Timewasters Rant

Polos

Visit site
I've had someone come to look at my mare 3 times over a period of a month. The horse is not advertised at the moment as I have broken myself and I am not going to be riding for some considerable time. This person had been begging and begging to come so I explained the situation to her and made her fully aware that the horse is unfit and out of work and that I would not be able to ride the horse for her. I also made her fully aware of the price. This person was happy with that and was still desperate to come so we agreed a date.

All 3 viewings the horse has been amazing despite not being in work and has popped a 1.20 course. On the third viewing she bought a supposedly experienced 'friend' who kept dropping comments about my horse being a head shaker because she was wearing an fly veil and saying we must have something to hide (she had all her competition stuff on with her matching saddle pad so she looked smart, it's something that is done for all the clients at my yard, which we explained). Her friend was adamant that she needed to get on and she flopped around on my poor horse for 5 minutes then walked off to have a conversation about how unfit my horse was with my friend who was helping (not even me who rides her and by the time i'd hobbled over to find out what was going on she was getting off)

We took my horse back to her stable and my friend started taking her plaits out and untacking her. It all seemed to be going well as the person was saying she wanted to buy the horse, then this friend pipes up and says horse isnt worth much because shes been out of work (all of this had been made aware to the potential buyer before they came and the price the horse was for sale at. I had also made it clear that this horse was not currently on the market due to this very reason), potential buyer then offered 5k under the asking price (horse is priced at over 15k). I said no thankyou and that she had wasted my time and that I'd rather keep her, bring her back into work and sell her for her asking price. Her friend then piped up again and claimed I treat my horses like objects (all because I wanted to get a proper price for my horse, I'm not giving her away!). Her friend started getting really really rude, which I think was her attempt at bullying us into giving her to them at the lowest price possible.

They started claiming they weren't time wasters and got really defensive saying they'd booked a viewing for the next day, They didn't like it when I pointed out they had no intention of buying the horse for her asking price and did not make this clear on the phone before she came for the first viewing otherwise I would not have let her come.

After this point I'd had enough of the rudeness and asked them to leave, the person was still begging me to consider her ridiculous offer at which point I told her no I will not sell to you.

If they'd offered 1-2k lower I probably would have accepted but after how rude they where even if they offered double the asking price I still would not have sold to them!

I honestly hate selling

Polos

Visit site
After how they spoke to me, I definitley did not want her going to people like that!

I'm in no rush to sell whatsoever and this has made me realise I am not just going to sell her to anyone!!

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
You did the right thing OP. You couldn't possibly let idiots like that have your horse for peanuts or, equally, for all the money in the world. Really it's better that they showed their true colours at this point.

On a similar but different note, I once ordered a potential buyer off my property when OH was selling a sports bike and I was doing the viewing for him. It was in almost pristine condition but the viewer's friend started going on and on about a tiny stone chip and persuaded his friend to put in a risible offer. I told them to get lost but they were hanging around having whispered conversations so I made myself even clearer and they scuttled off. I had the last laugh because I immediately put the price up, re-advertised it and the next person bought it without even haggling :p

MagicMelon

Visit site
Wow, what a timewaster. I hate people who come to view and mess around on your horse. then turn round at the end to say they cant afford it so would you accept whatever... its so rude.

Im holding off putting my horse on the market, I really should (pregnant and dont want her wasted for potentially the next 9 months) but I tried to sell her last autumn, advertised her for a month and got morons coming to try her. It upset her every time (even though I state experienced riders only yet 2 out of 3 of them were awful and the 3rd decided they couldnt afford her once they'd paid for a vetting (?!?!). Its so annoying, especially when you know you have a really genuine nice horse yet you see all the shoddy difficult horses selling no problem!

SpringArising

Visit site
I once agreed on a sale with someone who was selling me their green, overweight, unfit Cob type who was barely backed.

I told her casually on the phone, the night before we were due to get him, that I'd bought him a new head-collar. When she asked me what size it was and I said Cob, she flew off the handle saying that she couldn't believe I could have bought the wrong size and that she could never sell him to someone who could do something like that!

