Time between tests

be positive

Visit site
I think that is unfair, it gives just about 5-6 mins to recover before starting the second, it gives little time to set them up properly if you let them stretch out after the first, unless everyone has similar gaps I would ask for one to be changed, it is probably an oversight by the organisers which can happen if they have a lot going on.

McFluff

Visit site
Blimey, that is very tight. Barely gives you time to let horse relax a bit before off again. I’d want a min of 20 mins, but I have no idea if there are any actual rules on that.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would be highlighting it to them asking if they made a mistake (because if one arena gets held up thats going to generate issues for them!)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks this. It is a long established venue, but not long established BD. I competed there many years ago on my old mare Unaffiliated. There are pretty much the same competitors in both classes, but we are not all in the same running order. I had asked for late times as I have to drive 40+ miles to get there, but am second in at just gone 9. Ho hum. Not sure there is much I can do, but at least I know I have some right to feel a little grumpy about my times. Cassie will likely come out wired from the first test, so will enter the second test the same. I know it's not their fault she is feeling particularly hot with the spring grass at the moment, but it would be nice to have time to catch my breath at least. x

ester

Visit site
honestly it depends what software they have used to sort out test times, having just used excel it can be tricky making sure your arenas don't clash ;)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
honestly it depends what software they have used to sort out test times, having just used excel it can be tricky making sure your arenas don't clash ;)

I'l pm you the link on FB. When I first looked at the list this morning they had people with 4 minutes between start times. These have now been changed, but I don't see how it is that hard. I say that as someone who spent many years doing times for dressage competitions for my old RC, so I do know it is a fairly thankless task, but not that bad. xx

be positive

Visit site
I'm glad it isn't just me that thinks this. It is a long established venue, but not long established BD. I competed there many years ago on my old mare Unaffiliated. There are pretty much the same competitors in both classes, but we are not all in the same running order. I had asked for late times as I have to drive 40+ miles to get there, but am second in at just gone 9. Ho hum. Not sure there is much I can do, but at least I know I have some right to feel a little grumpy about my times. Cassie will likely come out wired from the first test, so will enter the second test the same. I know it's not their fault she is feeling particularly hot with the spring grass at the moment, but it would be nice to have time to catch my breath at least. x

You are obviously not part of the "in crowd" asking for late times and getting an early slot is just being bloody minded, I did the same once for a ODE and gave a good reason, I was put in early in a big class going before people based there at livery, since then I never asked for special treatment as I do feel some organisers just take that as an incentive to do the opposite. I would make a point of complaining even if you do it after the classes and don't go there again if they don't apologise, you will get worse treatment next time if they don't take it well.
When I used to run RC dressage I found it so much easier to keep the running order much the same giving approx 30 mins between tests unless someone requested less.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
You are obviously not part of the "in crowd" asking for late times and getting an early slot is just being bloody minded, I did the same once for a ODE and gave a good reason, I was put in early in a big class going before people based there at livery, since then I never asked for special treatment as I do feel some organisers just take that as an incentive to do the opposite. I would make a point of complaining even if you do it after the classes and don't go there again if they don't apologise, you will get worse treatment next time if they don't take it well.
When I used to run RC dressage I found it so much easier to keep the running order much the same giving approx 30 mins between tests unless someone requested less.

I said to myself ages ago not to ask for late times because of this, but weakened because it was a new BD venue and I thought they might be nicer. I agree that it seems as though people read the requests and do the complete opposite unless you are pally with them. It's frustrating. x

ester

Visit site
BP the trouble they have (with the link now) is that they have not many entries and have opted to run both prelims 'together' as they only start 10 mins apart.. and most of those entries are the same people so they've not left themselves much room for manouvere. They probably should have increased the start time gap between the arenas.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
BP the trouble they have (with the link now) is that they have not many entries and have opted to run both prelims 'together' as they only start 10 mins apart.. and most of those entries are the same people so they've not left themselves much room for manouvere. They probably should have increased the start time gap between the arenas.

Yes, as you said in your pm (sorry don't want to name venue), it might have been better to run the prelims one after the next and start the novice at the same time. Classes are busy at the moment as the summer regional deadline is not far away. x

be positive

Visit site

They could have spread it out a bit more, possibly it is only 1 or 2 that end up so close, entries are not what they used to be, I remember having to ballot our RC entries now they barely have enough to use up a set of rosettes per class and BD seems to be much the same at many venues.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
They could have spread it out a bit more, possibly it is only 1 or 2 that end up so close, entries are not what they used to be, I remember having to ballot our RC entries now they barely have enough to use up a set of rosettes per class and BD seems to be much the same at many venues.

They say they have record entries, but the prelims are light for some reason. So less than 10 for prelims but 20-30 for the later classes. I do feel they are trying to work it out in terms of being a new BD venue which is why I don't really want to say who it is, but just felt that my test times were incredibly tight. x

coss

Visit site
I had 9mins between tests once - one was indoors and one was outdoors giving me time to do test 1... then 2 mins to get from the indoor arena to the outdoor and the outdoor was running early... I happened to know another competitor so asked if she would mind swapping times with me (the organisers had missed me from one of the classes and when i complained just added me without checking time gaps) - her times meant she'd stil get a decent break so she agreed. i then confirmed with the stewards if it was ok and explained my reason for swapping - they confirmed with the other rider and then didn't tell the judge/writer leading to heaps of confusion but all got sorted in the end.
Are other competitors on the same sort of gap? If you know anyone else it may be worth asking if you can swap and definitley worth you politely complaining at the gap (things can delay test times). Maybe suggest they give at least 20mins between tests to allow for that. If they are new to BD they may appreciate the suggestion and the judges may even comment.

ester

Visit site

Oh they definitely could have done a better job/thought it through a bit more once they realised.

