those with hogged cobs..........

cob&onion

Visit site
I hogged my youngster last year (autumn time) and clipped her legs and took a strip off her neck and belly and she looked very smart . She has been turned away since october time (i know i should have waited to hog!) and brought back into work this week. She lives out 24/7 with a light fill turn out. She is a very good weight and an excellent doer. I do have access to a stable of needed.
Now she is very hairy and her mane is like a bog brush standing at least 2 - 3 inches on end :eek: her legs are getting very very hairy too.
Am hacking out probably up to 5 x per week, walking out for 20 mins a time. So far shes been okay and not sweaty (surprisingly) under all that hair!
Am really tempted to hog her again as it looks so untidy :eek: but at the same time i don't want her to freeze or look daft with hairy legs, face and a hogged mane!!
So shall i just leave her be till spring and cope with the extra hair OR hog the mane and leave the legs??
What do you do? do you hog year round? what about legs?

supercowpony

Visit site
My horse is in full work year round, and he usually needs clipping every 6 or 7 weeks in summer, and he can last 10 in winter.. (depending on temperature).
However, he has a full clip in autumn, and then a blanket or trace clip in the middle of winter before being fully clipped again in spring (or feb if its warm) and then full clips throughout summer.

I hogged him last september too, and so far he's just been hogged when I've clipped him, so yes he has looked very untidy at times!!

If the messiness annoys you I would probably clip it.. I don't think she'll lose much heat through her mane if she's hairy nearly everywhere else?

Otherwise I'd wait till end of feb or so.. but does depend on temperature and work load.

hope that essay is helpful!:p

cob&onion

Visit site
hmmmm yeah i may wait to see how she gets on with her work load as it increases, if she gets sweaty i can justify clipping her (blanket clip) and doing the hog also and maybe just tidying up the legs a little with scissors :) i can always add a neck rug and up the weight of the rug i it drops.......

rockysmum

Visit site
Our cob was always fully clipped, the lot off, summer and winter.

However this year I didn't bother. Just a low trace, hogged, face trimmed and legs blended. By this I mean thinning and shortening the leg hair but still leaving a little for warmth, takes forever to do though.

supercowpony

Visit site
hmmmm yeah i may wait to see how she gets on with her work load as it increases, if she gets sweaty i can justify clipping her (blanket clip) and doing the hog also and maybe just tidying up the legs a little with scissors :) i can always add a neck rug and up the weight of the rug i it drops.......

I think this is a good idea. :D
Plus I think there is something appealing/comical about my cob when he looks like he has his own portable bog brush. :p