Thoughts on single trailers?

I See Clover

Visit site
I'm looking to buy a trailer soon and wanted your opinions on the ifor williams single (think it's the 403). I've only the one horse and she fairly small (around 14.1/14.2hh), so thought it would be more economic.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Love mine its great, its an old model 401 I think?

Travel my ponies in it fine, lots of room wither side for tacking, brushing getting past etc and super easy to tow as is not as wide as a double. :D

magichorse

Visit site
I have an Ifor 403 and love it. Its much easier to tow than a double as it is not wider than the car. Also had more options when choosing a towing vehicle as max laden weight is obv less than a double. Also like the extra space it allows around the horse.

Would highly recommend. The only problem I had was I had to buy new as second hand in my area were like hen's teeth! The only 2nd hand I saw was only a few hundred less than a new one, so they must hold their value!

hudsonw

Visit site
I had one and loved it...it's easy to tow as you can see down the sides. You can tow with a smaller 4x4 or large family car, it's easy to move on the ground, even with one person, my horse had more room but still supported and I sold it on Ebay for only a couple of hundred less than I paid for it... Downsides are obviously you can only take one horse (if you have 2 or mates to go out on a hack with) max height of a horse would be 16.2hh so no good if you have a big beast!
If you can afford, go for a new one (I had the limited edition black and silver one) as the dealer might do you a deal...mine chucked in a wheel lock/clamp thing and a few other bits :)

Oberon

Visit site
I have a 401 (with no front ramp) as my towing vehicle is an X-trail.

It's my first trailer (had a lorry before) and I am so impressed by it!

It's only as wide as my X-trail, so very easy to manouvre. Very easy to tow and you don't get the dreaded sideways drag on the M6 when lorries pass you:)

My horse is 16.1, draft and he fits in fine. I prefer for him to be nice and central rather than on one side of a double trailer.

As I am not very good at reversing yet - I can manually move it when I need to:)

And I am not tempted to offer anyone a lift due to it being single;)

I'd love to upgrade to a 403 when funds allow.

Pat10

Visit site
I have the Ifor single F/R ramps etc. (the one before this current version). It's lovely to tow, even with just a 'family car'. My only gripe is that you have to transport everything but the horse in the boot of your car, and there's nowhere to put a poo-ey skip.

...and no - I don't find it too light with a horse in it. Hate towing empty, though.

I See Clover

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies everyone. Didn't expect them to be so positive! Probably won't be buying transport for a few months yet, but the single trailer is at the top of my list. Thanks again.

posie_honey

Visit site
i cant get my head round them - they look too top heavy lol!
i use a 505 with no partitions - in terms of weight its about 1600kgs in total with horse - you can de-rate to that level if you want so its legal to tow with a truck that only tows 2tonnes etc (its uaully plated at 2.2 tonnes)