It was honestly surreal and probably a lucky escape.

Nasicus

Visit site
I once agreed on a sale with someone who was selling me their green, overweight, unfit Cob type who was barely backed.

I told her casually on the phone, the night before we were due to get him, that I'd bought him a new head-collar. When she asked me what size it was and I said Cob, she flew off the handle saying that she couldn't believe I could have bought the wrong size and that she could never sell him to someone who could do something like that!

Hahaha, good lord, what a nutter! Just as well you didn't buy, I get the feeling she'd probably still consider him hers, even once the money had changed hands!

alainax

Visit site

Lol! I bought a pony sized head collar before I viewed the 12hh pony I bought a few months back. Seller very kindly told me cob sized is better but it'll do for the journey home.

Time wasters really leave a lasting impression which is more annoying! I sold a jag on eBay, guy came and said it didn't look like the pics, so didn't buy it or even test drive it. It was parked in the exact same place, same drive, hadn't moved in the few days since the photos were taken. I told him he was bidding to buy not to view. Was having none of it. I later realised the photos were on a sunny day, and this was a cloudy day. Argh!

Had one recently with a sofa I was selling far too cheap. I had 40 people all wanting to come buy it at full price. First guy arrived in a van full of second hand household items, said he would offer me £20 to take it away now. I asked him if he was having a laugh! It was the sold an hour later for full price.

People!

SpringArising

Visit site
Had one recently with a sofa I was selling far too cheap. I had 40 people all wanting to come buy it at full price. First guy arrived in a van full of second hand household items, said he would offer me £20 to take it away now. I asked him if he was having a laugh! It was the sold an hour later for full price.

People!

I had the same thing recently with a coffee table. Bought it for £170, have had it a year and put it up for £70. Stated in the ad it had a few small chips on it and put pics of them on.

People come to 'see if it would fit in with their decor at home' - uh, that's what the pics are for! :redface3:

Anyway I say sure, that's fine.

They come, the woman spends around ten minutes circling the table umming and aaring, saying 'Oh, there are some chips on it! I'll give you £30 for it'.

Told her not a chance!

Bernster

Visit site
Annoying. I suspect she brought the friend to try and barter you down, and to be the bossy one. But when it's about selling a much loved animal, that's not a clever tactic! If she's not match fit though some folks may see that as an opportunity to haggle on price, even if you've factored that in. Folks do love a bargain!

Polos

Visit site
The buyer keeps messaging saying she will up her offer by £500 which is still nowhere near the asking price (I dont think she can afford the asking price) and is demanding we let her know asap so she can go ahead with the vetting and x rays (I think this poor vet is on standby). I'm too angry at the moment to write a response right now haha

I'm absolutely fuming that the friend has accused me of treating my horses like objects all because I wouldn't give my seriously nice horse away to them for next to nothing. think its annoyed me so much because my horses get everything they could ever need and more, they are treated like Queens.

After how they spoke to me and tried to bully me into giving her away, my poor horse is not going anywhere near them!

Goldenstar

Visit site
Take your shoes off give her a nice break while you are not right then press reset and start again.
They sound horrible .

Polos

Visit site
Take your shoes off give her a nice break while you are not right then press reset and start again.
They sound horrible .

My other mare is currently in the field having a long holiday so I am very tempted to turn her away too. I'd much rather I keep her, bring her back into work again and then re advertise and hopefully I will find her a nice home!

ihatework

Visit site
The buyer keeps messaging saying she will up her offer by £500 which is still nowhere near the asking price (I dont think she can afford the asking price) and is demanding we let her know asap so she can go ahead with the vetting and x rays (I think this poor vet is on standby). I'm too angry at the moment to write a response right now haha

I'm absolutely fuming that the friend has accused me of treating my horses like objects all because I wouldn't give my seriously nice horse away to them for next to nothing. think its annoyed me so much because my horses get everything they could ever need and more, they are treated like Queens.

After how they spoke to me and tried to bully me into giving her away, my poor horse is not going anywhere near them!

