Those with hairy cobs - feather mites: should I clip? *please help*

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My Draft mare, who I posted about above, has very thick black feather, which has now grown back. The tee-tree seems to have worked but does have to be reapplied about once a week. We also use Cooper's Spot On as a fly repellent, which could be contributing.

Visit site
Hi Teresa I'm in the same boat as HappyNeds I know this post was set a long while ago but I'm hoping your still active on this forum and could give me some advice 😩 I'm at my wits end I bought my traditional pony to show and his field companion is prone to feather mites I use pig oil and sulphur on his feathers and had no problems until yesterday when combing through his feather I found a white crusty lump I'm suspecting to be feather mites I really want to be rid of them before the problem gets worse but I'm reluctant to clip his feathers please help sorry HappyNeds for hijacking your post

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I'm not convinced that all these 'feather mites' are really that. My Draft mare has lots of thickened skin from many years of scratching. The owner immediately prior to me had had Dectomax injections. My vet recommended clipping the feather off to let the air get to her skin. She certainly has pastern dermatitis but I have seen no mites. She is a very hot girl and sweats a lot, summer and winter. I think that her own sweat irritates her skin, if she gets wet, that irritates her skin too. I am currently spraying her legs daily with Tea-tree mist to soothe and protect and with Hypocare to clear up the few scabs that she has atm. This seems to be working. But we have also swapped haylage for hay, in case the acidity was making her worse and she does seem less itchy in general.

And as an update to this;

I have completely overhauled my mare's diet and eliminated even tiny amounts of molasses/sugar and wheat in any form, so no wheatfeed (in treats), no biotin, no Brewers'Yeast.

And now, thank God NO itching!

HappyNeds

Visit site
Hi, it was me that started this thread back in 2011 when we had this problem, and we've found a solution to manage this that's worked brilliantly all these years. I did post about it on another thread in 2012, I'll see if I can link to the thread here, and if not I'll copy the info in here.

It's now been even more years since that 2012 post - and yes it's still working. We now do this once a year only, in spring time usually, and he hasn't itched/stamped/scratched/bitten in years. This has worked for him.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/foru...ick-hairy-cob-feather&p=10849532#post10849532

It's my long post 17 posts down that explains the regeme that's worked. I hope the link works, let me know if not and I will copy the text of the post here instead.

Just wanted to share what's worked so well for us, it's such a relief for our boy to be happy and not to have to see him suffering like he used to. Hope it might help someone else too.

Chrissyd1978

New User
Visit site
Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a very long and detailed note on how to care for hairy horses legs so they are healthy, hairy and in show condition.

Clipping does not get rid of them, if you have a lot of sores and scabs, then yes it is easier to deal with but try what I put in my note first - good old fashioned remedies used for years by the old boys with their heavies.

All my four have not had mites and I have now had hairies for 12 years.

I would like details if this too please as I have a very furry feathery cob but don't know how to send u a I'm
Messege as I'm new to this x
My email is chrissyd1978@gmail.com