TIME TO RE-THINK HORSE TRANSPORT

cp1980

Visit site
Given the political, economic, strategic and envionmental contraints that will inevitably contrain domestic road transport in the UK/EU, is it time that we look to suitable alternatives for tranporting horses to shows and events?

Car licence changes in 1997 has resulted in a growth of 3.5 tonne horse boxes? Will retrictions on 4x4 gas guzzlers result in changes to trailer design?

Here are some thoughts on trailer design from Chairman CP1980:

Discovery-sized 4x4s will become costly to own as the cost of fuel rises, difficult to own as politicans of all colours will target them as disproportionate contributers to climate change and society as a whole will start to think them rather unfasionable. Freelander-sized 4x4s and smaller may survive. Hyvrid petrol-electric vehicles will become more common. On the whole, fewer vehicles will be able to tow large weights.

Therefore, double horse trailers will become rare and people will have to use horseboxes if they want to transport more than a single horse.

As tow cars become smaller and lighter, trailer manufactuers will have to design trailers which lighter, but able to remain stable when traveling with horses. Suspension will become more important, and perhaps trailers will have wheels at each corner, with a front turning axle, rather than having to rest on the rear axle of a car.

In the end, trailers will probably have look like this:

24enpyt.jpg

(they would have to be made out of more lightweight materials too)

The single horse would face backwards, it's head over a high-tech rear axle suspension unit. At the front, the turntable-mounted front axle would take the weight of the trailer, rather than the car tow bar and the car's susension. The brakes would be electric-assisted, rather than relying on the weight of the car for mechanical actuation.

This would leave the towcar to supply the forward propulsion only, leaving it to be lighter and therefore more efficient.

cp1980

Visit site
Bascially, todays horse trailers are heavy because they need to be stable when on the move with horses. They also use rest some of their weight on the back of the carriage.

If cars are to use less petrol, then they will need to become lighter and won't be able to tow a heavy trailer as they are today.

Trailer makers would have to make lighter trailers so that people can continue to use them, but there is a risk that a lightweight trailer would be unstable and therefore unsafe.

Trailers of the future will therefore have to be a different shape, and have more clever suspension to make sure they are stable when the weight of the trailer is almost negligible!

cp1980

Visit site
"I dont like the idea of it being a single trailer. Most people only tow with a max of 2. I certainly wouldnt buy one!! "

Then you'd have to pay through the nose to have a large 4x4 with massive road tax rates and fuel bills.

SueAllen

Visit site
I can only just afford one horse, not two. Most people I hunt, hack and compete with, if they have a trailer, only take one horse at time. I think these ideas are interesting......the idea of having to pay soooo much for owing a 4wd is fec**ng outrageous for many of us who use the 4wd for farming/smallholding/energy saving reasons. Mind you, how much would one of these new tech trailers cost?