three stage vetting?

KatB

Visit site
Ive alays thought can only do 2 or 5?! The 3 and 4 are no use on their own, but compulsory for full 5?!!
confused.gif

parsley

Visit site
Thanks for the link! I see it suggests obtaining insurance before having a vetting - does this avoid having exclusions placed because of the vetting?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
I think the bit about obtaining insurance before a vetting is if you have already purchased the horse before any vetting? But if that is the case why bother with a vetting as you have already taken the plunge. The vetting is normally done before any money changes hands. As it says if you want to insure your horse for £5000 + then a 5 stage vetig certificate is necessary before you can obtain that degree of insurance cover.
confused.gif

Unless anyone knows different?
smile.gif

MiffyH

Visit site
The type of vetting carried out may also affect the amount of money that a horse can be insured for and in many cases if the horse is to be insured for over £5,000 then a 5 stage vetting is required. The other advantage of having a 5 star vetting carried out is that some insurance companies may not be willing to insure for loss of use without a 5 stage veterinary certificate. In addition should the horse develop a condition resulting in loss of use shortly after purchase the 5 stage veterinary certificate can provide evidence that the horse did not already suffer from the condition when insured.

The 5 stage vetting examination consists of 5 stages detailed below set by the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons and the British Veterinary Association where the horse is examined both at rest and at work and the examination usually lasts for between 2 and 3 hours. A basic or insurance vetting varies but generally consists of examination along the lines of stages 1 and 2 only.

Stage 1 - Preliminary Stable Examination
The first stage of the vetting is a preliminary examination with the horse stabled and any abnormal behaviour, signs of unsuitable temperament, etc will be noted. The vet will also note the general condition of the horse and then move onto examining the horse examining the heart, lungs and eyes.

The vet will then examine the horse outside whilst stood on a level surface to allowing to ensure that the horse's weight is distributed evenly and that it stands straight. The vet will examine the horse all over to check the eyes, nostrils, lymph glands, muscular development, spine and limbs and also to check for wounds, swellings, growths, scars, heat, etc.

Once the vet has checked the horse over thoroughly the vet will view the horse at walk on a firm, flat surface to check that the horse shows regularity, suppleness and shows no sign of pain when moving.

Stage 2 - In Hand Examination
During Stage 2 the vet will require that the horse is trotted up on a flat, hard surface viewing the horse from behind, in front and from the side. The vet will look for regular, straight movement without restriction and any indication of lameness or pain.

The vet will also view the horse being turned and moved backwards to further assess the movement of the limbs. The vet may also carry out a flexion test - where each limb is lifted and held for a period and the vet views whether there is any abnormality in movement resulting from this. The flexion test can be useful in assessing seriousness of problems already identified and can expose lameness problems not otherwise found. However, flexion tests can cause lameness if applied too vigorously and so any doubt over the results of this part of the test should be discussed fully with the vet once vetting is completed.

Stage 3 - Strenuous Exercise
The vet will then watch the horse carrying out strenuous exercise in order to note the horse's respiration and heart rate. If the horse is unbroken then exercise will be carried out on the lunge, otherwise the horse will normally be ridden. The horse will be required to walk, trot and canter with the vet listening for abnormal sounds and at the end of the exercise the vet will examine the heart and lungs.

Stage 4 - Rest Period
After completing Stage 3 the horse will be rested for up to 30 minutes when the heart and lungs will be examined again and blood tests taken.

Stage 5 - Trotting Up and Foot Examination
The horse will be trotted up again in order to note that it continues to move soundly after completing stage 3.

Parkranger

Visit site
From experience, I don't think I'd ever have anything other than a 2 stage now - just want to know that heart and lungs are ok and that they can see (cough cough).......

sorona

Visit site
I could only insure my horse through petplan for £2,500 when i bought him 3 years ago although we paid far more than that for him as we did not get him vetted! I would always normally get a horse fully vetted but after having a vetting done on a potential purchase and a particular bet not liking the mare she said she would exclude all her legs off the insurance as she had splits and was close behind. She was a little close behind but had absolutely no splits at all and was only a 4 year old that had done nothing yet and had it checked out by someone else who said she was good. Didnt end up buying her as didnt want a horse with uninsured limbs so didnt want to risk the same thing happening again.
My vet dont do a 2 stage vetting, they only do a 5 as they say there is no point to the 2 stage. i dont happen to agree in all cases but it is their policy!