Timed auto water filling?!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Just musing, I soak hay and struggle a bit with time in the mornings so have been soaking the night before, however it’s no good in warm weather.
I wondered if there is any way to time a tap to turn on for a set amount of time daily?
I figure there must be as people have auto garden watering systems.
Plan being I could set my hay up to soak for half an hour before I come out to get the horses in and just drain and feed.

twobearsarthur

Visit site
You can buy tap timers they cost from £10-£50 from garden centres, b&q, Amazon etc. Hozelock water timer just fits between the tap and hose and you can program it how often you need and for a specified amount of time. That costs £30 from Amazon I think. 92739755-5F5C-41BA-B36E-4B110C8BBCAA.jpgA4B86A54-864B-4998-8BBD-C9C4EED1BEFB.jpg

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
As well as Hozelock, Gardena makes a programmable timer that can turn on and off at set times; a friend uses one of these to water his vegetable garden when he's away.

Amazon has cheaper no-name generic knock-offs to do the same job.

You might need to measure the length of time it takes to fill your soaking tub, before you trust a timer, so that you avoid the tub overflowing.

Not_so_brave_anymore

Visit site
Can you also set these so that when you turn the tap on they automatically shut off after the specified amount of time?! This would literally save me HUNDREDS on my water bill (I think I have an actual medical condition whereby I'm physically unable to remember when I've left the bloody tap running!)

twobearsarthur

Visit site
Can you also set these so that when you turn the tap on they automatically shut off after the specified amount of time?! This would literally save me HUNDREDS on my water bill (I think I have an actual medical condition whereby I'm physically unable to remember when I've left the bloody tap running!)

Yes the hozelock one you can set to turn the tap off after 2, 5, 15, 30 or 60 minutes

Skib

sites.google.com
We have a Gardena watering system - an old model now 16 years old. It runs off a 9 v. battery.
It means our containers are watered when we are away.
It works fine but changing the setting is a bit of a faff as you have to go through every detailed setting level before you get to the all important auto off and on setting.
One can quickly set it with one button press to do a 30 minute on.
Our daughter has one more modern which is digital.

I use a double connector to the tap, one with the system and the other for a hose.
The weakness of the system is not the sophisticated uniut but the washers in the tap fittings. Rubber washers tend to harden over time and to start leaking.
And foxes chew through the piping to get water in winter.

Britestar

Visit site

Yes, I have very simple one that I use for filling troughs on the field.
If I leave them on, I dry the well up - not good! I know 20 mins will fill my trough to the top.