Those with turned away rising 4 yr olds....

cob&onion

Visit site
My cob was backed last summer (july time) and has been turned away since mid october so has had a good 3 months off turned out 24/7 doing nothing. She will be 4 in April.
I am thinking of bringing her back into work in the next few weeks since the weather has been alot milder and drier than expected.
I also have my TB to bring back into work after her treatment and would like to start them together (obviously at seperate times!) so i can have them hacking out together (with another rider)
At first just a few short walks round the lanes then build her up slowly. No school where i am and not till i bring them back home in about april time so just hacking for now.
How long do/did you turn away for?
I was going to long rein for the first few times to get her used to the area (not been here long) or would you just get on and get on with it?
She was hacking out alone and did a bit of schooling before she was turned away and is a very laid back sort.
Thanks, she is my first horse i have backed etc myself :)

Last edited:

debsg

Visit site
My TB mare was backed the summer before last, turned away in Oct 2010 until Feb 2011 then brought back into work. Tbh, I just got straight back on and gently hacked, gradually building up the distance and time, mainly in walk with just occasional trot work and the odd canter in a field during last summer. She hasn't done much this winter, but will resume work soon and I will be competing her locally (showing, teeny jumping and WH)this year. She is also very laid back.
Good luck with your baby xx.

TopTotty

Visit site
My little mare was lunged and leant over last June and then we moved house and have no school. :( She has been turned away since then. At the end of March she is going to my friends up the road who's school I hack to for a few weeks and I will start her again.:) I will start at the beginning as if I haven't done anything with her. My three year old will probably go when she comes home and I would like to start him and back him before giving him next winter off. You can only do what you can do!!!! :D

Boxers

Visit site
My boy was backed and hacked nad schooled very lightly from July to September. Turned away at the beginning of October and is still out there. He will come back around the end of February. He will be 4 in June.

I think we will start long reining and lunging for a week or so before putting on his tack and getting him used to it all again. Probably sit on him about 2 weeks after we get him back. Hope to do a little cubbing next autumn and some teeny tiny shows/SJ. Then maybe turn away again from November to January next winter.