Counterpoint

Visit site
I'd love this!
I always ask for about 10 mins between tests (although I do indicate that I appreciate this may not be possible) as my horse goes off the boil really easily so 1 warm up, test, few mins stretching, pick up couple of mins then in...
Anything 20mins to an hour makes it difficult as its not enough to put away and untack but too much to stay on.

I asked for around 10 mins the other day and got an hour and a half - I think it was as you say the venue being bloody minded as there were 10+ in each class and I was 2nd to go in the 1st and last but 2 in the 2nd with almost an hour and a half between! I probably couldn't have been 10 mins, but it seemed a little extreme.

On a related subject I know of a venue that does its 'drawn' orders by sorting by first name. So Anne always ends up first to go, and Zara last...

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I'd love this!
I always ask for about 10 mins between tests (although I do indicate that I appreciate this may not be possible) as my horse goes off the boil really easily so 1 warm up, test, few mins stretching, pick up couple of mins then in...
Anything 20mins to an hour makes it difficult as its not enough to put away and untack but too much to stay on.

I asked for around 10 mins the other day and got an hour and a half - I think it was as you say the venue being bloody minded as there were 10+ in each class and I was 2nd to go in the 1st and last but 2 in the 2nd with almost an hour and a half between! I probably couldn't have been 10 mins, but it seemed a little extreme.

On a related subject I know of a venue that does its 'drawn' orders by sorting by first name. So Anne always ends up first to go, and Zara last...

But I don't have 10 minutes between my tests, I have 11 minutes between the start of each test which assuming they are running on time means I have around 4 minutes between - I wouldn't get to the warm up and back in that time so I will literally be going straight from one arena to the next. :( Anyway, it is what it is and we'll just do the best we can. Competing is all about dealing with different situations so I'll treat it as another experience to get through. x

debbielinder

Visit site
To be honest i'd be chuffed with those times. I've had 10 mins before today last in the first test, first in the second test. my horse switches of quite quickly and he hates it if i get off and get back on so they would suit me down to the ground. I never request anything as like above i'm inclined to believe they do the complete opposite of whats you ask anyway.

JustMe22

Visit site
I always find this fascinating! In South Africa we go directly from one test in one arena, directly into the next door arena for the following test. Without question. I have never ever seen it done in any other fashion, save for the FEI levels where often there is only one test per day.

You literally leave at A, introduce yourself to the next judge, and come down the centre line for second test. I like it as it means you're done and dusted very quickly :)

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I always find this fascinating! In South Africa we go directly from one test in one arena, directly into the next door arena for the following test. Without question. I have never ever seen it done in any other fashion, save for the FEI levels where often there is only one test per day.

You literally leave at A, introduce yourself to the next judge, and come down the centre line for second test. I like it as it means you're done and dusted very quickly :)

How interesting! It's so nice having HHOers from around the globe to see how it's done elsewhere :)

That would be a disaster for me! I like at least 30 mins, preferably an hour. My welsh gets tired after a warm up and a test going at full power, she definitely needs a little break, sometimes has a drink, and then we go back for a shorter warm up before the second test. It's much better for her if we do a PSG because we only do one class and she can use all her energy in one go :p but that's the difference being on native diesel power I guess - not sure what the WB will be like yet :D

I think you're looking at this the right way niki, it's a PITA but will be another experience under your belts.

Just another thought, might be worth mentioning to the RDO for the area because it's possible they can intervene for the next time the venue have a BD show.

Kikke

Visit site
Funny,I suppose it's a personal thing. I would go from one centre line to the next if I could every time. 30 seconds in between would work best for me. But if it's a problem for you I would ask them to give some extra time, always worth a phone call!

Curly_Feather

Visit site
I'm in South Africa. If you entered 2 tests at the same level (which is the norm here), you ALWAYS go straight from the one to the other. No time in between at all.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Interesting that in South Africa it works like that - it's funny how different conventions evolve in different places.

Quick update on how it went - we were asked to report back to the steward in the warm up area between tests, so thankfully that got us away from the arena on a long rein before riding the second test. Cassie is incredibly 'hot' at the moment as she is feeling well and in season. I think she would have boiled over going straight from one test to the other as she was still pretty wired even at the halt in the first test. It was a lovely friendly venue, good surfaces, catering etc. They did seem to have a problem with their times as the ones given out on their website were not the same as the ones the stewards had. So I don't even know what time exactly I went in. I'm sure they will work it all out soon enough. :) x

Curly_Feather

Visit site

Only saw your post after I'd replied :) I really like doing both tests together. It makes the show day shorter. I'm already terrified and freaked out, so I might as well stay that way for both tests without an adrenaline crash in between :D

But in all seriousness, one thing that it forces us to work on is fitness, both our own and the horse's. Which I think is always a good thing.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Only saw your post after I'd replied :) I really like doing both tests together. It makes the show day shorter. I'm already terrified and freaked out, so I might as well stay that way for both tests without an adrenaline crash in between :D

But in all seriousness, one thing that it forces us to work on is fitness, both our own and the horse's. Which I think is always a good thing.

Cassie's fitness is something I never need to work on. She's like an energiser bunny!! :D :D