Thoughts on where to go with transport?

SOS

Visit site
I bought a horse last autumn which had only travelled in 7.5 and 3.5 ton lorries. She originally loaded fine on a IFor 510 trailer/all transport but this along with her unridden behaviour deteriorated quickly (within a fortnight). It transpired she had many ground issues and didn’t understand how to respond to pressure. This with good trainers has now resolved and she has no issues in general day to day handling and is a much happier, calmer horse.

However the loading can still be iffy with the trailer. She will load but it takes time and can revert back to her previous behaviour. I also often need other people there to help put up the ramp/unload her. I’m not sure if there is a negative association with the trailer or still misunderstanding the question I am asking.

Now here’s the debate... I recently tried her in different transport and she practically self loads onto a 3.5 ton lorry. Much more relaxed in general and I could load/handle her alone which is essential going forward as I don’t always have people on hand to help.

So go and buy a 3.5 ton you say? Well to fund one I would have to sell my trailer and towing vehicle (also my everyday, vehicle of a lifetime, dream car) and buy the lorry and run a very cheap car everyday, as well as using some savings. This is a big commitment as if I was to sell the towing vehicle I wouldn’t be able to afford another (it’s a Defender basically).

Now I’m thinking do I try a side loading/backwards travelling trailer - Equi trek or similar? Or carry on with the iFor and admit for the foreseeable future it’s going to be a work-in-progress?

Thoughts?? I hate to feel I’m ignoring the mare when she obviously loads a lot better in the lorry but I would also have to give up a lot financially to change all the vehicles.

Lexi_

Visit site
How often do you travel? Box hire might work out cheaper if you’re not on the go that much.

SOS

Visit site
How often do you travel? Box hire might work out cheaper if you’re not on the go that much.

Very regularly once I get going - once or twice a week. It has been much less recently due to personal/work/every other commitment!

I considered hiring a 3.5 ton for a few weeks to see if it definitely is for us but the cost is astronomical.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'd try and borrow side loading trailer, I know they're not for everyone but if you find she accepted that, it would seem to tick your boxes if you can get a good one.

On the Hoof

Visit site
I have a 3.5 ton and a cheap car, but I didn't have a nice towing car to start with, if I was in your position I would change trailer to Equi trec or similar, but would borrow or hire one first to see how she is with it.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I too have a 3.5 and a very (very!) small runaround car.
The only time I'm stuck, is for space if DH and I go away for a few days taking dog, as the car is crammed, DH also has a tiny car for his 55 mile round trip daily commute.

I'd try and hire a side loading trailer for a week or so, to use daily before committing.

Lexi_

Visit site
Very regularly once I get going - once or twice a week. It has been much less recently due to personal/work/every other commitment!

I considered hiring a 3.5 ton for a few weeks to see if it definitely is for us but the cost is astronomical.

Ah fair enough!

HeyMich

Visit site
I have a side loading Equitrek Space Treka and I absolutely love it!! Would highly recommend. The horses load and travel well, it's light and easy to tow. The tack room bit at the front is fab too. I'm probably going to jinx things by saying this, but at the moment, I really can't fault it.

Please PM me if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them for you if I can.

SOS

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. I think I am going to go ahead and hire a side loading trailer for a few weeks - obviously Equitrek is the most well known make however is there any others people recommend? Also is there any models to avoid/with known build problems as that also springs to mind when I think of Equi!

Nudibranch

Visit site
Could it be as simple as trying a different trailer full stop? E.g. Bateson, Bockmann, etc? I bought a lovely continental trailer and it is silent to tow, no rattles like an Ifor and you barely know it's there. My Dales was a terrible traveller and would be literally dripping head to toe whether in a trailer or box. She now travels like a dream, not a damp patch in sight and loads/unloads no problem even though it's rear unload only.

Hack4fun

Visit site
A 7.5te lorry is cheap enough to buy and not too expensive to run, always assuming you have the right license and somewhere to keep it. I would be tempted to go down the 3.5te lorry route, but take your time finding the right one. Keep the defender if you can but sell the trailer.