I would take great delight in a response along the lines of
'Dear X. Thank you for your message. I have to admit I was not happy or comfortable to proceed with a sale after your viewing on DD/MM/YY. My horse is not a disposable commodity to me and I feel it is my duty to find her the most suitable match for her next home. Therefore I will not be accepting your offer. I wish you the best of luck with your horse hunting.

Polos

Visit site
I would take great delight in a response along the lines of
'Dear X. Thank you for your message. I have to admit I was not happy or comfortable to proceed with a sale after your viewing on DD/MM/YY. My horse is not a disposable commodity to me and I feel it is my duty to find her the most suitable match for her next home. Therefore I will not be accepting your offer. I wish you the best of luck with your horse hunting.

Perfect thankyou! I'll use this as my response :)

Sophire

Visit site
Perfect response, I can't stand people being rude unnecessarily. I'm in agreement with you, I don't think they can afford the asking price and this was their 'plan' to bump the price down.

Irish gal

Visit site
Polos having a friend knock the horse is the oldest trick in the book - all part and parcel of selling horses I'm afraid.

I had a major case of it last week selling a broodmare of my own. A girl was very interested on the phone and coming to view. I was dismayed to see a car full of people arrive, all men except for the girl. The biggest man immediately started telling me how he had a stud and that there was nothing I could tell him about horses that he didn't know.

As we crossed the field to the mare, he was saying loudly 'her best days are behind her' (she's 12). He kept interfering with loud critical stuff. The girl decided she wanted her and looked for a third off the price. I refused. Then he started shouting that we would split the difference on the last five hundred. A standard tactic here. I refused.

The girl bought the mare with 100 off. I was delighted as she'll give her a great home. With all his big talk he never insisted on seeing the mare trotting when he would have seen her only fault, that she throws out one of the front legs a little - has a bit of a wind. Had a chuckle to myself about that guy today as the cheque cleared the bank.

When you're dealing with the public selling, literally anyone can turn up. And sadly there are even day trippers, with nothing better to do and certainly not the money to pay for a good horse like yours. Possibly it was the rude friend who put the buyer up to this, trying to show off 'that this is how it's done buying horses'. It didn't work very well did it!

Sugar_and_Spice

Visit site

I wouldn't bother with any response, just delete and block.

JustMe22

Visit site
Good thing you're not in a rush. What rude people.

I had a mare of a client's advertised for a "share" for a teenager or comeptent rider. No money needed, but the owner was short on time to ride and was happy to give someone competent the opportunity to ride and care for a horse but couldn't afford it or similar. Had a teenager recommended to us who came to try out the horse. Told us she was 15, turns out only 12. Got on and gave the mare 3 massive kicks straight awah. Mare took off with her at a gallop which she has never done before or since.She had the audacity to message me saying she would ride the mare if I would let her jump MY (very difficult to jump) horse and compete him too because she wanted to jump 1.20m and didn't have a horse to do it with!

Last edited:

Michen

Visit site
They sound like an absolute nightmare! Although I'm not sure I would be letting viewers pop an unfit and out of work horse around a 1.20 course (if I read that right).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When I view horses I always like to talk to whoever is with the seller. It can be very illuminating to hear a different version of ' the story'.
But if you don't want to sell the horse, just say that you have decided to keep her.

shirl62

Visit site
Its bad enough selling your precious animal to someone you know will take care of your horse and are nice people...but those people! Glad you gave them their marching orders...

Shirl

Frumpoon

Visit site
Try selling a pony....all the mummies want is a gold plated unicorn with psychic abilities, that can be handled by an unborn child, must have 20 years experience but be no older than 10 and be no more than £500 including tack

Polos

Visit site
Thought I'd give you an update. After sending the message saying I did not think it was a suitable match and that we would not be going ahead with a sale she is still messaging me begging me to reconsider her offer. I don't think she is getting the message that I do not want to sell to her after how rude her and her friend where to me.

