Tied in at the Knee

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
I understand that it inhibits free movement and could possibly cause strain with certain disiplines, however it seems to be the lesser 'evil' of problems in that area. As for breeding potential, like any conformation fault, there is always a 50% chance that it could come out in the offspring.
Why what makes you ask?
regards
Dawn

S_N

Visit site
I'm window shopping - well maybe more than window shopping
grin.gif
I've seen something I like, but this is the only thing I can fault it on......

eohippus

equi-librium.mysite.orange.co.uk
It depends on what you want it for really. I understand the tendons are narrower in diameter in that area. So any sport that would use speed or concussion, ie, polo, eventing, endurance could predispose it to tendon injury because the limit in strength of the flexor tendons that absorb concussion. the leverage is decreased which reduces power and speed. So the horse is best used for disciplines like dressage or driving where the weight is more behind.

Although I think this is all relative to what level you may be in for these disciplines also. Obviously doing a three day high level event will predispose it to larger amounts of strain that doing a small riding club event.

I do question sometimes, when people/vets or other write about problems with faults they can only speak generally about possible problems and IMO most research is based on probabilities of horses doing high level competing in their chosen disciplines, Which is why I think that some people would say their horse had this that or the other fault and have no problem with it. Does that make sense? What do you think?

If the horse is just to be used as a brood mare, then it is risky that the fault will be passed on.

Saying that there is never a perfect affordable horse, so other things can be considered as well, to determine the suitability of what you want.

regards
Dawn

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Being totally honest with you, from a breeding perspective, I personally wouldn't breed from a mare that had any conformational faults.

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean that ALL your mares have perfect conformation? WOW!! I've never seen a horse with perfect conformation - esp. one that then matched that with performance? You must have a deep pocket - not fair

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
[ QUOTE ]

You mean that ALL your mares have perfect conformation? WOW!! I've never seen a horse with perfect conformation - esp. one that then matched that with performance? You must have a deep pocket - not fair

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, there is no such thing as a 'perfect' horse and even the best looking horse in the world, if you study him long enough, you would want to change something!
wink.gif

Perhaps what I should have said is that I wouldn't breed from something that had an obvious defect.

Oh, and yes, all my mares are perfect!
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
[ QUOTE ]
You mean that ALL your mares have perfect conformation? WOW!!

[/ QUOTE ]
Mine does
tongue.gif

Actually, I've noticed quite alot of very nice SJers here that are tied in at the knee. I suppose if the horse in question had a good soundness/performance record then I would breed from him/her.

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps what I should have said is that I wouldn't breed from something that had an obvious defect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I do here you, BUT I have to say that yes I used to thinik this, BUT now I don't so much! Working in KY, with the sheer volume of horses I handled and saw practically every day, I was gobsmacked at some of the faults of these mares that were producing the goods, in the sales ring and on the race track. One mare we used to cringe when we saw her walk, but when we turned her out - esp. on cold winter mornings when the ground was rock hard and rutted - we just wouldn't watch her! One of her front legs was apallingly deformed! It was straight down to the fetlock, but then the pastern seemed to dive inwards, ending in the foot, that she walked on the outside of - never really putting her foot down flat. It looked like there was nothing to support the fetlock and we were always waiting to hear it snap! This mare was the dam of a a horse who went on to win the Grade 1 Wood Memorial and is now a leading sire. She also was sold at Public Auction for $600,000 and her daughter (weanling) went for $1,100,000!!! Another mare, had dreadful front legs - she was HUGE too - and she was the dam of a horse who not only won the Breeders' Cup Sprint, but for a time was also the fastest horse in the world.

Yes we should aim to breed from as near perfect stock as we can, but it's all a gamble, is it not?

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
[ QUOTE ]

Yes we should aim to breed from as near perfect stock as we can, but it's all a gamble, is it not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes it is a gamble, which is why I believe in starting with the very best mare and stallion that I can.

I don't understand why you are asking for people's view's and then saying that it's not important anyway.
crazy.gif

S_N

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand why you are asking for people's view's and then saying that it's not important anyway.
crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Well let's just say I don't understand either - i confuse even myself sometimes. Maybe I should go into politics?