Time to say goodbye?????

PC Steele

Visit site
My 26 yr old has Cushing’s disease and is arthritic. About 6 weeks ago he became very grumpy and had his ‘pain’ face on - dead behind the eyes, went off his food etc (I have had him 22 years so know him inside out) Vet out, Cushing’s is under control so vet suggested joint meds which he has had before with really good results. Fast forward 6 weeks and he looks great, bright eyed, eating well however he is essentially lame/unlevel in walk despite being on 2 bute. He lies down and can get up no problem but I am conscious that he is still not sound in walk despite 2 bute. He is about to go out at night so this will help as being in a stable is the worst thing. Do I give him the summer then re assess?

Honey08

Waffled a lot!
Visit site
Yes probably.
My 24 year old mare is in the same boat. She’s on two Danilon a day and two prascend. She’s stiff in walk, can barely trot in winter (and was always a very forward, honest horse). She’s getting foot ulcers every now and again, something they think is down to the cushings. The last one was awful, I’ve never seen one like it. I really thought it was time (again, been there twice before!) but she’s a real fighter. And she’s still very much her clever self. Every winter I think it’s going to be her last, but she perks up so much in summer I change my mind! Doesn’t help that we live in a wet, cold corner of the Pennines!
Anyway just a rambling post to say I understand! It’s not easy. I’m hoping it’s more obvious when the time comes.

meleeka

Visit site
If he’s happy now then there’s no reason to pts yet, but yes I’d reassess in the Autumn. You know him well, so you are likely to see any deterioration quickly so I’d just be prepared for when that time comes. Is he also on a joint supplement? Does he actually lay down to sleep or just to roll? That was the first thing with my lad, he still rolled, but didn’t actually lay down to sleep.

It sounds like his lameness bothers you more than it does him currently.

PC Steele

Visit site
If he’s happy now then there’s no reason to pts yet, but yes I’d reassess in the Autumn. You know him well, so you are likely to see any deterioration quickly so I’d just be prepared for when that time comes. Is he also on a joint supplement? Does he actually lay down to sleep or just to roll? That was the first thing with my lad, he still rolled, but didn’t actually lay down to sleep.

It sounds like his lameness bothers you more than it does him currently.
He is on a joint supplement and I think he does sleep as his rug is covered in bedding on one side in the morning and the poo is flat where he has laid in it, it is better for his movement out over night but I’m pretty sure he doesn’t lie down and sleep in the field so that is a concern. You are totally correct when you say it bothers me more. I’m just so worried that he is in pain

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
What do you do? You do what is right for you. At this point, a few months here or there is going to make no real difference to him, only to you. Myself, I choose to PTS any horse I think could be in pain when I know there is every reason that they might be, and unlevel on 2 bute a day would be a clincher for me. They don't stand in the field looking forward to a warm sunny summer, all they know is they are in pain today. To my surprise when I had one with it two years ago, arthritis often hurts a lot more in hot weather. You could also factor that into your decision.

It's a very hard decision when you've had them that long. I feel for you.

HashRouge

Visit site
What do you do? You do what is right for you. At this point, a few months here or there is going to make no real difference to him, only to you. Myself, I choose to PTS any horse I think could be in pain when I know there is every reason that they might be, and unlevel on 2 bute a day would be a clincher for me. They don't stand in the field looking forward to a warm sunny summer, all they know is they are in pain today. To my surprise when I had one with it two years ago, arthritis often hurts a lot more in hot weather. You could also factor that into your decision.

It's a very hard decision when you've had them that long. I feel for you.
I find the same thing about hot weather. My 29 yr old is really not a fan!

OP, is he noticeably lame in walk at the moment?

I think I would be inclined to see how he goes once he is turned out overnight, and reassess then rather than at the end of the summer.

I have a 29 yr old that I have also owned for a very long time (20 years) and I do feel like I am constantly watching her like a hawk. I would say she is pretty sound for her age though, and extremely feisty; she constantly surprises me!

Hollylee1989

Visit site
Has your vet gave you the option on trying joint injections? The ground is so hard at the moment, not an arthritic horses best friend! What's he like with the softer ground during winter? It's a positive sign he can get back up after lying down, and seems to of perked up.

