Tight Hamstrings on my dressage horse- also in veterinary

sassyequine

Visit site
I have a 12 yr old WB who is working and competing at medium and the horse of my lifetime! He is turned out every day and hacks out on lanes and up and down grassy hills. He has regular physio and massage and stretches fantastically across his back in warm up and warm downs. The problem lies with his hamstrings which my vet describes as being tight and not helping him to step under behind.

He will continue physio etc but I'm interested to know of any ridden exercises any of you have used? My trainer is suggesting some pole work which will be new to him as he has never jumped, has no self preservation and spooks a lot! It will be good for his brain as well! Any other advice or experience is welcome? Thanks.

strides-eventing

Visit site
I agree with your trainer, anything that gets him engaging his brain to think about where he is putting his legs and getting him drawing his hindleg under, so polework, you don't have to have jumps as such, ground poles and mix it up with slightly raised poles and suchlike will be great.

If you figure it out that this will be affecting more muscles than only the hamstrings, so it is the obliques you need to get working as this is what draws the hind leg under into flexion which is what your describing he is struggling with, which in turn should help your hamstrings problems.

There are lots of polework exercises you can do have a look around online to find some out so you don't end up boring yourself and your horse.

Some horses with tight hamstrings tend to almost sit on their stable walls/doors, in attempt to stretch them.

Ask your physio and massage therapist for advice, there may be some stretches or other types of work they could advise you to do to help him out. :)