Thrush Treatment

AFB

Visit site
Hi

Horse had shoes off for winter and has a bit of thrush that needs treating - what do people recommend? Not something I've dealt with first hand before - not a bad case, just a bit black around the white line.

Hoping to keep shoes off long term this time around so really keen to get this right!

Thanks

(Also in Vet but it's busier in here!)

Lintel

Visit site
My farrier reccomended me "purple spray" when my boy has thrush a few years back and it worked a treat! I'm sure there are far more fancy expensive powders that do as good as job and are probably more legit but purple spray worked for me. Now any wee signs of smelly feet I give his feet a wee spray and touch wood... We have had no thrush again!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
ditto Red horse

but bit of black around the white line sounds like white line disease rather than thrush (which is frog)? I'd consider a cleantrax treatment to kick off with if so.

AFB

Visit site
Never heard of Red Horse before - looking at this I think I'd probably need to go with Sole Cleanse.

Ester - excuse my lack of knowledge here, there is also a small amount around the frog too - so assume I would potentially need to treat for both? Is there anything other than CleanTrax that can be used for WLD - I have zero to no chance of getting him to stand with his feet in soak for 3 minutes, never mind 30!

MotherOfChickens

MotherDucker
Visit site
I use sole cleanse and field paster as a preventative. I had one horse with thrush that was only kept at bay using iodine scrubs and blue spray though.

eta rather than soak, use the 1% povidine/iodine solution and scrub with a small dishwasher brush for a few mintutes each foot.

ester

Visit site
haha, TBH if it is anything like Frank's feet were deshod it just grew out anyway, though we did do some milton soaks.. you just have to watch at that stage the small gravel bits that can lodge in the white line- a small screwdriver is great for popping them out again.

If he won't stand for soaking I'd probably use the sole cleanse from red horse and if the gap is big enough you could put some hoof stuff/artimud/field paste in for a couple of days then take it out and repeat. << those will do any frog thrush too. I moved onto them for using milton, we never get particularly obviously thrushy but do find his frogs stay better if he gets a squirt once a week :).

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Hi

Horse had shoes off for winter and has a bit of thrush that needs treating - what do people recommend? Not something I've dealt with first hand before - not a bad case, just a bit black around the white line.

Hoping to keep shoes off long term this time around so really keen to get this right!

Thanks

(Also in Vet but it's busier in here!)

I would use either Metronidazole and or engemycin spray along with peroxide, but it depends on the type of thrush or infection, my late mare has e coli within her frog and it was being eaten away to non existent, and we had to use the above to originate the area to kill the infection.

I would get the vet to check what type of bacteria you are dealing with as different types need different treatment.

Last edited:

AFB

Visit site
Brilliant, thanks everyone. I'll get some Sole Cleanse ordered and make a start with that.

I guess I should start to see some change in a week or so?

ester

Visit site
Yup, to a certain extent it is just to keep on top of it, make sure it isn't travelling upwards while you grow down a better white line.

This was Frank at deshoeing, the frog mankiness was post bar shoe

535447_10151493882390438_536107040_n.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
Leo got some thrush last month. Too much nice grass I think and me being lax ordering his minerals! I used sole cleanse and the sticky putty stuff that I cant remember the name of. Took it out 4 days later and it was pretty much cleared up. Repeated the sole cleanse and sticky putty and it was gone when I took it out :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
My farrier recommended Red Horse CleanTrax, when my mare had a fungal infection. I had to wait a fortnight for it to be in stock, so sprayed with tee-trea oil spray daily. By the time the Cleantrax arrived the infection had cleared up.

Queenbee

Visit site
Red horse field paste, artimud and hoof stuff... talk to me - what's the difference/what is best.

So a little while ago before I moved up here I went away for a few days and ben didn't have his hooves checked :( when I cam back there was a stone that had wedged itself into the tip of his frog and by the time I found it and took it out had created a pocket of sorts. Well we were doing so well keeping any nasties at bay and making progress (or so I thought) but today he was resting his foot and sore on it when he came in and it was packed again with mud and gravel. At the same time I noticed something I should have spotted earlier but it was so gradual... the collateral sulcus on all four hooves were getting deeper. At first when this happened I was pleased as he never really had any to speak of, his feet were really quite flat, when they started to deepen, they looked more normal. However, they are deeper than I would like and although not smelly at all, there is a black substance on the pick when I pick them and the tip of this one frog out. The central sulcus on the other hand on all 4 hooves is amazingly good. So I need to nip this in the bud and work on getting that tip right.

Tonight I decided a couple of days at least off the damp field is in order... with some turnout in the arena and some walking in hand. He wasn't sore after I cleared the pocket out. Picked out the hoof, scrubbed and hosed it out, then I just tipped iodine down there for now. However, I need something to paint/pack down the collateral sulcus and poke into this hole for turnout. Now I have never used Red Horse products... never needed to, but I know their reputation and they were the first website I went to when I got home.