Peregrine Falcon

Looking forward to drier days
Visit site
How lame is he in walk? I had my old boy from a yearling and had him PTS last Sept aged 28 so I understand where you are coming from in terms of knowing them. He'd aged last year and I noticed the changes in coat, feet, skin etc. I started keeping a closer eye on how he was managing. Sadly he came down with laminitis so I let him pass peacefully.

Personally I would not be comfortable with a lame horse struggling in the summer with heat/flies etc. If being out makes a difference to him then fair enough but the hard ground is unforgiving. Only you can make that decision so you'll do the best for your lad. When you have shared so much together it's hard to think of loosing them.

PC Steele

Visit site
I find the same thing about hot weather. My 29 yr old is really not a fan!

OP, is he noticeably lame in walk at the moment?

I think I would be inclined to see how he goes once he is turned out overnight, and reassess then rather than at the end of the summer.

I have a 29 yr old that I have also owned for a very long time (20 years) and I do feel like I am constantly watching her like a hawk. I would say she is pretty sound for her age though, and extremely feisty; she constantly surprises me!
Yes however this does get less notice Le with movement. At the moment when I bring him out of the stable in the morning he is bad but bringing him in from the field at night it is less noticeable

PC Steele

Visit site
How lame is he in walk? I had my old boy from a yearling and had him PTS last Sept aged 28 so I understand where you are coming from in terms of knowing them. He'd aged last year and I noticed the changes in coat, feet, skin etc. I started keeping a closer eye on how he was managing. Sadly he came down with laminitis so I let him pass peacefully.

Personally I would not be comfortable with a lame horse struggling in the summer with heat/flies etc. If being out makes a difference to him then fair enough but the hard ground is unforgiving. Only you can make that decision so you'll do the best for your lad. When you have shared so much together it's hard to think of loosing them.
That is my worry!!! Whilst he seems to be better with movement the hard ground is worrying me!!!!

PC Steele

Visit site
Thank you everyone!!! I am in bits I can’t even remember what it’s like not to have him in my life. He made my dreams come true by competing in advanced dressage. Just one last question I promise!!!! There is a ‘school of thought’ that ok his gait has changed and he is technically lame but when humans grow old their ‘gait’ changes? We become stiff and most of us put up with low grade pain I guess the problem is they can’t tell us. I guess I’m having one last ditch attempt to keep him going xxxxx

Goldenstar

Visit site
We are not a predated herbivore our brains are wired differently and being in chronic pain myself it’s not something I would inflict on one of my old horse friends .
I have a lame 20yo he’s sound in walk not on pain relief atm he gets lame when he does to much then we medicate him for a while if he where lame in walk I would call it a day .

Ratface

Visit site
I'm old, have arthritis and quite severe joint pain. I manage it by a mix of medication, rest and exercise.
My horse is also old. He's (at the moment) sound and lively. He's on no medication. If he became unsound, due to arthritic changes, I would have no hesitation in having him pts immediately. I would be heartbroken. I owe him everything. He owes me nothing.
I'm firmly in the "do not strive to keep alive" camp, when it comes to animals in degrees of pain that will not remit.

SEL

Visit site
We lost an old horse in March. I didn't own him so couldn't make the call but in the 2 weeks leading up to it his demeanor changed. I gave him hay one morning and knew (really deep down knowing) that he'd had enough.

I've got 3 with varying degrees of lameness and none of them give me anywhere near that vibe thankfully. I do bute one of those and I'm conscious his days are numbered - if the bute causes a problem or there's anything else that stops him enjoying mooching in my paddocks then that's my decision made sadly. A blisteringly hot summer wouldn't be fair on him either.

PC Steele

Visit site
One day you will go to see him and know it's time. Sad eyes, lame - just 'not happy', his grumpiness is a start. Just keep doing what your doing, taking it one day at a time. and as a conscientious owner, you will do the right thing.
And we are all here to support you...
Thanks
Yes the joint meds have taken away his ‘pain face’ for now but I will be monitoring him closely. Thanks for your support and to everyone who has replied. It means a lot xxxx

Getbackboys

Visit site
big hugs for a heart breaking time in your life, you will know when it is time, its hard to explain but they really show you and you just get that sign it is time, so on that score enjoy what time you have left to make more special memories x

