Thoughts on behaviour?

Olliepoppy

Visit site
After having my boy for 6 months I thought I was getting to know him... It seems not...After his summer field has been grazed to a mm he has been turned out in the big field with about 20 sheep. For the first few days he came back to his field at night. The last 3 days he has been in the big field 24/7. I went to get him today to give him a groom and generally say hello. He stood in his field to be groomed quite happily, needed polo encouragement to have his feet picked out but was generally well behaved. I have 9 poles on the ground in his wee field so thought I would do a bit of leading him over these in walk and trot. He turned into a livewire! We walked/trotted over them in different directions but he started head tossing and crossing in front of me. Then he started a high pitch whinny and rearing up?? It's very windy today and he seemed a bit spooky but he has never reared before and he did it twice. I calmed him walked him a bit more then turned him back out to the big field as was feeling a bit nervous. He cantered off to shake up the sheep then went back to grazing. Any thoughts as to why he was like this? The wind? Being boss of the sheep? Being asked to do something when he's not been ridden for a couple of weeks? And any ideas how I should handle it? I'm not that confident with half a ton jumping about at the end of the lead rope! :(

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
I'd guess it was some of all you've mentioned plus a general lack of respect plus he's feeling all that extra grass. If you've had him six months you shouldn't need to be bribing him with polos to pick his feet up! Don't ask him, TELL him that he picks his feet up - praise when he does. I'd stick him back in the small field until you can fence off a small section of the large field.

Olliepoppy

Visit site
He picks his feet up fine when I ask but then pulls out of my hand and promptly puts them back down again! I don't know how to get him to keep them up..

JFTDWS

Visit site
I agree with j*a. He's fresh, had no work and lots of grass. I'd get him working to take the edge off.

He picks his feet up fine when I ask but then pulls out of my hand and promptly puts them back down again! I don't know how to get him to keep them up..

Keep hold. Don't let go ;) That sort of behaviour woul earn mine a right smack.

paddi22

Visit site
you have to be prepared for him to pull and not let him. watch how farriers do it. once he realises he's wasting more energy trying and failing he will just stop. Pulling feet away from you is a big sign of disrespect (if its not pain related) and when you stop him doing small disrespectful things then the larger ones solve themselves. Stand safe and ready at his side and keep hold of his hoof no matter what, you have to win the battle.

MyBoyChe

Visit site
Im a great believer in needing to have a horse for 12 months before you really know them. They do change with the seasons :) My highland pony, who is as cool as a cucumber for most of the year always perks up a bit in autumn and becomes quite spooky and silly. Spring doesnt seem to affect him much but the autumn flush of grass combined with the weather changing seem to fluster him a bit. I would think with your boy, is is a bit of everything you mention. Could you lunge him in the smaller field, get him working and thinking. Our grass is still growing so there is still some goodness in it.

Kallibear

Visit site
Sounds like he was being rude bad mannered tit. It also sounds like he's generally walks all over you. Today was just an more extreme example of that

I personally would have given him a *******ing, probably a hard smack and told him to cut it out. But I'm an experienced and confident handler and would have no issue facing up to him and laying out the ground rules. That doesn't really help you if you're nervous.

He's basically just being a horse. It's what horses do. They all get excitable and fizzy on too much grass, not enough work and little disciple.

It also sounds like he doesn't have any horsey friends? That will make many horses edgy and difficult.

Reducing his grass and upping his exercise will go some way to help but you are going to need to up your game and be much stricter and assertive. That you still need to bribe him to pick his feet up after 6 months is ridiculous!

It's not easy to advise on how to be stricter etc without actually being there. It's most about timing, body language and expectations. Someone local to you could maybe recommend an instructor to come out and help you with the groundwork?

SusieT

Visit site
Take him out in a lunge rope and bridle, do the exercise again and when he rears send him forwrds on the lunge in canter (so long as you can keep hold of him - if you can't you may need to start in the school!) so he can get all the bucking and farting and rearing out of his system.

