thunder&lightning

jules9671

j666jwd.bebo.com
heard a rumble of thunder today, now it looks like it might be back what do you do regards horses? what if you have no place to take them in? is it safe to leave them out, i think i have known horses to be struck by lightning...

vivhewe

Visit site
My horses are out 24/7 and are *touchwood* usually okay. They generally look after themselves so don't worry about it
smile.gif

seaofdreams

Visit site
i had a x-c lesson in it !!
shocked.gif

my mare couldn't have cared less, infact i don't think she noticed! i suppose they get used to it?
mouse lives in but my other two are out, i know there has been a few storys of horses being hit but there are hundreds of horses that live out side all year round so the statistics aren't proberbly that high? there isn't much we can do really

Salcey

Visit site
I have known a mare to have been struck whilst out in the field - i think it was one of those one in a million chanes though. It was in a field on a hill and very open.
I'm sure the in most cases its fine

pelly

Visit site
we get some BAD storms down here and our horses are all put in even its at 3am!! 3 Horses got killed a few months ago and they are only up the road from moi

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Horses, cows, people can all be subject of lightening strike but it doesn't happen very often in England. As a previous poster says, if your in a very exposed place, probably on top of a hill you may have some concerns but ordinarily I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Patches

Visit site
When my husband was a boy, they lost 6 cows to a lightning strike. They'd all sheltered under a tree by the barbed wire fence in the storm. Lightning struck the fence and the six cows that must've been touching the fence were killed.

He's been terrified of lightning since that night, even to this day.

I only bring mine in during storms if they show signs of panicking. Usually nothing to do with the thunder though, two of mine just hate heavy rain. I'm lucky as they live at home so it's not too much bother to go and fetch them in anyway. Wouldn't get up in the middle of the night for them though if they were out. No chance!