Thoughts on Mercedes M Class for towing?

BuzzyBea

Visit site
I'm just about to sell my Range Rover and getting something newer.

Been looking at the M Class and it seems to do everything that I need - on paper.

Any comments on them here, good or bad?!

Wll be towing my cheval liberte XL Pulman and usually only a 16.1 horse but may, occassionally need to pull 2.

GinaGem

Visit site
I used mine to tow a few times (auto ML320) and it was fab, no probs pulling two with an ifor 505. Love the car but it's a bit pricey on fuel. Loads of space for tack and very comfortable.

BuzzyBea

Visit site
The 2.7l model - diesel, automatic.

Depending on how much I get for my car I will be getting anthing from a 2002-2005.

Sadly I am old enough to have the correct licence :(

BuzzyBea

Visit site
LOL!!! Would this be yours by any chance???

.......and yes like that one!!

What's it like for towing? Any issues? Average mpg?

BigRed

Visit site
I was going to buy one, because on paper it should be good. The one that I drove was absolutely gutless and could hardly pull itself along, let alone a trailer, we went for a Jeep Cherokke which had the same 2.7 merc engine in it, and the same tow capacity. It tows very well and is a very lively vehicle.

Maybe the one we tried was ill, but it was a 2004 and low mileage and very tidy.

BigRed

Visit site
I have a 2003 Grand Cherokee. It is a very lovely car to drive, super comfortable and refined with lots of goodies. I especially like two key fobs which allow the car to remember seat settings etc. Loads of power to tow with. Plenty of low down grunt. Cruises well on the motorway and you can kick down at any speed. If I am driving I get about 25mpg. If my husband is driving we get less. He is the kick down kid.

Bad things - not actually loads of rear leg room. I had 5 Isuzu Troopers before Julie Jeep and they had a LOT of room for passengers and LOADS of room in the back for feed etc. The Jeep is not as big as you think. It is more car size. You will miss that going from a Rangie.

You do get a lot fro your money when buying a Jeep though. You really do want the 2.7 Merc diesel engine.

Kallibear

Visit site
Had the one pictured, now got the next one up (320). Both Auto's.

Amazing cars to tow. I actual prefered the older one as had diff lock, true 4x4 and all the ansy fancy proper off-roader stuff. Newer one is more powerful and nippier and a smoother ride but not a good off road (but still pretty good).

For the newer one mpg with a fully laidened 511 (two big horses) is about 18mpg for town driving and up to 25-30 mpg for motorway driving depending on how fast your going. It's about 25-30mpg without a trailer as average (up to about 40mpg at the most efficient on motorways) but I usually drive slowly and carefully as standard.

It's far more like a car to drive than a big 4x4. Very smooth and holds the road amazingly. Fab in the snow.

ROG

Visit site
Had the one pictured, now got the next one up (320). Both Auto's.

Amazing cars to tow. I actual prefered the older one as had diff lock, true 4x4 and all the ansy fancy proper off-roader stuff. Newer one is more powerful and nippier and a smoother ride but not a good off road (but still pretty good).

For the newer one mpg with a fully laidened 511 (two big horses) is about 18mpg for town driving and up to 25-30 mpg for motorway driving depending on how fast your going. It's about 25-30mpg without a trailer as average (up to about 40mpg at the most efficient on motorways) but I usually drive slowly and carefully as standard.

It's far more like a car to drive than a big 4x4. Very smooth and holds the road amazingly. Fab in the snow.
I bet thats just the info what the OP wanted to know :)

BuzzyBea

Visit site
Thank you for all of the replies. Think the best bet must be to try both the 2.7 and the 3.2 Mercedes plus the Jeep.:)
[/CENTER]