Those who wear stopwatches at Novice BE

SpottedCat

Visit site
Do you always wheel the course to get your minute markers? I don't think I have ever seen anyone wheeling the course at Novice, or at Intermediate for that matter, in fact I think I've only seen it happen at FEI events.

So if you wear one and don't wheel markers, how/why do you use it?

Just curious - I don't even own a stopwatch since my opinion is I don't know enough at Novice level yet to be chasing the time so am better off riding at a speed I feel comfortable with then adding the watch in once I am consistently within the time therefore only giving me one new thing to think about at a time!!

I've just looked and I've been round 11 novice tracks with the pony and only 2 XC faults in those 11 runs (one his fault, one mine, we like to share the blame!), worrying that I don't yet feel we know enough
blush.gif
I am clearly over-cautious since horse and I had never done Novice before so are a bit blind leading the blind (actually he thinks he has 20:20 vision
wink.gif
).

kerilli

Visit site
my first thought on seeing that title was

"...should be shot."

wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
*awaits deluge of abuse*

i have seen people wearing them, jump last fence, check watch, pull up, and walk the last bit. totally ridiculous. i think there's a rule against that now.
i've never had one go faster than a few secs inside novice time, because i go in a rhythm, not flat out!

carthorse

s150.photobucket.com
We don't bother using one as would rather have time penalties and not try to rush . Novice is pretty fast for Penfold so they just try to go as fast as they can comfortably go. Did use one at the 2DE though but really to make sure he didn't go too fast as it was a slower speed and there are penalties for too fast, and of course for road and tracks but they have markers.

ajf

Visit site
I rarely bother with the stopwatch as I just get distracted by it.
Most pros don't wear one unless its at 3days or with older horses/bigger classes.
However if I do novice with my older chap I'll wear one to make sure I don't go to fast (his cruising speed is faster than novice speed from doing Int), but I'm really not that bothered with the speed and if I get time faults for going too slow its because I didn't want to push the horse anymore/didn't feel they could cope with the extra speed.
I'd much rather have a clear and a happy horse with 20+ time pens than a silly mistake with a brake-neck round and a knackered horse.
I think your right to go by "feel"
smile.gif

Oh tip: If you get a watch just practice riding (hacking, cantering, jumping etc) wearing it as it is very odd to start with(or at least I think so!), and trying to press buttons when on top is much harder than when your stood still looking at it
blush.gif
grin.gif

dieseldog

Visit site
I guess if you have a horse that is naturally quick it would be useful, but if your horse is a bit slow it might encourage you to take a risk. Good point about people not knowing what time they should be at which point on the course.

kick_On

Visit site
IMHO - why change???? just to make stuff more complex??? I only very timed myself round a field to know speed, but you clearly don't have issue with B

ajf

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

i have seen people wearing them, jump last fence, check watch, pull up, and walk the last bit. totally ridiculous. i think there's a rule against that now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes there is a rule against this and can get you eliminated or fined or 25pens added to xc score for it! Its something about the last 1/4 of the course and if jump judges see you dramatically reduce you speed anywhere in this section you can be questioned on it.
You should be questioned if you walk/trot over the finish too

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
I never wear one. I have worn one and it made me ride like a lunatic on a horse who was not quick. I stopped taking any kind of pull and just hassled the hell out of him all the way. I also cut corners and rode like I was in a unaff JO. I would like to add I was 17 at the time and knew no better as this was 12 years ago.

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
i wear one.
and i set it so that it counts down (because of no min markers)
if the optimum time is 5mins20 i set it at 4mins20, so that when it gets to 0 and starts beeping and counting up again i know i have one min to get home (as it beeps for one min after u get to 0). then if i go through the finish before it stops beeping i am inside the time.

this means that i can judge how far i have to go in how long near the end of the course, so if my horse has loads left in the tank i can up the pace a bit to get home.
similarly if i am up on the clock i can steady the pace a bit.

i am usually pretty accurate on timing, the only time i have trotted through the finish was at arley, because they changed the time from 520mpm to 500mpm, it was a flat gallopy horse, and my horse is very very fit, so we ended up going 520mpm. therefore i was very up on the clock for 500mpm,,,but would have been accurately on the time had it been 520 mpm..

if that makes sence.

edit to say, i only trotted because i jumped the last, and there was no need to gallop through the finish to try and make the time, like most people do, i just sauntered in pulling him up gently..

deskbound

Visit site
I never used to wear one other than three days, and then would have wheeled - wanted to learn a strong feel for pace/rhythm. Used them when doing interval training to get a clear idea of correct pace etc obviously - IMO better to do that and learn the feel of correct speed than only use at events and always be chasing time.... If I was competing now I would prob use at Int when competitive, because prizes are increasingly hard to come by, and I lost a win on 0.4 time once. Was furious with self!!
blush.gif

Joss

Visit site
I actually did see someone set off with a wheel last weekend, although I didnt watch them to see if they were walking Nov or Intermediate.

worMy, your method of setting the watch to 1 min under the OT really doesnt sound quite right - please be careful. Adrenalin is a powerful thing and could easily cloud your judgement as to how your horse is feeling & kicking on in the last minuite of the course is surely an awful lot worse than being quick away from every fence around the course.

