Those with lami prone ponies / horses - spring flush

Wheels

Visit site
Hi all

One of my ponies is showing signs of mild lami, a bit shuffley and he has a raised digital pulse. He is a bit tubby but not hugely overweight. Looking back over the spring I think this is possibly not the first low grade episode hes had.

The first time I suspect he had it though he wasnt overweight at all, no fat pads or crest. So a question for those of you with lami prone horses and ponies, can a spring flush or stressed grass cause a lami episode with a non overweight pony?

Should say we have a vet visit booked for tomorrow and I'm wondering whether to test for ems

Chianti

Visit site
I think anything can get it at any time. It's a very nasty condition. I had one get it because the farrier trimmed her feet far too short and another got it on box rest because of stress.

PSD

Visit site
It absolutely can. People assume fat ponies are the only ones who can get it, which is wrong. There are many causes, always worth checking for EMS. That’s what my mare had, she wasn’t overweight but very symptomatic of an EMS pony. I’m glad you’ve caught it early, it is the worst possible thing any horse and owner could go through in my experience. The weather at the minute is creating very lush grass and it’s frightening the life out of me.

I wouldn’t wish laminitis on my worst enemy. I hope your boy is feeling better soon.

Wheels

Visit site
It absolutely can. People assume fat ponies are the only ones who can get it, which is wrong. There are many causes, always worth checking for EMS. That’s what my mare had, she wasn’t overweight but very symptomatic of an EMS pony. I’m glad you’ve caught it early, it is the worst possible thing any horse and owner could go through in my experience. The weather at the minute is creating very lush grass and it’s frightening the life out of me.

I wouldn’t wish laminitis on my worst enemy. I hope your boy is feeling better soon.

Thank you, he has already perked up, digital pulse is still up a little but struggling to find it at times which is a good sign.

Will see what the vet says tomorrow but it's very worrying, thankfully they are at home and I do have a yard and lane way for them to be on for now. I think an all weather turnout, albeit small, will be on the cards!

PSD

Visit site
Thank you, he has already perked up, digital pulse is still up a little but struggling to find it at times which is a good sign.

Will see what the vet says tomorrow but it's very worrying, thankfully they are at home and I do have a yard and lane way for them to be on for now. I think an all weather turnout, albeit small, will be on the cards!

that’s good news! Catching it early is always better. It’s such a worrying time when the weather is like this, once you’ve had one with it too it’s like a paranoia. Mines only 2 and I’m still stressing over grass levels because I lost my other to it last month

Nudibranch

Visit site
The flush has come late here, due to the very dry spring. Mine were doing well until about a month ago. The one I have most trouble with is borderline EMS, so it's definitely worth testing. Also PPID if you haven't already.

PoniesRock

Visit site
Hi all

One of my ponies is showing signs of mild lami, a bit shuffley and he has a raised digital pulse. He is a bit tubby but not hugely overweight. Looking back over the spring I think this is possibly not the first low grade episode hes had.

The first time I suspect he had it though he wasnt overweight at all, no fat pads or crest. So a question for those of you with lami prone horses and ponies, can a spring flush or stressed grass cause a lami episode with a non overweight pony?

Should say we have a vet visit booked for tomorrow and I'm wondering whether to test for ems

Honestly.... lami in a none fat pony has become the bane of my life!! My Connie had full blown lami 2 years ago. Took me 8 months to get her back right and able to turn her out again! When she went down with it she was the peak of fitness, had just done our first ODE and she was farrr from the classic overweight lami pony. She was only ever marginally not quite right never your typical rocking back type.

Last week she had a bit of a blip, raised pulse in one foot and was very marginally not 100% out on exercise, But it was intermittent. Got back from hacking, raised pulse and heat in one foot! Kept her in for a week and nothing has come of it. I’m blaming the random weather and the fact the grass doesn’t know if it’s coming or going. I also find it really hard to know what’s the best. She’s out by night on sweet F all grass, but the issue with that is that she’s eating all of the short sweet sugary grass, but I darent let her have too much of the nice grass the other side of the fence either!

Wheels

Visit site
Honestly.... lami in a none fat pony has become the bane of my life!! My Connie had full blown lami 2 years ago. Took me 8 months to get her back right and able to turn her out again! When she went down with it she was the peak of fitness, had just done our first ODE and she was farrr from the classic overweight lami pony. She was only ever marginally not quite right never your typical rocking back type.

Last week she had a bit of a blip, raised pulse in one foot and was very marginally not 100% out on exercise, But it was intermittent. Got back from hacking, raised pulse and heat in one foot! Kept her in for a week and nothing has come of it. I’m blaming the random weather and the fact the grass doesn’t know if it’s coming or going. I also find it really hard to know what’s the best. She’s out by night on sweet F all grass, but the issue with that is that she’s eating all of the short sweet sugary grass, but I darent let her have too much of the nice grass the other side of the fence either!

Sorry to hear that! I think it might be the stressed grass as I was trying not to let it get too long and that probably wasnt very helpful