Timings of mare's season and AI'ing

Winifred

Visit site
My mare was last in season 16th-20th April, we were away until Sunday and by yesterday evening she still wasn't in, so I assumed as expected that I'd missed it while we were away. I planned to take her to the vets next time round, which I expected to be the end of May. Just been down to check and she is definately just in this evening. I've spoken to vets where she is going to be AI'd just said to bring her down when she's next coming in and the stud but not made any arrangement yet as I thought I had another week or so. Is it worth me getting straight on the phone in the morning and organising or is it going to be too late now for this season, given that I'd probably need the semen at the weekend which won't work well with the couriers etc. Any advice would be great, thank you.

Winifred

Visit site
Sorry I didn't make it clear, she's come in today, so I'm wondering whether if it is too late for the stud to send semen at such late notice (given it will be the weekend in two days) or to wait until the next one which was why I was going to confirm dates etc with them next week for the next cycle.

tikino

Visit site
i would get her tot he vets tommorrow and get her scanned to see what size the folicle is and go for it. the mares are not taking long to grow good sized folicles in this lovely weather. good luck

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
That's what I'd do! Assuming she's got a decent follicle you could order semen either tomorrow or Friday and get it Saturday. If she's JUST come in, she's unlikely to ovulate before then. But ring stud first thing in am and check they will be able to do it - then confirm once she's scanned.

Winifred

Visit site
Thank you, on the phone now. She definately wasn't in at 9pm Tuesday night, so fingers crossed I can get sorted.

Maggie2

Visit site
But bear in mind if the semen has to be delivered, and especially if from abroad, that weekends are not so easy.

Winifred

Visit site
Spoken to the stud then can get semen out to me for Saturday or Tuesday.

Spoke to vets (not using my usual ones, super uber well respected practice as they are referral practice in our area and AI loads) and they were very relaxed and said not to bring her in until 9am Monday morning and will order semen if needs be for Tuesday. I questioned this twice as my gut instinct is that it may just be too late, but they said nope it will be fine.....

Maggie2

Visit site
If from abroad the latest time is normally before 9 the previous day, and some need longer than that, so I think this must be from within the UK?