Those with horses and young kids...

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I’m sure I’m not alone right now but really struggling with the whole riding/childcare thing in this pandemic. Now my husband has returned to work he is pretty much flat out (needs to be, catching up financially to do!!) and my 2 kids are unlikely to go back to school until September and grandparents currently can’t help... I haven’t ridden in weeks and just can’t see how I will manage. Usually the kids would be at school and I have 3 week days off and one at the weekend so could ride at least 4 times a week.
I am torn between admitting it won’t happen until September and turning them away, or getting some sort of plan in place and getting up early and making it happen?
What are others doing? How are you making it work? Any tips? Thanks

Littlebear

Visit site
So we both work but I work from home hence now child is with me all the time.
Either you need to get up crack of dawn and ride and get back before he goes (my partner goes at 7:30) so would mean a 5am start for me
Or you go back late when he gets home in the eves which I have made work in the past.
But right now I’m not really trying we are just muddling through rather than worrying about anything too much x
If you have got the option to turn away I would probably do that and take the pressure off of yourself x

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Yes I am working from home as well so with the kids all day. I’m mentally exhausted by 6pm, so not sure I could make myself ride then. Mornings are an option, I’d probably have to get up about 6.15am which isn’t too bad , although I am not a morning person. My worry about turning away is that this situation won’t be sorted by September so maybe I have to find a new normal?

PSD

Visit site
My filly is only 2 so I don’t obviously ride but I like to establish groundwork and get her out walking where possible. I have a 5 year old and 2 year old, they go to bed around 7.30 so at the moment I’m just going to the yard once they’re in bed as OH is home, fed and settled from work (Man child) so he just has a bit of chill time whilst I go out.

If you have the option to turn away I would, rather than add more stress to yourself. Try not to worry about whether we’re still in this situation by September, as you know it changes weekly so play it week by week.

It’s such a strange time at the moment and I think we just have to sort of “live in the moment” as we simply cannot plan ahead yet.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
One of my horses is a youngster but he is already turned away so that doesn’t bother me so much right now although it would be nice to get some groundwork in place but that can wait I suppose. My ridden one would be fine being turned away, I think I’m just struggling with the lack of routine, I like to have a plan in place!

dogatemysalad

Visit site
I'm a morning person, so when the kids were young, I used to ride a 6am. If I took a few days off, it was harder to get back into the routine though. It was easier to do it every weekday because it just became normal and automatic. At weekends, I had more flexibility.
However, the current situation is exceptional. Don't feel guilty and pressure yourself. It's enough to keep the family functioning and yourself well and healthy. If you run yourself into the ground, it'll affect the family and the horses.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Thank you everyone. I feel like I’ve become so lazy but I think I’m just mentally tired from having the kids around constantly. I flit between thinking a set routine would be good for me right now to just turning them away and reassessing in the autumn. Every day I change my mind!!

Reri1826

Visit site
Are they old enough to walk with you safely if you went hacking? (And the horse safe!)

There’s also nothing wrong with the iPad in the car for a babysitter while you nip in the school
;)

Weekends you need to do a deal- you get first dibs on a time slot to suit you and OH has the kids. You do not answer the phone unless someone is en route to hospital!

I think it would feel better to know you are getting a weekend of at least a couple of hours, then you could see about 1/2 early mornings or later evenings.

Mine is more or less retired but still needs to keep moving, I’ve not ridden and I’ve managed one walk since the youngest was born thanks to breastfeeding and an inability to express combined with lack of motivation.

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
Are they old enough to walk with you safely if you went hacking? (And the horse safe!)

There’s also nothing wrong with the iPad in the car for a babysitter while you nip in the school
;)

Weekends you need to do a deal- you get first dibs on a time slot to suit you and OH has the kids. You do not answer the phone unless someone is en route to hospital!

I think it would feel better to know you are getting a weekend of at least a couple of hours, then you could see about 1/2 early mornings or later evenings.

Mine is more or less retired but still needs to keep moving, I’ve not ridden and I’ve managed one walk since the youngest was born thanks to breastfeeding and an inability to express combined with lack of motivation.

hi
Yes they are, in fact last week I hacked and they rode their bikes, we had a nice time actually.
the more I think about it, the more it’s about a lack of motivation rather than anything else. I’ve clearly not adapted well to having my normal routine removed. I used to ride after work at 5.30pm so not sure why I can’t do it now lol!

MagicMelon

Visit site
Can you ride after the kids go to bed? Otherwise are they old enough to entertain themselves somewhere safe where you can see them while you ride? I used to let my eldest play in the garden while I rode (my field is right beside the garden). Now I have a 2yo too, I only ride if my OH is around (he is working from home just now) otherwise I'll go and lunge with my 2yo standing beside me, he quite enjoys being involved.

We're all exhausted of having our kids around all the time, its a nightmare!!

Reri1826

Visit site
I’m exactly the same, and the weirdness of the current situation makes it much worse! My OH went back to work last week and I’ve achieved nothing since he went, but it’s all my own fault!

clairefeekerry1

Visit site
I’ve become lazy and overweight with lock down. My fault, I’ve allowed this to happen. I’ve become too comfortable with doing virtually nothing.