Thrush ffs! Keeps coming back...

indie1282

Visit site
As above! We have a horse on our yard who keeps getting Thrush. It cleared up last year with Milton and some Kevin Bacon hoof stuff for thrush and this summer has been fine as weather so dry. Now it seems to be back even worse! Still dry ground and the horses is out 24/7 on decent dry ground. Only has hay and grass nothing else.

The sulci is quite deep either side of the frog and black, the central sulci is a bit squishy but surprisingly doesn't smell too bad.

Can anyone help?? Pics attached ( if they work )

indie1282

Visit site
20181021_172519-800x715.jpg

20181021_161130-800x600.jpg

Attachments

• 20181021_172519-800x715.jpg
    20181021_172519-800x715.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20181021_161130-800x600.jpg
    20181021_161130-800x600.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20181021_161127-800x600.jpg
    20181021_161127-800x600.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 4

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
It's hard to tell from those pics but the length of the bars makes me wonder how much ground contact the frog is getting.

I would absolutely be packing the first central sulcus with hoof stuff.
I did use milton originally but have found the red horse products (mostly sole cleanse and hoof stuff) to be vastly superior.

What is the rest of the hoof condition like? I would wonder if some mineral supplementation would help.

Leo Walker

Visit site
I'd cleantrax it and then look at diet. A low sugar/starch diet with salt and a mineral balancer is what finally sorted the tricky one I had who wound up in vet hospital with it!

indie1282

Visit site
Thanks guys. Horse has flat feet, but the rest of the foot is in good condition. Needs regular trimming to keep the toe short. I think the owner is surprised at how quick it's gone bad as we are still dry and hygiene is very important.

I think packing it would help, what would you recommend?

ester

Visit site
Thanks guys. Horse has flat feet, but the rest of the foot is in good condition. Needs regular trimming to keep the toe short. I think the owner is surprised at how quick it's gone bad as we are still dry and hygiene is very important.

I think packing it would help, what would you recommend?

hoof stuff, as suggested.

I wouldn't be against a cleantrax soak either just aware it isn't always the easiest thing to manage.

indie1282

Visit site
hoof stuff, as suggested.

I wouldn't be against a cleantrax soak either just aware it isn't always the easiest thing to manage.

Just looked up the Cleantrax... I dont think it would work for this horse. I have always used a bit of Anti Bac in the past on anything a bit smelly but will have a look at the field paste. Thank you.

indie1282

Visit site
I'd cleantrax it and then look at diet. A low sugar/starch diet with salt and a mineral balancer is what finally sorted the tricky one I had who wound up in vet hospital with it!

Thanks. Horse is on average grass and hay only. No hard feed. I did think about feeding something but I am very aware that most hoof supplements are full of fillers! Any recommendations?

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Forage Plus supplements (no fillers) have improved my Connies feet no end. They were so bad when I got him the farrier thought he would never keep shoes on. 18 months later and they are in great condition and have actually started to grow between shoeings. He gets no hard feed either other than soaked haycobs or grass nuts to carry the balancer and salt.

ester

Visit site
Just looked up the Cleantrax... I dont think it would work for this horse. I have always used a bit of Anti Bac in the past on anything a bit smelly but will have a look at the field paste. Thank you.

I'm confused, I haven't mentioned field paste?

I do also use that too but it wouldn't be my choice for this horse right now.

ester

Visit site
If you want a decent supplement in a pellet form so you don't have to give a hard feed equimins adv. complete is pretty good, albeit a bit low on magnesium.
If you are happy to feed a carrier too they do a powder/pro hoof/forageplus/equivita are all good no iron supplements.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I definatly be trying the forage plus winter performance balancer it really has helped my horses in the past .
I would try using isoform and ecalyptus oil followed by sudocrem .
I would pick out the feet brush them off with a little wire brush before applying .

Follysmum

Visit site
My big shire had horrendous thrush last year and the only stuff I found to clear was Kevin bacon for 2 weeks then red horse sole weekly

Reactions: DD

indie1282

Visit site
I'm confused, I haven't mentioned field paste?

