Thoughts and advice please

cbmcts

Visit site
Sitting at home at the moment musing...

Two weeks ago I lost my beloved rottweiler to bone cancer - he was the subject of another thread here - and while I knew he wasn't going to make old bones due to an adrenal tumour and other issues I really didn't expect to lose him so quickly iYSWIM.

I miss him dreadfully but in an odd way I'm glad that he isn't going to suffer anymore and that I didn't have the months of worrying was he ok, was it time to make a decision yet and so on (as anybody whoever had a terminally ill pet will understand, I hope.)

I also have the 'demon' terrier, 10 years old, very cute, bright but with a tendency to try and savage other dogs as an introduction, after that he usually settles down and plays. He lived very happily with the rottie and my previous ancient JRT in the 20 months since I've had him but I have to be realistic here he can be a little s**t with other dogs :eek: Buuuut and this is the big but the rottie was a saint among dogs when it came to stroppy little terriers - he never, ever retaliated even when they were really having a pop at him and he had plenty of practise in this patience as he lived with 2 bitches (who were fairly nice to him unless he stood on them!) and also spent huge amounts of time with up to 8 extra at the yard who often weren't at all nice to him. The old JRT was a benign dictator who even at 20 years had the d terrier on his back with her jaws round his neck once or twice until he remembered his manners.

The dilemma I have now is in 2 parts

I miss having a big dog. I miss the size and the big dog personality. I've had a fair few rotts and rott crosses since I was a child and I love the breed. This last dog was special though and I adored him despite or maybe because he had so many (physical) problems. I'm afraid that I'll try and replace him or even worse compare another dog to him. I made a bit of a mistake getting d terrier a bit too quickly after I lost another dog very suddenly - a suitable dog became available quickly in rescue when I thought it would take a while - and I struggled a bit as they were similar breed and looks but miles apart in personality! I do love him to bits though.

The other part is that d terrier is pining - he pined when the old girl went and he is really missing the big dog, his playmate. I work so he is at home alone when I'm out . Sometimes he can come to work with me but it does depend on where I am based at the time and at the moment I'm on client sites (Smelly, gobby terrier definitely not welcome there!) So, a lonely friendless pup at home right now. Even so, will he start a ruck with a new 'friend' while I'm out and I'll come back to one or both injured?

Right, finally getting to the point - I want to think about a new dog, it can't be a puppy because of all the obvious reasons, no reputable breeder will sell to a full time worker, I would struggle to house train etc with work especially at this time of year, being left for too long etc, etc so it would have to be a rescue. I do have contacts at a rescue that will rehome a suitable ie older, used to being left dog with me despite working. But is it too much of a risk of a nasty dog fight? Is it a lot to ask of any dog. let alone a potentially unknown dog to put up with gob on a stick without retaliating when I can't give constant supervision? Crating while I'm out isn't an option because of the length of time and anyway the whole point is for DT to have a friend... really, can I safely find a saint?

I know I'm making little dog out to be a horror - well, he can be :D but most of the time he plays very happily and well with other dogs but if there's a dispute his teeth do come into use and as soon as the other dog backs down, the game starts again. He's just got little man syndrome .

Opinions, ideas?

I've just started on a packet of bourbons that I'll happily share but you'll need to be quick :eek:

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Firstly, so sorry for your loss, it's such an unfair way to lose a much loved pet :(

Secondly, I did the same thing, two weeks after Jake died, off I merrily went to view a litter, came back with two puppies :eek: The timing was awful, I resented them for ages for not being the dog I lost. You won't be replacing and a new dog will be very different, you will love it for different reasons.

The issue appears to be the terrorist's aggression: I know exactly what you mean, Zak must attack then will be best mates with another dog. If you do find a dog, then can you take time off to do the whole introductions thing and to keep them separately/one crated until you're sure they're happy with each other?

Keep the bourbons, I'm munching on a Bounty :D

cbmcts

Visit site
Bourbons?? What bourbons?? *they're all gone:eek:how did that happen?*

Yes, the problem is the terrorist - what an apt name for him:p

I've been so lucky over the years in that I've always been able to bring new/visiting/foster dogs into the house without thinking twice - any scraps were noisy but harmless mainly because the old girl didn't tolerate any nonsense from anything or anybody so order always reigned in her kingdom :D

I think I'll have a chat soon with the rescue, see what they think and maybe ask them to think of me if something that might be suitable comes up. I know they have a very long waiting list of dogs to come in for rehoming so there might be a dog on that (that's how I got little dog, his previous owner was being evicted for having an 'unauthorised' pet)

Meanwhile, I'll retrieve demon from the garden where he is waging his own war on fireworks and making a bigger racket than the bombs :eek:

Faro

Visit site
Ask the rescue centre if they are prepared to do "dog mixes". Take your terrierist to the rescue centre and allow him to meet the potential new dog - as many times as possible if the rescue place will allow it. See how they get on there, away from terrierist's home territory initially. If it looks promising, then there you go...

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
so sorry to hear about your big dog, they leave such a void when they go......i know you cant crate while you are at work but you can get some high baby/dog gates ( argos used to do them) so you could keep one of them in the kitchen (or any other room) but they could still see each other and this would avoid either getting hurt. (rather like putting horses in fields next door before putting them in together) hope you find a solution and are able to rehome a needy dog....

Star_Chaser

Visit site
Can you take a bit of holiday or work from home to do the introductions then to start split through the time your away?

There are rescues that will rehome to people who work if the right dog comes along and there are so many going through rescue at the moment and a significant lack of homes so if the right dog comes along I'd go for it.

cbmcts

Visit site
Ask the rescue centre if they are prepared to do "dog mixes". Take your terrierist to the rescue centre and allow him to meet the potential new dog - as many times as possible if the rescue place will allow it. See how they get on there, away from terrierist's home territory initially. If it looks promising, then there you go...

They positively encourage that so will do it. The other thing I was hoping they'd allow was for the potential new dog to visit for a weekend or something similar a few times but I do know that is a big ask as they are a small organisation and can only have a few dogs in kennels at a time.

so sorry to hear about your big dog, they leave such a void when they go......i know you cant crate while you are at work but you can get some high baby/dog gates ( argos used to do them) so you could keep one of them in the kitchen (or any other room) but they could still see each other and this would avoid either getting hurt. (rather like putting horses in fields next door before putting them in together) hope you find a solution and are able to rehome a needy dog....

Thank you.

I'm hoping to avoid that if possible as they have a (rottie) sized dog flap to a locked secure bit of garden and there is only one door that both would need to access but it's certainly a temporary option.

Can you take a bit of holiday or work from home to do the introductions then to start split through the time your away?

There are rescues that will rehome to people who work if the right dog comes along and there are so many going through rescue at the moment and a significant lack of homes so if the right dog comes along I'd go for it.

Oh I'm planning to :D any excuse. Mind you, DT usually minds his few manners around me - it's when I'm not here to roar or spray water at him that I worry about!

Thanks all:cool: