Thoughts South Herefordshire hunt.

DD

Visit site
When I was growing up all the magazines I read and most books I learned from upheld hunting as the pinale of horsemanship . Going hunting was something to strive for to have "made it" once you became a hunt member. It held up good manners, tradition ambition. So what has gone wrong? those photos from the South Herefordshire hunt are sickening. And I'm hearing more and more of hunts flouting the law and going onto land from which they are banned. I am not going to join our local hunt this year, I have become very disheartened at the goings on.

Ridererror

Visit site
I have seen this on social media. Sickening. I wanted to try a bit autumn hunting for the first time this year but do not want to be associated with this. I hope (believe) that this reflects the minority

Reactions: DD

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I wondered if there would be a thread on the Hunting board about this, but it seems not. Thanks for starting one in here. Live captive fox cubs were thrown to hounds. It was filmed by covert cctv.

Fox cruelty: South Herefordshire Hunt pair found guilty https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-48584227

The hunt has been disbanded. I wonder what the hunting fraternity really make of this.

Appalling practice, the idiots deserved a custodial sentence, this has no place in hunting.

Or:-

Stupid idiots for getting caught.

A14CC3A1-AB8B-4A5B-8FA1-852BA5472758.jpeg

E0203741-2C80-4925-8292-837C37B2BC43.jpeg

Last edited:

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
I'm not sure I understand the difference between this and actually hunting foxes and having them ripped apart by dogs. I think both are vile, but I'm baffled as to how people who actually participate in fox hunting (because let's face it, it still goes on in some hunts) think this is so much worse than hunting and cubbing.

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
Really? You can’t see the difference, Becky?
No, like I said I think they're both reprehensible acts. I am just struggling to see how people who participate in (actual) fox hunting think this is so much worse than what goes on out hunting. Live fox cubs get ripped apart by dogs in both circumstances.

Sandstone1

Visit site
No, like I said I think they're both reprehensible acts. I am just struggling to see how people who participate in (actual) fox hunting think this is so much worse than what goes on out hunting. Live fox cubs get ripped apart by dogs in both circumstances.
i can see your point.

Clodagh

Visit site

I can see your point. I think that in hunting the fox does get a chance to get away, it involves a level of skill. There is no skill in that video.

Tagoat

Visit site
I would be interested to know upon who's land these cubs were captured, how they were caught & who gave permission for that act to take place on that land. To my mind they are just as culpable. Grrrrrrrrr!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I think, unfortunately, that whilst this is completely appalling, it’s probably not a lone incident. There was a story last year of a huntsman keeping cubs/young foxes and releasing them as bait. Sadly, I think some people involved with the hunt are not as morally upright as we’d like. Terriermen digging out dens is something mentioned a lot, too. No skill there!

The sentence is derisory. He should have been absolutely crucified by the court as a terrifying example to others. Sick individual.

Archangel

Visit site
I would be interested to know upon who's land these cubs were captured, how they were caught & who gave permission for that act to take place on that land. To my mind they are just as culpable. Grrrrrrrrr!

The report says that someone else on the estate 'found' the cubs and gave them to the hunt. He thought they would be released back into the wild so the charges against him were dropped.

You can't imagine anyone believing that story can you.

It also says
"Oliver was not banned from keeping animals because he would lose his job at a stud yard"

Oliver should be banned from keeping animals for the rest of his life.

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I also doubt this was an isolated incident, whatever the MFHA says.

It’s quite possible that members of the field, of whom I formerly was one, have no idea of the skulduggery that goes on to provide ‘sport’ post ban.

Another covertly filmed video, this time of the Kimblewick hunt.

https://www.huntsabs.org.uk/index.p...ewick-hunt-caught-on-film-hunting-captive-fox

In these parts, the antis are always going on about bagged foxes being released to provide sport. The hunts always deny it. I would like to believe the hunt, but I don’t trust anything that they spout anymore. I know that they were merrily chasing real foxes round here a couple of years ago before the antis got onto them - I was told this first hand by a long term hunt follower.

HashRouge

Visit site
The report says that someone else on the estate 'found' the cubs and gave them to the hunt. He thought they would be released back into the wild so the charges against him were dropped.

You can't imagine anyone believing that story can you.

It also says
"Oliver was not banned from keeping animals because he would lose his job at a stud yard"

Oliver should be banned from keeping animals for the rest of his life.
Yes, I think Oliver has shown himself to be someone who has cannot be trusted around any animal.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
. I wonder what the hunting fraternity really make of this.

Appalling practice, the idiots deserved a custodial sentence, this has no place in hunting.

Or:-

Stupid idiots for getting caught.

The latter. You and I are roughly in the same area and we're clearly both well aware that fox hunting continues unchecked by several hunts whenever the monitors and/sabs aren't out.

ycbm

Visit site
Really? You can’t see the difference, Becky?

I'm struggling Amymay. Can you explain what the difference is between this and cub hunting? Where a covert is ringed with followers all told to make a lot of noise to drive the cubs back into the wood, then the hounds are put in to slaughter them?

ycbm

Visit site
God that is just barbaric :(

The first time I ever wrote about it on this forum Alec Swan, who had worked as a gamekeeper, actually thought I was lying!

I went once and left early. I had no idea they did things like that until I experienced it first hand. Not any old hunt, either, The Berkeley.