Another thing I've just remembered that has seriously annoyed me is that the friend was demanding to know how much we paid for her originally (I said there is no need for you to know that) and would not take that for an answer. The friend was also demanding to know why I was selling this horse and not my other one when I told her ill health (was pretty obvious to see this!) and lack of time was the reason for sale. The friend (who had obviously been stalking my fb profile so I was a little creeped out by this) was demanding to know things that would only be obvious if you stalked my profile

If it was just the potential buyer that had came it wouldn't have been so bad, it was just the unnecessary rudeness of the friend thats ruined the buyers chances, It's always going to be a no now.

Nasicus

Visit site
Thought I'd give you an update. After sending the message saying I did not think it was a suitable match and that we would not be going ahead with a sale she is still messaging me begging me to reconsider her offer. I don't think she is getting the message that I do not want to sell to her after how rude her and her friend where to me.

Another thing I've just remembered that has seriously annoyed me is that the friend was demanding to know how much we paid for her originally (I said there is no need for you to know that) and would not take that for an answer. The friend was also demanding to know why I was selling this horse and not my other one when I told her ill health (was pretty obvious to see this!) and lack of time was the reason for sale. The friend (who had obviously been stalking my fb profile so I was a little creeped out by this) was demanding to know things that would only be obvious if you stalked my profile

If it was just the potential buyer that had came it wouldn't have been so bad, it was just the unnecessary rudeness of the friend thats ruined the buyers chances, It's always going to be a no now.

I'd honestly just reply and tell her exactly why it's not happening.
Don't sugar coat it with 'not a suitable match', tell her out right how and why she blew her chances.
You might just save someone else in the future being subjected to her 'friend'.

GirlFriday

Visit site
OP If you don't want people looking at your FB profile why not just make it private? A horse, especially of this level of cost, is a huge investment and I'd expect buyers to have a glance around at what kind of record they can verify for it on-line.

Similarly, whilst you may not wish to disclose, it is reasonable for them to ask why your health is not up to caring for this horse but is for your other... there are probably quite a few people around selling horses that have injured them for example.

Likewise asking what you paid for it. No reason you have to say but equally not unreasonable for them to be curious.

I'm not sure they were time wasters per se. They obviously are serious about wanting to buy your horse (for less than you want to sell it). You just didn't hit it off with them.

Awaiting the 'time wasting sellers' thread about a seller who wouldn't talk about why one horse and not another is up for sale/what they've posted on the internet about it/has w=vastly over priced it and isn't interested in sensible offers etc!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Don't sugar coat it with 'not a suitable match', tell her out right how and why she blew her chances.

I absolutely agree. 🐑🐑🐑

Polos

Visit site
My fb is private other than my cover photos. They've been scrolling though my photos asking completely unnecessary questions that are not relevant to buying a horse.

I answered their questions and said my other horse is my horse of a lifetime and she will not Be going anywhere. They where fully aware that she's been in the field for 2 months and will be there for another 6 ish months as I've got another surgery to go. In the time frame they have been looking at this horse I have had one surgery so again they are fully aware about what is going on. I have not hid anything from these people so no I am not a timewasting seller

Wanting to know the purchase price is completely irrelevant to buying said horse and the way they asked it was downright rude.

5k under the asking price is not a remotely sensible offer either so again how am I a timewaster for declining their offer because they where not honest with the fact they could not afford the horse, and telling them I'd rather keep her and bring her back into work and put her back on the market properly

My horse is very reasonably priced for what she is and the reason she is not on the market ATM is because no one has been around to keep her in work for me as they have been busy competing. Again I have been completely honest and my horse is very reasonably priced for what she is. Again the buyers where made fully aware of this before they even wasted my time.

So please tell me how I am the timewaster when I've had people turn up and waste my time 3 times to look A horse they could not afford and not even get anywhere near the asking price). I've had to stand there and be belittled by this nasty friend of hers for an hour and yet you are calling me the timewaster because I've told people who have looked at a horse they cannot remotely afford, been to see it 3 times and where downright rude in the process to jog on.

If you had to deal with these people you would not be standing there calling me a timewaster.

Last edited:

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site

Ditto this.
"I'm sorry, but the price is for too low, your friend was exceptionally, and the whole saga of the last viewing has left me concerned to sell her to you. I hope you understand that she means a lot to me and I want her to go to the best home possible"