Thoughts on this horse please?

fruity

Visit site
Every horse i see advertised that i ring up about has sold literally as it's gone online! Anyway have left a msg on their phone for a viewing for this chap and can't get hold of my instructor at the mo for an opinion,what do you think to him? Do you think he's doing the right amount of work for his age? I really like the look of him and he is fitting the bill of what i'm after. Any thoughts would be appreciated,he would be used for all RC everything and low level eventing. Thanks

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/classifieds/Horses and ponies.xhtml

he's the coloured in the top middle row

fruity

Visit site
See i thought that too,i have a 3 yr old dartmoor (not the same i know!) and i am long reining him at the mo and will back him in april/may (he's 4 in july) and then turn him out until he is 4 and then crack on. I've already bought a horse before that had done too much too soon and she broke at just turned 5 so am now very wary of young horses being worked too early. It's the only thing i'm unsure of with this chap.

HazyXmas

Visit site
I thought that he looks very sweet but then i'm quite keen on coloureds :)

Thought that it is VERY odd that they say he is jumping 1.20 & 1.30 classes, which IMO is too much for a horse that isn't yet 4!!!!! But they have a video of him popping over a course of not much more than a foot, anyone else think that this is strange?

HazyXmas

Visit site
That make more sense, sorry, should have read advert properly :)

Let us know how you get on if you go & see him.

Where abouts are you? Think you must be near to me....... might see you out and about, we've just bought a young coloured mare :)

fruity

Visit site
Ah she sounds lovely :) I'm near j 4/5 M40 High Wycombe direction. I'm looking for a pref gelding, l/w ish, pref coloured, 15-16hh, up to 9 yrs old. Seen some lovely ones but my they go quick! Had 5 horses at one point horses but am now going to be down to my little dartmoor (hoping to back and show him) and one horse. A lot more managable!

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
I think he's nice, but the video doesn't really tell you much. He looks green, but of course, he IS young. I suspect he's not jumping 1m with any regularity, or they'd have a video of it. In fact, why don't they have a video showing his form over 1m? I'd try and get one if poss. And some confo shots. Photos are rubbish.

Sparkles

Visit site
We have a 15,2/3hh dun connemara x mare for sale. Complete sweety, school mistress type, happy to pop up to 1m10 with novice, etc. :) She's 10 years old though.

Visit site
Would need a lot of reschooling and looks a difficult ride as it throws it's head around and has it's head up in the air but nothing that a de gogue training aid couldnt sort! :) You can't tell what he's like until you try him though but I would say he is a tad over priced.

ecrozier

Visit site
If the guy riding it is a pro em I'd say it might be a bit too green for you to enjoy easily? Agree with both posters above - it is chucking its head around, fairly standard behaviour for one so young and green, but could make life tricky for you? wouldn't jump in a de gogue, surely?!

QueenOfCadence

Visit site
Crap...Hes 4. I want a 4 year old to lift its head. it shows hes keen to get over the jump!

^^I don't agree with this -whistles-... A horse should be trained right FROM THE START. You can't expect him to suddenly drop his head as an older horse if he was allowed to do it as a four year old just because "he was keen to get over the jump". I know many SJs that have a horrible habit of running around a jumping course with their heads in the air - their owners spend lots of time and money trying to rectify the problem yet we should let the four year olds learn that it's okay because it's cute that they're so "keen"?

I'm sorry but at 4 I don't think jumping should be this horse's priority - his owners should be focusing on basic flat work (considering that he can't work through his back or keep his head down), not galloping him around a course of jumps with his head in the air:mad:

:grumbles:

Hate seeing horses not trained right from the start!

The last four year old I helped to back was taught from the beginning to be submissive to the pressure, which means putting his head down (you don't expect a 4 year old to work like Gribaldi but they have to work in a way that their mane isn't tickling your nose!)

This was the last four year old I helped to back
33407_133425720021989_100000636849230_223845_2370635_n.jpg

Note his head not brushing against the clouds :L

Sorry for the rant but this is about the hundredth thread (not necessarily on here) that I've seen where people excuse young horses from proper training because they're young:mad:

Okay, rant over:D

ecrozier

Visit site
Lol agree diesel dog - suggests to me they think would be best with someone who bounces easily?!
To add to prev post em, wasn't querying your capability but wondered if already that 'keen' to get over a fence, it might end up being quite forward and strong and not easy with you dodgy wrist?

ecrozier

Visit site
Wish I could edit on iPhone *rollseyes*
Wanted to agree with queen of cadence re at that age basic flatwork would def be more of a priority, I didn't jump my youngster til after his 4th birthday and he is a July foal. Having said that we don't know how much jumping its done - this may just have been done for the advert?

AdorableAlice

Visit site
He looks as genuine as the day is long.

Take the martingale off, get a good dentist to have a look at his mouth and then start a few million transitions on the flat. In six months time he will go round that course in balance, not disunited and with a nice round shape. By this time next year you will be proud of him and the owner of a few rosettes hopefully.

Over priced in the present market.

fruity

Visit site
Hi thanks everyone for your thoughts (have had instructor look and she also agreed he is doing too much and she would of liked him to be working on the flat at his age rather than a round of sj,she was concerned re his head,i have weak wrists (esp right) and i do think the head throwing/jigging could cause a prob) have been pm'd some nice horses and am going to have a look at a few hopefully,will let you know when i buy one and will post a picture. Thanks very much

only_me

Visit site
I wouldn't be put off by the fact that he hasn't done a lot of flatwork and mostly jumped - you find that a lot here. Don't forget that a lot of 3 year olds are taken hunting once or twice, so tbh I don't think this boy has done a huge pile.The place he is at would run a lot of little shows and I suspect that that is where he has jumped.

I think he is nice enough but atm looks kind of like an overgrown pony and will mature into himself a bit more. He looks honest and genuine enough and if you want me to have a look I could try as the place he is at is 20-25 mins from me :)
The nice bit is that if he has done a lot then he is ready to take a step back and work at your pace :)