But they have 3 products and I am confused as hell, I have no idea which one to use for the best outcome. Can people who have used them give me some idea of the differences anddirection/recommendation for which would be best? Thank you!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Leo got some thrush last month. Too much nice grass I think and me being lax ordering his minerals! I used sole cleanse and the sticky putty stuff that I cant remember the name of. Took it out 4 days later and it was pretty much cleared up. Repeated the sole cleanse and sticky putty and it was gone when I took it out :)

Red horse Artimud?

bouncing_ball

Visit site
My farrier recommended Red Horse CleanTrax, when my mare had a fungal infection. I had to wait a fortnight for it to be in stock, so sprayed with tee-trea oil spray daily. By the time the Cleantrax arrived the infection had cleared up.

Think you mean redhorse sole cleanse?

Redhorse don’t sell cleantrax. Cleantrax is a fiddle to use as need to soak feet in air tight boots for it to work.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Red horse field paste, artimud and hoof stuff... talk to me - what's the difference/what is best.

So a little while ago before I moved up here I went away for a few days and ben didn't have his hooves checked :( when I cam back there was a stone that had wedged itself into the tip of his frog and by the time I found it and took it out had created a pocket of sorts. Well we were doing so well keeping any nasties at bay and making progress (or so I thought) but today he was resting his foot and sore on it when he came in and it was packed again with mud and gravel. At the same time I noticed something I should have spotted earlier but it was so gradual... the collateral sulcus on all four hooves were getting deeper. At first when this happened I was pleased as he never really had any to speak of, his feet were really quite flat, when they started to deepen, they looked more normal. However, they are deeper than I would like and although not smelly at all, there is a black substance on the pick when I pick them and the tip of this one frog out. The central sulcus on the other hand on all 4 hooves is amazingly good. So I need to nip this in the bud and work on getting that tip right.

Tonight I decided a couple of days at least off the damp field is in order... with some turnout in the arena and some walking in hand. He wasn't sore after I cleared the pocket out. Picked out the hoof, scrubbed and hosed it out, then I just tipped iodine down there for now. However, I need something to paint/pack down the collateral sulcus and poke into this hole for turnout. Now I have never used Red Horse products... never needed to, but I know their reputation and they were the first website I went to when I got home.

But they have 3 products and I am confused as hell, I have no idea which one to use for the best outcome. Can people who have used them give me some idea of the differences anddirection/recommendation for which would be best? Thank you!

I’d not use iodine or anything caustic or damaging to skin. The best thrush treatments nuke thrush and don’t damage the frog or foot tissue.

I use a mix of sole cleanse and artimud.

Sole cleanse I spray daily after picking feet out. Artimud I smooth a layer onto sole of foot and into cracks 1-3 times a week. I then dust bottom with talc to encourage not to come off and stick to ground.

I find Artimud then stays in crevices 3-4 days.

If have deeper holes hoof stuff is good for packing holes but do need to be quite deep for it to stay put.

I find hoof paste not as useful as Artimud. I use Artimud all over sole and prefer it to hoof paste.

Queenbee

Visit site
I’d not use iodine or anything caustic or damaging to skin. The best thrush treatments nuke thrush and don’t damage the frog or foot tissue.

I use a mix of sole cleanse and artimud.

Sole cleanse I spray daily after picking feet out. Artimud I smooth a layer onto sole of foot and into cracks 1-3 times a week. I then dust bottom with talc to encourage not to come off and stick to ground.

I find Artimud then stays in crevices 3-4 days.

If have deeper holes hoof stuff is good for packing holes but do need to be quite deep for it to stay put.

I find hoof paste not as useful as Artimud. I use Artimud all over sole and prefer it to hoof paste.

Thank you BB,
Iodine went on today as it was what I had in my box and in the absence of anything else it was a good 'interim' measure. I have just ordered the hoof stuff and the sole cleanse, in the meantime he will be staying in on a nice dry straw bed with wood pellets underneath with some turnout in the sand school and I will be scrubbing those bad boys clean with a weak iodine solution. The hoof stuff is on 1st class delivery so with any luck should be here by tuesday. (fingers crossed)

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Thank you BB,
Iodine went on today as it was what I had in my box and in the absence of anything else it was a good 'interim' measure. I have just ordered the hoof stuff and the sole cleanse, in the meantime he will be staying in on a nice dry straw bed with wood pellets underneath with some turnout in the sand school and I will be scrubbing those bad boys clean with a weak iodine solution. The hoof stuff is on 1st class delivery so with any luck should be here by tuesday. (fingers crossed)

1/10 diluted Milton from supermarket or salt water is skin friendly instant alternative. Or athletes foot powered / spray.

Queenbee

Visit site
ok thanks for the recommendations but until the spray arrives I am very comfortable using an iodine solution, whatever I use on the sole I use it on the sole, not his skin. :)

Queenbee

Visit site
No the horrible sticky bandage stuff. Its such a pain to use but it does work.

I used cleantrax in plastic feedbags and ducktaped them onto the horses leg. Worked with minimal faffing and expense!
Thats their hoof stuff... just ordered that. sadly feed bags and ductape dont stand up to the test of ben... tried and failed when he was 4 and had an abscess... no matter how much ductape I used he just went straight through it with his bloody clod-hopper feet :/ x