes in nearly every day with at least one in his lovely long mae or tail!
frown.gif

When I came home after our holiday he looked like bob marley!
grin.gif

scrat

Visit site
If they are about the size of a malteser then its burdock and its a pain! Our horses have lots of feather and I could not believe how difficult and time consuming it was to get them out. They don't brush out you have to pick your way through. I will not be using the paddock again til' they are cleared.

lennysmith

Visit site
Grr those bloody burs. I swear they will be the death of me!! No they dont work there way out as far as I'm aware. In a matter of 6 hours Denver's tail went from a little fluffy foal tail to one solid matt lump!! There must be 60 of the buggers in there!

My friend sprays WD40 on her geldings tail to get them out, works a treat, I know you said about the youngsters. I jaut thought it was a novel thing to be spraying them with.

xxx

mandy4727

Visit site
They are a buggar. If your youngsters won't let you spray them. Which a lot won't only youngster. Spray on yours hands and rub tail and mane between your hands. Will get at least some on. My oldie hates sprays and the only way to get fly spray on is spray it on a sponge first. He hasn't twigged yet!!!!. But they won't come out if you leave them, they just get more and more tangled and the only option is the scissiors and if twist tight enough can hurt!!! Sorry.

jinglejoys

Visit site
Sorry-out of luck they embed their way right in,ask my goats after they've finished munching their way through a patch of them,they look like walking carpets!
crazy.gif

Prudence

Visit site
Your best bet is to remove the offending plants from all fields, before attempting to clean up any horses. As others have said, they need to come out sooner, rather than later. Not a task I envy.