Tight behind saddle...

Muffin

Visit site
Hi
My showjump trainer told me today my horse was tight in his back just behind his saddle. Realise I need to get him stretching lower and longer but just wondered if anyone has any tips on good excercises to lengthen his problem muscles. Tending to carry himself a bit crooked,heavy on left hand on left rein. Hes an ex 2 star eventer whos quite a strong sly old trickster but has a heart of gold over a fence.
Any help much appreciated.

Thanks

OneInAMillion

Visit site
I would get a back person out and maybe a saddle fitter depending on what back person says and then go from there. It will be easier to loosen him up once everything has been ruled out in case you are trying to sort something out when there is a problem :)

Gamebird

Visit site
I have one like this and do lots and lots of lateral work to help him loosen up. I start with leg yields in trot and canter then move onto shoulder-in in both paces before doing more complicated stuff like leg-yielding from M to X and continuing along the centre-line in shoulder-in. Riding canter circles alternating between outside and inside flexion every half-circle or so helps as does spiralling in and leg-yielding out on a circle in trot and canter.

They can be tricky old b*ggers who've found a way of going that's easy for them but incorrect.

rebmw

Visit site
My horse often gets tight behind his saddle and my physio recommended working him over raised trot poles. Seems to really work for him.

EmmaJaneWilliams

Visit site
My horse has a similar problem sometimes, I use a local McTimoney lady and that helps release the tension and she also shows me some stretches to help the problem areas.

Definately worth having a chat with your saddler, good luck

elijahasgal

Visit site
I have just taken on a mare (well i bred her, and had the chance to buy her back) who unfortunatly has been ridden by someone who knows no better, and pulled her into an outline
I have been doing loads of long and low hacking, (getting that now, first week she spent trying to feed me her ears) but the canter when we got there was back dropped, and 4 time :(
Just worked her in a pessoa a couple of times now, which she is working out, which will help her a lot. And again bugging out hacking into the more stretched and forward going outlines. when that is more established and she is muscling up right again i will ask her for more, and getting her back checked this week, but apart from that its about back end engagement and working them into the space to the bit, not shortening the space up.

Escada2004

Visit site
I have a mare thats exactly the same, competing at 1.30m, i try and keep her long and low when schooling on the flat, with lots of change of direction to keep her soft. As said above raised trotting poles are good eslecially on the lunge and gradually move them out. I use a local McTimony lady and she really helps and i also invested in an Equlibrium Massage pad which i use on both of my jumping mares, they love it and it really helps keep them supple :)

Divasmum

Visit site
Carrot stretches, lungeing in a pessoa, raised trotting poles, hay either in a hay bar or fed on floor should all encourage the horse to stretch.

ThePony

Visit site
Def second the saddle fitter recommendation. OH mare was a little tight behind her saddle - so got the saddle fitter to take a look - turns out the saddle could do to be loosened at the gullet as the front of the saddle is sitting just a little too high which pushes the riders weight further back in the saddle which then can make the back sore. So we are having that sorted, also had the back lady out to ease out the soreness ready for the better fitting saddle to go on.
Our back lady also recommends trotting poles - making sure that the horse is working well forwards and gently on the bit - if that doesn't work well then pretty much anything other than hollow and above the bit is an improved way of going so the horse can stretch over their back rather than tightening the sore muscles.