those with more than 2 horses to ride.....

lucky7

Visit site
I have 3 horses and did have a plan to sell one, the one that unfortunitly has a spinal problem but after 1 year off work is going to have treatment in the next few weeks so hopefully will be back to being a riding horse once again. This mare is very quirky although brilliant in traffic and a nice responsive ride she can have her moments. She loves jumping and where really hoping she can re-start her riding life again even if its a light hacking one. If the spinal problems had not come to light she was going to be sold on. However now i realize she could easily fall into the wrong hands so have made the decision to keep her.
The next horse is one i backed last summer and i have had since she was a foal. She was always going to be my main riding horse, currently turned away till spring.
The other is a super flashy big moving welsh colt who has a temprement to die for aswell as excellent conformation. Plans where/are to show him inhand and do dressage with him in the future.
However i am under alot of pressure from alot of people to sell at least one as apparently no-one has time to ride 3, people keep saying oh so who are you going to sell? i think you should sell so and so et etc. Even my horsey mum who lives over 100 miles away thinks i will be unable to manage riding 3 horses aswell as holding down a part time (horsey) job........and thinks i should sell my colt :(
So just how realistic is it to manage 3 horses in full work? :confused:
I work approx 18 hours per week, mainly mornings 4 days per week and have 2 school age children and an OH who works at home. Whats wrong with riding them 5 days per week with wknds off riding to spend with the kids?
I could always get a sharer to help out too.
Does anyone else have more than 2 horses in ridden work with a part time job and a family?
or should i take advice and sell one? but which one??
I don't get why people seem to think am mad?!

Fantasy_World

Visit site
At the end of the day you should do what makes you happy as life is too short.
I have 4 horses although can only ride 2 of them at the moment. I do have help with them though in care and riding too.
You should not listen to others saying that you should sell one of them. I used to get it and still do as people will say why do you want 4. 2 I had as people no longer wanted them, and the other 2 were bought, with one being for the future as too young at the moment. However I am attached to them so will never sell, get rid unless I really, really did have to.
There is nothing wrong at all in spending time with your horses 5 days a week and then the weekend with the family. When the children are older though I would wholeheartedly say get them involved too, even if just with the grooming to start. I think children should be around animals as much as possible. I think it teaches them respect for animals and each other. Also some people can be scared of horses and quite often I have found it is because they were with parents/grandparents that were scared of them themselves and didn't interact with them. Same with dogs and cats really too. Although can understand if a child is attacked by a dog and the mental scars it leaves ( sorry digressing).
But yes enjoy them, and keep all 3 only if YOU feel it is the right thing to do. Don't be bullied into decisions because at the end of the day it is your choice not THEIRS.

lucky7

Visit site
At the end of the day you should do what makes you happy as life is too short.
I have 4 horses although can only ride 2 of them at the moment. I do have help with them though in care and riding too.
You should not listen to others saying that you should sell one of them. I used to get it and still do as people will say why do you want 4. 2 I had as people no longer wanted them, and the other 2 were bought, with one being for the future as too young at the moment. However I am attached to them so will never sell, get rid unless I really, really did have to.
There is nothing wrong at all in spending time with your horses 5 days a week and then the weekend with the family. When the children are older though I would wholeheartedly say get them involved too, even if just with the grooming to start. I think children should be around animals as much as possible. I think it teaches them respect for animals and each other. Also some people can be scared of horses and quite often I have found it is because they were with parents/grandparents that were scared of them themselves and didn't interact with them. Same with dogs and cats really too. Although can understand if a child is attacked by a dog and the mental scars it leaves ( sorry digressing).
But yes enjoy them, and keep all 3 only if YOU feel it is the right thing to do. Don't be bullied into decisions because at the end of the day it is your choice not THEIRS.

Thank you :)
Yes the children do come and help out, but they tend not to do as much in the winter as they complain about the cold/mud etc :rolleyes: however in the summer my daughter particularly like to help out with them. Planning on starting them at the local riding school to start with to see if they show more of an interest in riding this year.

EnduroRider

Visit site
Three endurance horses all in work, all on diy livery and a full time 9-5 job. Planning is key, and a horse walker is bloody useful!

be positive

Visit site
It seems that at the moment you are not able to ride any of them so I would keep them all until you know whether your one with the back problem is going to end up in full work or not, possibly find someone to hack her for you or loan her, bring on the 2 younger ones and if you cannot do them both sell one then.
I would not let others make choices for you if you feel you can cope and enjoy them that is your decision not theres.

lucky7

Visit site
time management! only you know if you can do it, manage it and make it work! but it can be done if you are only working part time!

Yes i think i can do it its just all the bugging i get of certain people :rolleyes:

I expect 2 of them will be in work this summer for sure, as for the colt - he is only rising 2 so a while for him yet, he's not doing any harm, not costing anything. Sometimes i just wish people would butt out :(

I would have a whole field full if i had more land ;) can't get enough of my neddies :D

Spotsrock

Visit site
40 hour week and non horsey oh. I ride before work every day and after work monday wednesday friday then weekend. Can't see weekend off being problem. Lots of people only ride at weekends.

Jesstickle

Visit site
I don't think they're is anything wrong with riding 5x a week. My pair rarely get done that often tbh. Doesn't seem to do them any harm.

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
If you're not doing something that requires the horses to be really fit, then there is no reason to ride all of them every day - two or three times a week for each horse would keep them ticking over.. Ride and lead is always useful too! Tell all your critics that you are going to give it a year/6 months and see how it works out before you decide to sell one or not.

ofcourseyoucan

Visit site
well the colt is only rising 2!!!!!!! so you have 2 ridden and a youngster that wants handling/mannering for half hour every 3 to 4 days! as before time management! can easily be done between 18 hrs of work! if you want it to be done!

Tuffles 23

Visit site
Hi i have 2 kids and 2 part time jobs and 3 ponies (2 jobs to pay for ponies) i part loan my horse at the weekends which is a huge help and he (horse) is happy with that :p but i ride my son's jumping pony in the week to keep her fit and the little one (tiny waleh A) gets a bit here and there and as she's a lazy moo she's happy :) and being winter we may think we should be doing this that and the outher but really do we really need to ?