I have never felt the need to wear a watch at a One day as I basically feel I need to go as fast as is comfortable to get the time. I will wear it at a 3 day when i know minuite markers and the course is significantly longer.

The only reason I can think of to wear one is to practise starting the watch & reading it between fences.

worMy

www.katherinebegley.com
[ QUOTE ]
I actually did see someone set off with a wheel last weekend, although I didnt watch them to see if they were walking Nov or Intermediate.

worMy, your method of setting the watch to 1 min under the OT really doesnt sound quite right - please be careful. Adrenalin is a powerful thing and could easily cloud your judgement as to how your horse is feeling & kicking on in the last minuite of the course is surely an awful lot worse than being quick away from every fence around the course.

I have never felt the need to wear a watch at a One day as I basically feel I need to go as fast as is comfortable to get the time. I will wear it at a 3 day when i know minuite markers and the course is significantly longer.

The only reason I can think of to wear one is to practise starting the watch & reading it between fences.

[/ QUOTE ]

its not, as i kick on around the course, if you took the watch away, i would still be inside the time..
normally i dont change anything towards the end of the course.
besides my horses are all increadibly fit and certainly wont be knackered at the end of a novice track.
i just like to have it, because i like to know when i have finished if i am inside or not...

its a very acceptable method--which is infact in the little booklet that it comes with...

popsdosh

Visit site
I fence judged at Belton at least three junior riders were wheeling the novice track (well the PPs were) I found it slightly sad that they felt they needed to rather than setting a good rythm .Most of the hairy moments were due to juniors going to fast and out of control.

ColouredFan

Visit site
I do wear one at Novice, To be honest Its there beeping every minute at me and I just use it as a very rough guide, My horse is fairly quick so I find it prevents me going faster than I need to.

emz206

Visit site
ive worn one at novice quite a few times but thats because i had reverse time faults at milton keynes 2 years ago which cost we 4th place so wasnt going to make that silly mistake again. i ride a pony who i never have to take a pull on as she never comes off a line so although she has little legs and i dont press her ive gone inside the time novice or very close most times. i started wearing it after i did the pony ** at ballindenisk as id never worn one before that and it would have helped if i had so i was more used to it bleeping etc!
to work out my minute markers i see what the time is and then divide the course map up from the schedule so its all an approximate but i find it helpful.

emz206

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i wear one.
and i set it so that it counts down (because of no min markers)
if the optimum time is 5mins20 i set it at 4mins20, so that when it gets to 0 and starts beeping and counting up again i know i have one min to get home (as it beeps for one min after u get to 0). then if i go through the finish before it stops beeping i am inside the time.

this means that i can judge how far i have to go in how long near the end of the course, so if my horse has loads left in the tank i can up the pace a bit to get home.
similarly if i am up on the clock i can steady the pace a bit.

i am usually pretty accurate on timing, the only time i have trotted through the finish was at arley, because they changed the time from 520mpm to 500mpm, it was a flat gallopy horse, and my horse is very very fit, so we ended up going 520mpm. therefore i was very up on the clock for 500mpm,,,but would have been accurately on the time had it been 520 mpm..

if that makes sence.

edit to say, i only trotted because i jumped the last, and there was no need to gallop through the finish to try and make the time, like most people do, i just sauntered in pulling him up gently..

[/ QUOTE ]

i would find this so distracting. i know id hate to have it bleeping at me for a minute! mine annoys me enough for the 3 beeps leading up to the minute markers!

clairel

Visit site
I wear one at Novice, but our rule for Eventing Ireland is different from BE as you can wear one from Intro right up!
Tbh I only wear it on my big chestnut as he is naturally very fast away from fences and doesn't waste any time in the air. We do however still have to take a lot of time setting up!

I don't however feel it makes me ride any differently, I think anyone who would take chances just to be inside the time, shouldn't be allowed to go eventing!
But I have just actually had a look at my record and from 6 novices I've done on him I have had time faults in 4 (ranging from 3.6 to 6.8)
So the long and the short of it is I don't really know why I bother wearing one?!
tongue.gif
I only look at it from about half way round and never alter how we are going anyways!

That was a rather pointless post!
tongue.gif