Clodagh

Visit site
It sounds as though you keep him on your own? I would really recommend moving to a livery yard, his behaviour will only get worse with the current set up. Next time your farrier comes out ask him to show you how the keep the foot up, it isn't a battle of strength at all it is matter of balance, they sort of use the horse against himself. Less grass, more work, someone strong willed in charge of him (that can be you!) and you will soon be onwards and upwards. Good luck.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Practise ground control, if he is bolshy use a bridle, but make sure he will stand, back up and circle on request, as for pulling his feet away, don't get into a battle, if he pulls his foot away, pick it up again and hold for a few seconds then put it down, don't just let go, I ask for 'foot' and mine pick their feet up, just increase the time you hold the foot up for, be consistent and calm, it doesn't take long and praise when he does what you ask. With my 4yr old, I go from growling at him to whispering sweet nothings, but nothings rushed and I never shout in frustration.
Another thought, handle your horse expecting him to behave and most times he will, you are in charge not him, believe that

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Keep hold. Don't let go ;) That sort of behaviour woul earn mine a right smack.

Agree with this. Mine would get a growl and an elbow for that behaviour and I certainly wouldn't be letting go.

Am I right in thinking you keep your horse with just the sheep for company? You may find your horse is better in a livery yard set up with other horses for company.

I always thought it was just H's nature to be on his toes the whole time but a move from individual turnout to herd turnout at a new yard transformed him into a different, much calmer horse.

JillA

Visit site
First off with a horse who does that I wouldn't be attempting any kind of work with him in an open field - it is too easy for him to succeed in getting away from you and reinforcing the behaviour. Can you take him to somewhere a bit more confined, and if he stresses because he is away from his buddies, treat as for separation anxiety - i.e. start with a very brief period and build so long as he is relaxed, and do it as often as you can. He will learn he does go back to his friends so there is no need to stress.
If he persists in snatching his foot away, hold it by hooking your fingers over the toe, it is far harder for him to get away from you if you do it that way rather than actually holding it and he will feel less restrained. Once he is relaxed about it you can hold it so he is used to a foot professional doing that again.
But a good herd situation will probably lower his general stress levels as GG2B says.
I would suggest that any of the coercive methods suggested (smacking, hanging on when he is clearly desperate to get away) will have one result - you will have a real problem catching him!

Olliepoppy

Visit site
Thanks for all comments.. I have been doing lots of groundwork with him in the small field (I don't have a school) and he will back up on voice command, will turn in small circles from me just raising my hand up to his side and turning his head ever so slightly, none of which he would do when I first got him. He has learnt to lead well (used to barge/cross over me) but still tries to use me as a scratching post (I can't seem to quite get him out of that yet). All of these things he couldn't do when I first got him and we have got there with patience. I'm not an advocate of smacking so have used reward when he gets it right, usually just stroking or release of pressure and 'good boy' but sometimes polos too! That's why I was surprised at his behaviour yesterday as he is never normally like that. Yes, he can still try it on, he is young and we are still relatively new to each other. He can play up when lunging on the right rein as he finds it harder but I never let him away with it and keep him going. It is only when he gets put in the big field that his behaviour changes, at first I thought it was because he was being boss of the cows who were there at the time but now I think it is maybe just too much grass! When I first got him he was very bolshy/pushy and this was because he was being fed as well as on grass. Being a first time owner I guess I've got it very wrong thinking the grass would be ok at this time of year, obviously not! Every day's a school day and I really appreciate all the hints and tips from here, thanks :)

JillA thanks for the tips on holding his toe, I will try that. He is also funny with the farrier, it takes a while for him to settle for his feet to be done and he usually has to have a haynet to keep him still. He has always been like this since I got him so he's maybe expecting fed when he gets his feet looked at? If he doesn't have the haynet when the farrier comes he rears but is getting slightly better with each visit.

Olliepoppy

Visit site
Practise ground control, if he is bolshy use a bridle, but make sure he will stand, back up and circle on request, as for pulling his feet away, don't get into a battle, if he pulls his foot away, pick it up again and hold for a few seconds then put it down, don't just let go, I ask for 'foot' and mine pick their feet up, just increase the time you hold the foot up for, be consistent and calm, it doesn't take long and praise when he does what you ask. With my 4yr old, I go from growling at him to whispering sweet nothings, but nothings rushed and I never shout in frustration.
Another thought, handle your horse expecting him to behave and most times he will, you are in charge not him, believe that

Sound avice flirtygerty thanks! I do lots of sweet nothings but don't think I do enough growling!!