Time to say goodbye?

Champion1969

Visit site
I'm posting this on behalf of my friend who has no internet access at the moment.

24-year-old TB mare has started to turn really nasty in the field, not even allowing any other horses to be caught and won't be caught herself unless is raining. Yesterday she lunged forward bearing teeth while her owner was putting her headcollar on knocking her to the floor then turned back and went at her again, luckily she escaped, and left her in the field. Today we are seeking as many opinions on what to do, even going down the PTS route, please advise.

bonny

Visit site
Nobody can really answer that without more information, how long has she owned the horse, what she is like day to day, is she retired etc etc

Champion1969

Visit site
Nobody can really answer that without more information, how long has she owned the horse, what she is like day to day, is she retired etc etc

Sorry, I've amended now. Owned her for 9 years and she’s semi-retired, just hacks out but lots of teeth problems and arthritis

Shay

Visit site
It doesn't immediately sound like something pain or illnes related. More poor behaviour. Is she only caught to ride?

be positive

Visit site
It could well be pain related if she is only brought in to be ridden and is not happy seeing her friends leave her when they get caught, it doesn't excuse her behaviour but could well explain it.
There may be more to the dynamics within the field/ routine that make her stressed and aggressive, horses can be very complex and being in pain complicates matters especially if she is the oldest / longest resident that may be losing her place in the herd.

Champion1969

Visit site
It could well be pain related if she is only brought in to be ridden and is not happy seeing her friends leave her when they get caught, it doesn't excuse her behaviour but could well explain it.
There may be more to the dynamics within the field/ routine that makes her stressed and aggressive, horses can be very complex and being in pain complicates matters especially if she is the oldest / longest resident that may be losing her place in the herd.

Yes, I think so.

I foolishly went in tonight as she was stood alone, and she went for me at around 10 yards, luckily I had some treats to chuck at her as a distraction whilst I got away. She's not a happy girl at all :(

southerncomfort

Visit site
I think I'd have the vet out to have a look before I made any big decisions.

Might be constant low grade pain making her snarky. Might be time to start giving a bit of daily bute.

Also has anything changed such as feed, routine, herd dynamics? Sometimes a new horse being introduced to a herd can have quite a profound effect on behaviour.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Agree with the above poster re. getting the vet out before any "big decision" is made.

My old boy (PTS last autumn aged 22) used to always go a bit peculiar in the winter months, mood-wise; then in the Summer months his normally placid nature would reinstate itself. You always knew that it would, but worried in case it didn't! As he got older, and increasingly suffered from arthritic issues, something I noticed was that he got far more stressy when solo hacking - little things would upset him and he was far more clingy to me as Herd Leader. It felt like he knew that he was the weak member of the herd and instinct told him that if a predator did come along, then he'd be easy pickings, and I believe this is what made him appear insecure.

Perhaps this mare is feeling her age, and maybe also there is a bit of bullying going on from other herd members, who are sensing that she is not so able to defend herself as she once was? If this behaviour has started quite recently, then there's got to be an explanation for it.

I would look at the most obvious things like turnout/other herd members; then look at feed. Then look at pain issues like teeth, mobility, etc., and get the vet out to take a look and see what is going on before any "decision" is made.

But at the end of the day, there IS obviously something going on; and there are a lot worse things that can happen to a horse than being PTS quietly and humanely if behaviour has become unmanageable/dangerous and there is no other solution.

Feeling for you, its never easy. But I'd deffo get the vet first.

lovingponies

Visit site
A friend of mine had this many years ago with her horse and it turned out to be a cyst on her ovaries that altered the hormones...