Getbackboys

Visit site
my beautiful boy i lost last year in May was never sad nor sorry, he did have arthritis but was not needing bute to keep him happy as he was not at that stage, i happened to have spent a lot of time 4 weeks up to the time i lost him burying my head in his neck, my arms under his mane telling him he had better not leave me, well it was taken out of my hands,

i was going to get the vet out on the following monday just to give him an mot but he went down on the sunday early hours, vet said he may have tweaked himself when rolling and tired himself trying to get up until i arrived which is always early i am never late to get to them in the morning. i wish i had had the mot done the previous week but hindsight is a wonderful thing, at least i was able to say good bye.

i do still argue the fact with the vet who came out that we could have lifted him with the tractor and straps and then. assessed him once all four legs were upright but vet went against my request even though farmer was on his was with the tractor and straps. he tried to sit up 3 times but couldnt lift his back end which makes me feel we could have tried to see if he had a injury that could have been trated, my heart is so broken over his loss, so enjoy your time together

Pegasus5531

Visit site
After recently having to make the decision to put my mare to sleep I would say I actually felt relieved when I knew she wasn't in pain anymore. It was really difficult to say goodbye and to make that choice but I realised that I was keeping her going because I couldn't face parting with her but it was kinder to let her go. I would say if you're even thinking about it then maybe you already have your answer?

Leandy

Visit site
i do still argue the fact with the vet who came out that we could have lifted him with the tractor and straps and then. assessed him once all four legs were upright but vet went against my request even though farmer was on his was with the tractor and straps. he tried to sit up 3 times but couldnt lift his back end which makes me feel we could have tried to see if he had a injury that could have been trated, my heart is so broken over his loss, so enjoy your time together

Sorry for your loss but the vet was right you know! An elderly horse with known degenerative issues which has gone down and is unable to heave itself to its feet of its own volition is in a bad way for whatever reason (and it may not be a lameness issue). It is not necessarily a kindness to haul it to its feet so you can look at its limbs thoroughly. That is not going to be a stress free or painless experience for it.....

Highmileagecob

Visit site
It is a very sad decision to have to make, and I am counting down the remaining years with my oldie. They really cannot sit in a rocking chair doing puzzles, they need good quality of life. No regrets - remember that you give them a long, happy life. I have watched a horse being kept alive in its declining years, taking over half an hour to haul itself to stand, keeping away from the rest of the herd, and looking as poor as a church mouse all because the owner couldn't bear to part with him. He really deserved better.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
My 30yo had been a little stiff for a while but was still his happy natured self. It was when his teeth deteriorated too much that his attitude changed and I had him PTS. I think when you know a horse well you know if he is enjoying life or not. I'm unsound but not ready to go yet.

Birker2020

Visit site
My 26 yr old has Cushing’s disease and is arthritic. About 6 weeks ago he became very grumpy and had his ‘pain’ face on - dead behind the eyes, went off his food etc (I have had him 22 years so know him inside out) Vet out, Cushing’s is under control so vet suggested joint meds which he has had before with really good results. Fast forward 6 weeks and he looks great, bright eyed, eating well however he is essentially lame/unlevel in walk despite being on 2 bute. He lies down and can get up no problem but I am conscious that he is still not sound in walk despite 2 bute. He is about to go out at night so this will help as being in a stable is the worst thing. Do I give him the summer then re assess?
I could have written that about my previous horse. She had a weird lameness that wasn't consistent, and her foot starting swinging outwards often catching my foot or leg as she walked next to me, that had never been a problem previously. The lameness then became a lot more consistent, then she developed a foot abscess that didn't appear to heal although hardly anything had come out of it. She was on one sachet of bute a day at this point and I was happy to complete retire her and not ride her again but then we couldn't control the lameness, so we had to up the bute to two, which wasn't massive as she was 17.1hh. But eventually when it became clear that the abscess was a bit of a red herring I had her nerve blocked and x-rayed and the x-ray showed dramatic deterioration of the navicular bone. The vet felt the DDFT was catching on the back of a spur on the navicular bone. So I had to have her pts as 2 bute were barely keeping her sound.

She was 24 and I'd had her 17 years. No regrets, perfect timing, I did everything I could. I knew she'd had enough when she played up for the vet, something she'd never done previously.

PC Steele

Visit site
UPDATE
My boy has told me it’s time, finding it difficult to walk now, if I didn’t know any better I would swear he could sense my hesitation so made it obvious for me. Vet booked for Tuesday. 22 years of ownership is a long time. Can’t really remember life without him!!