Thought i was winning... the another one appears

joanne1920

Visit site
Please read cracked heels on a gypsy cob for the orginal...
Now ive got another crack... what do i do.. wash the dreadlocked mud off with hibiscrub, towel dry and add more heel to hoof in the morning? or do i just keep slapping the cream on????..... HELP!!!

lusty

Visit site
I find sudocrem really helps, my cob suffers really bad with cracked heels. to keep it under control he only goes out for a couple of hours a day so that his not in wet conditions for long.
smile.gif

joanne1920

Visit site
and not just another one now...... more are spreading now with two appearing on his other back leg which was clear, the original graze that cracked is much better, but with all these others coming up his legs are really sore, im still putting on heel to hoof on the scabs, and today ive kept him in so i can get another lot of cream on tonight... any ideas? he has robinsons prevent it on the other 3 legs and heel to hoof on bad one.....

apkelly01

Visit site
Hi,
Have you tried Equicreme? My horse got Mud fever on her hind legs. I kept her in for a few days while I tried to get a handle on it. I washed her legs down with a anti-fungal/anti- bacterial shampoo. Then I sponged them down with a diluted detol solution (anti - septic/anti-bacterial). Then dried the legs as best as I could with serveral towels and finally treated the area with Equicreme. She's back in the field again (with a barrier cream for mud and water), and everytime I bring her in or finish riding her, I follow the routine above. It takes a bit of time to do, but touch wood, 2 weeks later, the mud rash has disappeared, the wounds have healed and the hair is starting to grow back.
I wish you all the best with it, it's quite a frustrating condition to deal with,

Regards
Aileen