I do also use that too but it wouldn't be my choice for this horse right now.

Apologies - I was looking at the different products on their website and wrote the wrong one down! The Hoof Stuff does look good. Once you have put it on how long do you wait before turning out? And how many times a week do you use it?

ester

Visit site
hoof stuff I put straight out.
It is very sticky and gooey and a bit of a pain to get out the pot- you need a hoofpick. It is really zinc oxide+ honey+ cotton fibres but very well mixed, to the point that I don't fancy trying to make it myself! It would then usually stay in for 2/3 days if you want it too.

The field paste is a more recent acquisition that I sent home to where my pony is so haven't actually used it myself yet. That/artimud are better if you have less tight gaps.

I hope it improves :)

Surbie

Visit site
I found hoof stuff sticks in so much better than field paste. My lad has fairly warm feet and is generally a fairly warm beastie. Field paste goes much more runny when it gets warm so seems to just ooze out of his feet after a bit, when I'd rather it stayed put...

Bartleby.

Visit site
For acute thrush my farrier recommended Leovet FrogMedic, it's a spray with a tube that can really get into the nooks and crannies. I used it every day for a couple of weeks, then every few days after that and it worked a treat on some nasty really deep sulcuses. Following up with FrogAde with the scrubbing brush that comes with it keeps the thrush at bay.

Scarlett

Visit site
Red Horse Products all the way.

I keep Field Paste, Sole Paint, Hoof Stuff and Sole Cleanse on hand at all times.

We pack any holes with Hoof Stuff and would recommend it for central sulcus.

I use Field Paste twice a week through winter. We pick out, brush off all mud, apply down the side of the frog, leave to stand for 10 min and then turn out. It's usually still residue a couple of days later. If they are coming in overnight then I will Sole Cleanse, leave to dry and then apply Sole Paint. Great stuff and has always helped when used.

Tarragon

Visit site
I am also a fan of Red Horse products and have been a regular user for possibly 5 years now. I have field kept ponies and use the Field Paste to keep on top of thrush. It does seem to be effective.

indie1282

Visit site
Update. A week later and I have been treating with Hoof Stuff and Leovet Frog Cleanse. There does look to be an improvement and the horse is not as sensitive when picking the feet out. The split in the central sulci has started to close up and there is no black gunk coming out when I press my thumb in.

Pics attached. 20181103_104622-600x800.jpg20181103_104721_001-800x600.jpg

catembi

Visit site
That looks much better. Well done! You have already had lots of input, but FWIW, I have 3 barefooters, spray on sole cleanse every other day & field paste once a week. When I was between properties for ages this year, the horses were on various full liveries and their feet went dramatically downhill once off this regime. It was quite heartening in a way - I had wondered whether all the faffing about with feet & products etc was really worth it, but after seeing what happened v v quickly when their feet weren't looked after - resounding YES...!!!

Bob notacob

Visit site
Yes that looks a lot better. I have always found that Stockholm tar can achieve the same result. I paint it on and also pack the cleft of the frog with cotton wool soaked in it. It has yet to fail me.

cobgoblin

Bugrit! Millennium hand and shrimp.
Visit site
Spray on (aerosol) Stockholm tar has never failed for me... Gets right into all the nooks and crannies and sticks there.

indie1282

Visit site
That looks much better. Well done! You have already had lots of input, but FWIW, I have 3 barefooters, spray on sole cleanse every other day & field paste once a week. When I was between properties for ages this year, the horses were on various full liveries and their feet went dramatically downhill once off this regime. It was quite heartening in a way - I had wondered whether all the faffing about with feet & products etc was really worth it, but after seeing what happened v v quickly when their feet weren't looked after - resounding YES...!!!

Thank you! Yes it is quite satisfying to see some reward - especially as its flipping back breaking doing the treatments.That Hoof Stuff is a nightmare to do as it keeps sticking to me instead of the foot 🤣