Thoughts on intermittent lameness...

Batgirl

Visit site
I have had the vet out, here is the potted history:
13 yo 17'2 WbX Dressage and Hacking

4 weeks ago horse went suddenly lame in a lesson, near fore( about 4/10). No sign of injury, heat, swelling etc. Kept in overnight, sound in the morning.
Last week:
Thurs - came in 'iffy' according to a 2nd hand report from yard staff (I was not informed, Yard Owners not informed, I'm away on UK holiday)
Fri - came in lame, head girl was informed and at some point trotted him up decided he was sound and turned him out (I was not informed, yard owners not informed)
Saturday - I finally get a text saying 'your horse is lame, he was on Thurs/Fri did you know?' from weekend staff -No I flippin didn't! text back asking had the Yard Owners been informed (my best friends, very experienced, know my horse v well) - no they hadn't, had he been treated, checked over etc. I got a call at that point to tell me horse was being cold hosed while they mucked him out and he was about 3/10s lame in trot. I asked for him to be kept in and informed of how he was on Sunday.
Sunday - barely lame, no heat/swelling etc. Asked for him to be kept in
Monday - I am back from hol - fetlock slightly swollen, 4/10 lame in trot on a circle-2/10 on a straight line. Decided to call the Vet. Agrees with my lameness assessment, cannot find any injury, no reaction to hoof testers, flexions, barely any swelling by this point.

Vet says give him the benefit of the doubt - weeks box rest and bute if not better full lameness work up.

now 2 questions:
1) Would you be rather p*ssed off at the yard staff for not having told me until Saturday?
2) Any ideas on what it could be, I am a worst case scenario person!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
1) I think the original lesson lameness is more likely unrelated given how lame he was and then came ok.

2) He's probably yanked something in the field but seems to be improving (lameness and swelling wise) fairly quickly. I always think its a shame we can't do the elevation bit of RICE with horses, just for the amusement purposes.

3) yes I'd be peed but I suspect some owners wouldn't because they are happy to be more hands off and not worriers like some of us ;)

be positive

Visit site
My thoughts on question 1 are it sounds as if there is a communication issue within the yard, the staff should not be contacting you, unless in a real emergency if the YO is not there, they should take their concerns to the head girl who should in turn either contact you directly or speak to the YO who will make a decision whether you need to be disturbed while on holiday.
They may be your best friends but it sounds as if they are not very hands on and the staff are left to themselves possibly more than they should be so they just get on with what they feel is best, nothing wrong with that until something like this happens and the horse has been messed about for several days rather than kept in and a plan of action been made whatever that may have been the YO should have been in the loop and their decision kept to.

As for what it is it could be too many things to make much of a guess.

Theocat

Visit site
I'm not sure I'd be too pissed off- if they've been playing "is he/isn't he", I'm not sure I'd expect a message on holiday to say that they weren't sure if my horse was lame - I'd expect them to monitor. Once they decide on Saturday that he IS lame, It's easy with hindsight to know he was lame all along! I'd be more annoyed about how they phrased the text, to be honest, and that they messaged rather than phoning unless they couldn't get through.

Lameness isn't always easy, but it does sound as though they monitored and dealt with it when something became obvious. With a mild or intermittent lameness I'd expect observation for a few days in any case before I got the vet out.

I'd just make my wishes clear before you go away next time. Every owner wants something different (let me know straight away / I can't do anything from here so deal with it and tell me when I get back) and would approach it differently (if you aren't sure, keep him in / if you aren't sure, stick him out anyway).

skint1

Visit site
On point 2- my horse has experienced intermittent lameness since March, he recently tested positive for Cushings, which may or may not account for it. He also has coffin joint arthritis which flares up occasionally, if it continues you may need to get some diagnostics going on with your vet