Thoughts on PTS... Should I wait?

Janesomerset

Visit site
I was thinking similar to what Vectro wrote, i.e. would he be more uncomfortable in summer if the ground is rock hard? Hugs to you whatever you decide. xx

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
One or even 2 danilon a day will not harm his liver. I would put him on it and then see how he is. Yes, hocks can simetimes fuse (if the spavin is in the lower hock).

Achinghips

Visit site
Just re read your post - it really doesn't sound like spavin. Have you had xrays to confirm this diagnosis and has he been nerve blocked also? You say he twists his hip, have you had a chiropracter/vet look at his back/pelvis?

You say he looks a bit ribby but loves his grub - could be many reasons for this

hairycob

Visit site
Summer can be a difficult time for a horse with sore legs. We had hoped for one last summer last year for my son's old pony, Bobby. But by June it was clear that he was really uncomfortable on the hard despite upping his bute. This was a pony who normally ignored anyone not carrying food, but when the Vet came down the drive he trotted down to the gate whinnying. It was like he knew & was saying I'm ready to go now.

milesjess

Visit site
Yes he was xrayed and nerve blocked which confirmed spavin.

I'll start him on the danilon again and a talk with his vet.

Re his ribs he does eat plenty, is wormed and worm count came back fine but another forum user said her horse had similar.

His back/pelvis checked fine. It's more a twist from his hock. His farrier came out yesterday and checked his feet etc, he said in some cases horses do it to find a way to cope with the pain.

It's been a hard 9 months on us both, but I understand some people would have called it a day sooner. The leg dragging/twist hasn't long started hence why I'm now thinking to put him out his pain sooner and I wanted to give him a good chance.

Achinghips

Visit site
Do you have lateral extensions on or wedges? IME, for spavins laterals can cause such a twist, whereas wedges don't

milesjess

Visit site
Aching hips - no we just ended up taking his shoes off and going barefoot. It was discussed but we agreed with not having them on to see how he went without.

Achinghips

Visit site
Aching hips - no we just ended up taking his shoes off and going barefoot. It was discussed but we agreed with not having them on to see how he went without.

IME with spacvins and all the messing about I did with trying to find the best corrective farriery, thats prob the better option long term - but maybe not short term for comfort? - it's hard to know what to do for the best:(

milesjess

Visit site
I agree, I did quite a bit of research and it seemed a better option. The yard only has small amount of pavement and the rest is grass so he hasn't too been foot sore.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
Miles Jess I've just read your later post. It doesn't sound like spavin to me. Sounds very much like my mare who was also diagnosed with spavin and it was jumped on by the vets as being the cause of the lameness when it later emerged at the equine hospital that it wasn't.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Regarding the hock twisting thing, many horses do this and are perfectly sound. My gelding does have bone spavin but has been passed as 100% sound without bute, but he does twist his hocks. The right one, more than the left. Countless vets have seen it, and when I point it out to them they have been completely unconcerned. I am not trying to say this is not something that you should be concerned about in your horse, just that I have seen it in many other horses.

Last edited:

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
Miles Jess I've just read your later post. It doesn't sound like spavin to me. Sounds very much like my mare who was also diagnosed with spavin and it was jumped on by the vets as being the cause of the lameness when it later emerged at the equine hospital that it wasn't.

I agree with this. Your horse obviously has some other issues. Is it at all possible for him to have a bone scan? Would your insurance pay for this? Alternatively, you could have some thermal imaging done as this is far cheaper. Has he been scoped for ulcers?

Persephone

Visit site
I have had a think about it, and if I was unsure of the diagnosis I would have a second opinion, from a different practice.

Regarding the summer, I found with my little mare that her arthritis was worse in the summer than the winter. The hot weather doesn't help along with the hard ground etc.

If you are having trouble reconciling your decision, then two vets opinions should make your mind up.

Personally I don't see the point in keeping a horse going for a few months, I prefer to get it over with.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Sorry for the delay in replying -

He constantly shifts his weight, stands with his legs under him, can't hold his feet up for long, trips up... Eventually I stopped riding as he felt too lame again and unfair on him, which the vet agreed with. He has gone ribby and gloomy, started dragging his back leg and it sort of twists when he walks. I think in a way to cope with the pain

x

All signs of severe chronic pain, I'm afraid. IMO your vet is recommending the correct course of action.

milesjess

Visit site
:( ... I think I knew the decision I had to make before posting.

He's my first horse and it's not a nice situation to be in but the answer is obvious to everyone including me.

Hard as it is, I'll always do right by him. I'll speak to his vet.

Thanks guys x

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
:( ... I think I knew the decision I had to make before posting.

He's my first horse and it's not a nice situation to be in but the answer is obvious to everyone including me.

Hard as it is, I'll always do right by him. I'll speak to his vet.

Thanks guys x

I think when you are dealing with your first (and only) horse, it very hard to come to terms with the decision that has to be made.

In some ways, sis and I were fortunate when our first horse was pts after a field accident. It was a horrible experience and vet gave him about 6 hrs to see if the severe injury was just bruising, so while the waiting was also dreadful, there was no actual decision to be made. Horse was unable to stand. At that stage of our lives we would have kept him, if he would have been 'field sound' with treatment.

Since then, and many horses later, we take a more practical, pragmatic view.
We do keep our elderly horses into retirement if possible but always consider quality of life to be paramount.

We have certainly given the elderly 'one last summer' and would do so again, if it was possible to keep them comfortable. We were very glad that we had done so, a couple of years ago, when it transpired that the young vet who told us that our then 28 yr old cob had a bad heart, was wrong. The senior partner came out to do vaccs and check her thoroughly in August. He could find nothing wrong with her and she is still living the life of Riley, keeping the herd in order.

All the best, OP.

rockysmum

Visit site
So sorry to hear about your boy, I appreciate it must be very hard.

My opinion, for what its worth, is that I cant see why the vet has advised no Danilon. Worst case scenario is it does some damage and you have to PTS, you are considering that anyway. No reason why he shouldn't be comfortable in his last days.

I find vets views on this sort of thing to lack logic. My friend has a mare with a chest infection so bad that the vet was going to PTS. He said he would have given steriods but it could cause laminitus (mare had a history of it) What was there to loose, if it did then PTS anyway, if not the mare recovers. Owner agreed and mare actually recovered.

Put him on a couple a day, if he recovers his interest in life, spend the summer saying goodbye. But I agree with making the decision a day too early, not too late.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Marchtime

Visit site
Sometimes they make the decision for you. Two years ago I decided to give my boy the summer and had agreed with the vets he'd be pts in September. He was comfortable and happy on low level danilon but we knew he wouldn't cope with the winter and wanted to let him go whilst he was happy.
I left him as usual one evening in July with my other two happily munching away. The next morning when we arrived he was barely weight bearing on his "good" front leg. The spark had gone from his eyes. He had made the decision for us and we said goodbye the next day.
It was heartbreaking at the time because whilst I knew it was in the not too distant future I thought we had longer, but looking back it saved us from what would have been the very hard decision of having him pts when he looked well and happy.
If your horse is telling you it is time, then listen. You know him well and you'll know when he's had enough. *Hugs*