Thumbs up RAF

Abi90

Visit site
Would just like to expand and say it wasn't just Wittering that did this! I spoke to the RAF Safety Centre and got a load of hi-viz sent out to people in Northumberland from RAF Boulmer.

whiteflower

Visit site
What a good thing for them to do. I live near a military base, my horses don't even notice when the jets and Chinooks go over and even when I've had them go over low they are focused on me and don't bother. Surely if you live near a base this is to be expected. I always wear high visibility and if there seems to be particularly high volume of air traffic I'll even wear it in the school on my young ones.
It's a shame there are a few people on there commenting who are making the horse community look rather stupid. Nothing like having a go when they are trying to help horse owners out, no wonder we end with so many non horse people having a perception on 'horsey people' well done RAF, hope it doesn't put them off trying to involve horse owners in future

Identityincrisis

Visit site
What a good thing for them to do. I live near a military base, my horses don't even notice when the jets and Chinooks go over and even when I've had them go over low they are focused on me and don't bother. Surely if you live near a base this is to be expected. I always wear high visibility and if there seems to be particularly high volume of air traffic I'll even wear it in the school on my young ones.
It's a shame there are a few people on there commenting who are making the horse community look rather stupid. Nothing like having a go when they are trying to help horse owners out, no wonder we end with so many non horse people having a perception on 'horsey people' well done RAF, hope it doesn't put them off trying to involve horse owners in future

True. We keep our horses right next to a high speed train line, they are stabled and turned out with only a fence and hedge between them and the line, it always confuses me that fellow liveries won't ride near the line yes the first couple of times the horses have to get used to seeing them but they're already used to the noise. Me and my ex racer used to race the trains! :D To me it's all part of 'Bomb proofing' horses

honetpot

Visit site
The only time I have even seen a horse startled by a plane it was there and gone in a flash, literally, it was so low. You can not say it was scared of the plane and like me it hardly saw it.

We are on a flight path, depending on what they are doing so are quite low, some very noisy, but everything just ignores them. The dog however loves to bark at them.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Mine aren't bothered by them overhead either, but I did hear of a poster coming face to face with one on a mountainside and I'm not sure I'd like that!

Good on the RAF though.

buddylove

Visit site
We get them from RAF shawbury in Shropshire. They spend an awful lot of time flying over our yard so low you can count how many bods are in there!! Horses are not remotely bothered!

willhegofirst

Visit site
My lad does get a bit worried by the low flying training helicopters, but they are there and gone before he can over react, we always wear high viz, but with the hedge rows and woodland I would be surprised if they could see us in time to change direction.

pansymouse

Visit site
I ride on Salisbury Plain so come across a lot of helicopter flying some so low you can see the whites of the pilots eyes. My rather sharp horse givens them a good ignoring; she likes to focus on real dangers like deer and the wrong coloured grass :( We do wear hi viz and I know pilots are taught to avoid stock and riders wherever possible and that they can only see riders if they are wearing hi viz.

Lanky Loll

Visit site
Great initiative, we used to keep ours on a hill bordered by a railway line, 1 mile out from the landing strip at Lyneham, by the time they'd got quiet on the main road we had to cross we could honestly say they were quiet with planes, trains and automobiles :D :D

Now we get air traffic from Brize and Fairford - see some interesting sights when the RIAT is on, but the only time we've had an issue was when we were working 2 young harness horses on our practise track and a chinook popped up the other side of the hedge :eek: cue spin and bog off moment, thankfully contained quite quickly and not the fault of the pilot at all.