Those who Jump in glasses - advice needed

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Well, I've known for a while I have been having problems focusing on the take off spot when jumping.

So, tonight I jumped in my driving glasses. Well what a difference. I could actually see the jump and it made a big difference allround.

Now I need some glasses to jump in. Do I just need a strap thingy that goes round the back of my head to hold glasses on, or do I just put my driving glasses on and off I go. Must admit, they did fit well with my helmet, but want to be happy they aren't going to fall off or move when doing xc.

What do you all wear and if you have special glasses, where do you get them from?

humblepie

Visit site
Have worn glasses for years. Don't show jump now but used to just wear normal glasses but with shatterproof lenses. They stayed on fine. Did have a glasses lens fall out once and managed to catch it and finish round!

FlipFlop5

Visit site
I cant jump in my glasses, have always worn contact lenses which I find cope better with the weather conditions! They won't steam up in the rain and I know that they wont slip.

If thats not viable, the sports straps ( available from most opticians, I know we've got some in and we're classed as small store are good and only a few quid) WOuld say that you should keep a spare pair in the truck, just incase you fall ( hopefully not!) and break them youre not breaking driving standards without them :)

Hope that helps

viceversa

Visit site
I often jump in my glasses, never had any special straps or anything. I have hunted in my glasses but prefer to wear my contact lenses as the problem with glasses is when it rains you cant see! Its ok at home as you can stop and wipe them but this is not always feasible when out and about!

samsbilly

Visit site
Can't ride in my glasses get motion sickness lol contact all the way. Shatter proof lenses would be advisable though x

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Have thought about contacts, but get such itchy eyes in summer I always think I wouldn't be able to wear them, but certainly something I could try.

I have also been looking at straps to hold them on.

Didn't consider what happens in the rain, which would really drive me mad, as I ride whatever the weather.

Also, not thought about a second pair on standby.

Thanks for replying. Definately given me some things to consider.:D

Daytona

Visit site
I've worn glasses for 20 years, SJ , event , dressage hacking hunting you name it i wear them

Falling off more times than I can remember and never had a issue think I've only had one pair break when they came off my head in all that time.

I don't have any special glass just normal bog standard glasses.

No straps either to hold them on.

You will be fine , don't need to buy anything fancy.

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Ludoctro good advice thank you. I think I've been worrying for nothing and just need to get on with it.

I will invest in a second pair though so I can always drive home safely.

suzi

Visit site
I ride in glasses and have done for 10 years.

I have a spare pair just in case.

For competing I do prefer wearing contacts but because I have dry itchy eyes it's not always possible. I have daily disposables in the lorry so tend toput them in just ebefore I tack up andtake them out when iI'm done. Especially if it's raining or really hot as they steam up if I sweat.

I did have a fall xc last year in my glasses and although they didn't come off they were a little dented. I also hadbig bruises as the nose rest bits were pushed right into my face and left quite big indents. It has put me off wearing them for jumping.

rara007

Visit site
I wear glasses for everything and always have done- no other option! As a child I tried mounted games without as they kept steaming up but then I couldn't see the poles :eek: I don't have special sports ones or anything just whatever style I like for normal day to day things and have only broken one pair and that was such a crash breaking my glasses was the least of my concerns. I don't find it a problem, but then I even sleep in glasses :eek:

Django Pony

Visit site
Have laser eye surgery! I did about 6 years ago and it has been fabulous! Wish I'd done it years ago! If anyone wants to pick my brains about it feel free to PM me, I can also get a discount for people who I refer if anyone is interested!

Lyle

Visit site
I just wear an older pair for everything, without a strap. If I'm XCing then I'll use a strap! I'm short sighted, so glasses make a huge difference!

DarkHorseB

Visit site
I am another contact lense wearer. Glasses and horses just did not work for me! Jumping outside in the rain imagine driving a car when your windscreen wipers are broken! Jumping indoors in winter when my horse got warm they would steam up :(
If you can trial contact lenses I think you would find a big improvement.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I did get a black eye from mine once... I faceplanted! the glasses were fine though :D

Have tried but really don't get on with contacts

HotToTrot

Visit site
Contacts are better as they don't steam up or get wet. I have ridiculously sensitive eyes and am vshort sighted, so i jump in contacts to the extent possible! I do jump in my glasses though and only advice is that lightweight ones ate better than heavy ones! Less likely to bounce round. Have fallen off in them amd they've been fine.

