Thoughts appreciated on soundness - video

Marnie

Visit site
Delilah is about 14 months old and probably at least half trotter. She came to me as a companion for my companion pony after I lost my cob mare. She has been with me about 2 months, after being hardly touched before we can now lead pretty well, can be groomed etc. I have had problems picking up one foot - and only that foot, I can pick out and tap all the others. With the one foot she will pull it away sharply and get very agitated - in complete contrast to the others. Watching her in the field, I am not sure that she is completely sound. It is difficult to tell as I haven't been able to trot her up, put her on the lunge etc - just piece together some video clips of her moving around this evening.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on her movement in the video - bearing in mind she is all over the place! I won't say which leg I am concerned about yet.

Thank you in advance for any thoughts ?

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
I've watched the videos - and it's really hard to tell anything much from them - doesn't look too lame to me.
She does appear to have a slightly swollen left knee though (her left) and seems to stand a little over at the knee on it, and to a lesser extent the RF.
You say that she makes a fuss picking up one leg - but this often means it is the opposite one that they don't want to weight bear on.

Are you feeding her much? If so, I'd stop.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Suspicious about right hind but you really need to get her trotted up or lunged on flat ground, a vet will need that anyway. She could be reluctant either to bend the right hind or to pick up the left hind and weight bear on the right.

PS it's very slight if there is anything, I wouldn't be rushing to call a vet myself.

Melody Grey

Visit site
Off side hind looks consistently short to me and not much movement through SI region into lower back....but admittedly difficult to tell from the video....more trot would be helpful although I appreciate it’s a bit freestyle!!

lovely markings though :)

Marnie

Visit site
Thank you all - I appreciate that the video is not the best ?

It is the off / right hind that I was a bit concerned about, it is the leg that she won't pick up whether I try it first, last or in the middle and I am not always sure that she is quite sound on it. Just to answer a question further up, she is only getting a handful of happy hoof, grass overnight and hay during the day. She is having her feet trimmed tomorrow so I will see how she gets on with that and go from there.

Thanks again!

TheMule

Visit site
She is at a really awkward stage of development and they do some funky things when growing. This looks high up to me but could easily just be a weakness at this point in time. Because I suspect stifles the most I would want her out and moving around as much as possible so help strengthen then muscles around them, preferably in a large, gently sloping field. I would also have her seen by a physio.

Antw23uk

Visit site
She is at a really awkward stage of development and they do some funky things when growing. This looks high up to me but could easily just be a weakness at this point in time. Because I suspect stifles the most I would want her out and moving around as much as possible so help strengthen then muscles around them, preferably in a large, gently sloping field. I would also have her seen by a physio.

Oh blimey yes, out all the time for definite. She needs to be walking around on that, totally agree.

OP see what your farrier says, there part of 'the team' as well :)

MissTyc

Visit site
Yep - farrier and a good chiro and a good physio for that one. I tend not to panic with younger horses being unlevel (or even lame, depending on presentation) because they do grow awkwardly. And they can need support to grow straight and strong, but they have years to achieve that. My meat money write-off youngsters have turned into some of the best horses I've ever had.

Trouper

Visit site
Agree with others - right hind stood out for me fairly clearly but seemed to come from hind quarters rather than lower leg. Think I might ask a physio to give her the once over to see if it is just tightness to start with as she can kick up with the left hind very well!!!

southerncomfort

Visit site
What a little cracker she is :)

Growing pains and potentially stifle in the future is my guess and nothing she wont grow out of ... just my opinion :)

My thoughts were along these lines. She looks weak and lacking muscle and a bit clumsy as all babies are.

For what it's worth my youngster was a bit protective over one hind foot for a while. No soundness issues at all and with regular handling he soon stopped snatching etc.