Thrilled to bits with C's new mare...

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Have posted some of today's pics on my blog as fed up with waiting for C to add them to here! The mare had been hacked five times in Ireland according to her breeder, ridden at the sale then ridden two or three times by the seller, then we bought her. C rode her in their school four days then today was the first day of "proper" schooling to see how she would cope. She is very unfit obviously so we only did 20 mins, but what a super horse. After Monty it's a shock to find one that co-operates instantly without a thirty minute settling down time...
I reckon she should make a cracking event horse.
www.henryhorn.blogspot.com
(oh and you can see what ringworm looks like now, vet has emailed me and we collect the wash stuff tomorrow, he doesn't rate anything in the feed)

CastleMouse

Visit site
Off to have a look now... she sounds amazing!
laugh.gif

S_N

Visit site
OOooo Sue she's divine!!! She just looks so relaxed and chilled out. I have to say I cannot believe the change (for the better) in C's riding in the last year.........

May I ask, did you ever have a PM done on the little filly?

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
She is stunning! Going to make a great eventer as you said.
Do you mind if I ask a question? She seems to already be working in an outline, is that natural or is C working for it? It's just that it's taken me ages to get Otto to work in a consistent outline and I wondered if with a horse like her it just more natural? Does that make sense?

henryhorn

She is so good I keep thinking we will discover something dreadfully wrong with her.. I watched her clip her on the yard with all the things like cars driving on etc and she never turned a hair, shook her head a little when it came to near her ears but that was all!
After all the Monty traumas it's lovely to see C come back into the house with a huge grin on her face..
wink.gif

henryhorn

She learned to go in an outline in about half an hour! We actually work them from day one as they then build up the correct muscles, but this mare tends to overbend so C spent quite a while encouraging her to take the bit and go forwards. When we bought her she had absolutely no steering or brakes (honest I can show video of it!) but they learn a lot hacking out, and it's far easier to teach them then than in a school.
I think yes, some horses are more natural in the way they go and luckily she seems so incredibly willing to try and please. We have only ever had one other horse like her in thirty years that every day you got off feeling a little bit more had been achieved, I think it's down to temperament more than conformation to some extent.
This time on Wednesday she walked along with her head like a giraffe, but once she understood what C was asking that disappeared. I would also say a year of struggling on Monty has made C a far better rider and the four months working at the dressage yard taught her lots..

JoBo

s11.photobucket.com
Thanks for that, I was just wondering, having never had real quality horses e.g breeding wise. She certainly sounds like she is going to be fantastic, she is obviously very intelligent.

I_A_P

Visit site
thats interesting! she looks a lovely mare and i wish you the best of luck, in fact my dressage trainer sai to me if i learn to ride millie effectively i wont find anythin much trickier! so hopefully the hard work will evenually pay off!