Mrs Pink

Visit site
I'm another that wears glasses for everything, have done for nearly 30 years, event in them fine, just the normal standard glasses with no straps or anything, it's not advisable for me to go out without them ;) I managed at Somerford at the weekend in the rain, and I have fallen off in them occasionally and they've always come off better than me :eek:
I always have a spare pair in the wagon and I do occasionally wear disposable lenses but only if it's really chucking it down :)

Angua2

Visit site
another here, standard glasses. occasionally when I can afford it I get contacts, but they are so much faff (but admitedly so much better in wet weather)

I do have a cheap second pair just in case...... and I do mean cheap..... less than £10 from goggles4u.com and for all they are cheap they certainly arn't nasty :)

Have to say agree with the poster above, the glasses survive falls/being chucked off better than the rider

kerilli

Visit site
I usually have contacts in but occasionally wear my glasses for jumping at home. The ultra lightweight ones with just the flexible titanium arms and nose-bridge (no rims) are fantastic, they are bendy and so slim and light that you can't feel the arms down the side of your head inside your crash hat. The lenses are of course plastic not glass (although optician told me glass lenses are hardly ever seen nowadays.)
Contact lenses are great though, honestly, I would not be without them. Once your eyes are used to them they protect the eyes, so maybe your itchy eyes in summer would go?e.g. I can cut up onions when wearing contacts without shedding a single tear... definitely worth a go.

Daytona

Visit site
The thought of touching my eye balls freaks me out.

Always has always will

I'm stuck with glasses for the rest of my days.

CrazyMare

Visit site
I wear contacts 95% of the time. I hate wearing glasses around the horses, and only do so for a bare minimum of time.

There are lots of contacts out there, may just be a little bit of trial and error to find the type that suit, but like Kerilli says, they have a protective effect. Onions have no effect on me when I wear contacts, but I will be streaming if I chop them without!

Dunlin

Visit site
I'm a bit late on this thread but I ride in glasses. They are made by "police" and are titanium so you can bend them around and they never snap/break and are so easy to bend back straight if they do get out of shape. The rims are now 8 years old and still in perfect nick, I just get the lenses changed every year.

The only issue I have ever had is the bits behind my ears often hurt for long days with a hat on so I just got the velvet covers to stop any pressure. I have faceplanted in my glasses before and came out glasses injury free. Although I have shatter-proof lenses, an anti-fog and anti-glare coating on them I cannot wear them in the rain or for anything heavy (x/c or hunting) where I breath more (lol) as they still fog up and get in a right state with rain and mud, mist is unbearable on them so I have contact lenses as a back up.

I promise you that it gets better, I am seriously eyeball phobic, I fainted just having contact lenses fitted and I ran away when I looked into laser eye surgery :eek: Several years on and I can pop the lenses in just fine, any phobia will honestly go away with time and exposure, trust me I was a wimp!

Mickeymoo

Visit site
Thanks for all your replies. Have definately given me lots to think about.

I like the idea of contact lenses protecting my eyes from being itchy, I didn't know that and will be off the the opticians to discuss trying them out.

thanks again. :D

kerilli

Visit site
I don't get hayfever, but something they spray on the field round here occasionally makes my eyes run as if i'm cutting onions, and if I have my contacts in, they don't...
kirstyhen, I agree. My vision's definitely more accurate with contacts.
Mickeymoo, definitely give them a go. They are miraculous. :) :) :)

Purple_Alien

Visit site
Hi, another one late to the thread...

For "every day" riding I wear my glasses, but usually an older pair of frames with my "best" pair in the car.. have fallen off countless times, including some impressive mid-air somersaults, and my glasses have never fallen off or even moved!

I do wear daily disposables for longer riding, ie hacking out over a few hours, competition days, etc, but this is just personal choice. I have actually had two facial injuries in my contacts - one by whipping myself in the face as I fell XC, resulting in nice line across my nose and a pair of black eyes! and the second after going through low branches at high speed, and tearing the contact lens out of my eye with a small bit of branch!! (Luckily eye was fine!) but that wouldn't have happened with the specs on!

It's all down to how well you can see, personal choice, and having that back up pair in the car in case of disaster..