Time to renew your membership......errrr

xDundryx

Visit site
Not a post with much purpose this whole isolation malarkey has me permanently logged into HHO to wile away the hours! So today I got inundated with renewal reminders, seems kind of sods law-ish! BD for horse and I, ROR, BHS and I'd just renewed Forces Equine a couple of weeks ago. Totting it all up it's a fair old amount. (I seriously don't know how you BE guys do it I'd have to sell a kidney!) I've decide to put the renewals on hold until we are back to some kind of normality. In some ways I feel bad as without the support and membership fees some organisations will struggle but on the flip side justifying £000's when everything is cancelled and prioritising finances has never been so important is madness.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I renewed my BHS for the insurance.
Yeah this is the thing for me too.
My BD membership is due (email came overnight).
I renewed my horse reg 10 days ago ?
So there's no escaping it, I'll have to renew though I'm going to do the pay monthly option instead of coughing up the whole sum.

Trouper

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance (as I never did anything that clever with mine) but does part of the membership fee go towards the costs of putting on events - or are they self-funded by the participants? I ask because my local gym (which cannot be used just now) has introduced a reduced direct debit payment of £1 monthly just to keep the admin ticking over and save everyone cancelling their membership and having to start it all up again when the world starts turning properly again.

xDundryx

Visit site
My horses insurance renewal quote has just come through this morning as well eek! Its jumped considerable and he has a new list of exclusions despite not making a claim in 2 years ? I think insurance shopping is next on my list. We are with Petplan who in all fairness were fantastic when we made our one and only claim for his head injury in 2018 but nearly £10 more a month is a bit crazy and the excess has now gone up to £500 ?

xDundryx

Visit site
Excuse my ignorance (as I never did anything that clever with mine) but does part of the membership fee go towards the costs of putting on events - or are they self-funded by the participants? I ask because my local gym (which cannot be used just now) has introduced a reduced direct debit payment of £1 monthly just to keep the admin ticking over and save everyone cancelling their membership and having to start it all up again when the world starts turning properly again.
Oh I've no idea I always assumed the fees went towards putting on events but then again the hosting venue has to pay hefty affiliation costs as well I believe. Our gym released an email last night saying they would freeze all monthly payments until further notice which is great but I didn't expect it they still have staff and Bill's to pay. I hope businesses survive :(

huskydamage

Visit site
I have have one membership thing but it cost me 100quid. Also this year is the first year ever I bought a jump cross membership (to work out more cost effective as I usually do a few jump cross things) sod's law ?.
I'd love to refund my memberships as they really are a waste of money now, which I could use elsewhere. I can't see the company's doing that though, they've lost enough money already.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Oh I've no idea I always assumed the fees went towards putting on events but then again the hosting venue has to pay hefty affiliation costs as well I believe. Our gym released an email last night saying they would freeze all monthly payments until further notice which is great but I didn't expect it they still have staff and Bill's to pay. I hope businesses survive :(

I hate to point it out to you, but BHS, British Dressage also have staff and bills to pay. :rolleyes:
If everyone is as selfish as you, they may find that there is no BHS, and no BD to run events when this pandemic is over.

xDundryx

Visit site
Wow shilasdair if you read my posts they are not selfish at all but weighing up the options and completely understanding that companies have Bill's to pay identified by my surprise that the gym froze memberships. I feel you are bang out of order in your reply but we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm currently quaranteented for 14 days with a cough and temp so now my whole family is. Our horse has had to go on full livery at a cost of over £500 per month. The money to pay for this has come from not renewing these, priorities unfortunately, not selfishness.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Wow shilasdair if you read my posts they are not selfish at all but weighing up the options and completely understanding that companies have Bill's to pay identified by my surprise that the gym froze memberships. I feel you are bang out of order in your reply but we are all entitled to our opinions. I'm currently quaranteented for 14 days with a cough and temp so now my whole family is. Our horse has had to go on full livery at a cost of over £500 per month. The money to pay for this has come from not renewing these, priorities unfortunately, not selfishness.

I did read your posts, very carefully, before I replied.
And now, you are bringing in a reason for not supporting these organisations (paying for livery) that you oddly didn't mention above...
There are real people in these organisations, hardworking staff, volunteers. Perhaps you could think about them as well as the events you like to attend.

xDundryx

Visit site
I am most certainly not selfish my job is trying to help others, going onto 12 hour shifts (at best) and cancelled rest days etc resulting in this current situation. My post was on the feasibility of renewing memberships without, going into details why, hence why a livery bill or my monthly income or latest toilet roll bill was not mentioned. Yes livery has stretched the bank and no I cannot justify renewing memberships alongside full livery costs at this time, yes these organisations have bill's and staff to pay ? but again so does everyone else. My decisions are right now sensible not selfish.

TPO

Visit site
I am most certainly not selfish my job is trying to help others, going onto 12 hour shifts (at best) and cancelled rest days etc resulting in this current situation. My post was on the feasibility of renewing memberships without, going into details why, hence why a livery bill or my monthly income or latest toilet roll bill was not mentioned. Yes livery has stretched the bank and no I cannot justify renewing memberships alongside full livery costs at this time, yes these organisations have bill's and staff to pay ? but again so does everyone else. My decisions are right now sensible not selfish.

Take no heed, most people understand where you are coming from.

There is a lot of uncertainty and very few have job security and guaranteed wages during this crisis. It would be a bit mw tal stretching yourself to may memberships, with all the good will and intentions in the world behind it, to find that you cant pay essential outgoings should circumstances change quickly I this climate.

P.S. forum has been a much nicer place to read threads since applying User Ignore to posters who never miss a chance to stick the boot it and/or be antagonistic.

Shilasdair

Patting her thylacine
Visit site
Yes, TPO, if Dundry puts me on User Ignore, she can avoid considering anyone else in this pandemic apart from herself. :rolleyes:

Personally I post on forums to hear alternative perspectives, but I guess you may be more closed-minded.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have to agree with TPO there's no point over stretching to pay for memberships you don't need, if you're already under pressure (and quarantined - so obviously the OP is thinking of others at the moment) .

If i had alternative 3rd party ins I wouldn't be paying mine right now, it's not clear what's going to happen with my job and if it goes properly tits up then I won't even have the horses that needed the insurance anyway. BD etc may need the money - well, don't we all. It's going to be tough for everyone and each person has to prioritise their outgoings.

FWIW it looks like BD at least are trying to organise events for people to take part in remotely. While I can I'll be supporting those, as well as venues offering private hire etc, until we are told not to.

xDundryx

Visit site
?‍♀️ Not quite sure what gives someone on the end of a keyboard the right to call me selfish or suggest that I am merely thinking of myself with this post. However they are entitled to their opinion just not the unjustified personal attack. If I was selfish or purely thinking about myself I would be off out buying loo roll and merrily trotting about the stables shoving 2 fingers up at our government, colleagues and everyone else trying to do their best in a crazy fluid situation. A lot of us will be lucky to have horses after all this ? Whilst I have a guaranteed income, it is a lot lower than my husbands, which is on shakey ground. I think I've said everything I can, cant win them all ?

Reactions: TPO