Three's a crowd!

Mahoganybay

Visit site
It's nearly that time of the year where turnout is imminent, wormers ordered, fields decided.

I unfortunately have my horse on a Livery Yard where there is no winter turnout. It is the area I live in and something I am not pleased about, but my boy is ok.

So, my big lad is going in a hill field of approx 5 acres with two other geldings, neither of which he has been turned out with before. Both other geldings are new to the yard of which my lad has been there for 4 years.

My boy is 16.2, built like a tank and likes to be in charge.

How would you organise turnout, I am thinking let the two new geldings go out and have their run around (exploring the field)! And then once settled let my boy out. I do have electric fencing, but my lad will just go straight through it once he gets excited about being out, and the lay out of the field means we can't separate it.

I will of course, boot my lad up, just wanted people's opinions on whether they would do the same as I am thinking as I don't want any horse to get hurt.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I would be inclined to work them all into the ground before hand and turn them out together when they are totally knackered...... and a bit hungry so they go straight to grass? I hate introductions, it makes me so blooming nervous!

catkin

Visit site
I would be inclined to work them all into the ground before hand and turn them out together when they are totally knackered...... and a bit hungry so they go straight to grass? I hate introductions, it makes me so blooming nervous!

this - and get all back shoes off too if you can, at least until they've settled down and know one another. Are they stabled next to each other and do they work together - if not, then it might be worth doing so to gauge their reactions to one another though it could be different in turn-out situation

Bionic Boy

Visit site
Agree with both of the above, work all of the energy out of them and have them hungry enough they are only interested in the green stuff.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I despair sometimes at YOs that expect non acquainted horses to suddenly just go out together, or who have two herds; mares and geldings and just turn out new horses into them. Makes me shudder. If separate paddocks cannot be arranged to slowly introduce them, then at the very least they should be stabled next to one
another, ideally with talk bars. I have two mares here that I would really like to turn out together but even though they are stabled next to each other and in adjacent paddocks for over two years, and even occasionally groom over the fence, I can just sense/know that they would try to kill each other if put together. I have just turned one of them (my mare) out with a new gelding today, but they have been stabled next to each other and in adjacent paddocks for a month, and I could tell they would get on. They are totally harmonious. Also I have hind shoes removed before any new pairings/threesomes. Call me over cautious, but I have seen far too many injuries to horses by other horses in my time.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
i agree with Wagtail. I have 2 mares who just can't be turned out together, they fight, although both are fine with the other mares. I would want all 3 geldings to get to know each other in safety before being turned out together. But then I wouldn't keep a horse where it can't have any turnout in winter.

Last edited: