Tipping forward in saddle

Myloubylou

Visit site
I have a kent and masters flat black saddle which was professionally fitted 3 months ago. My mare is 5 and currently a bit croup high. Problem is I feel a bit tipped forward, it is not lifting at the back, is balanced and she is going happily in it. Is it just her conformation causing her to feel downhill? Anyone had same problem & fixed with knee block, girthing arrangement or I thought wither pad but that would affect fit. The flocking was checked last week as saddler was at the yard. It may be just I need to find my balance/ get better core strength.

Shay

Visit site
Has your saddler seen you ride in it? A saddle needs to fit rider as well as horse and if it is tipping you forward it isn't helping you. It might be your balance / core stength is making this easier to happen, but if the saddle isn't helping you then it isn't helping you and you need a different make. I that saddler didn;t assess you ridden as well as fit to the horse then book another one who will.

Myloubylou

Visit site
He checked it static & ridden when fitted 3 months ago but when he had quick look last week he just checked on her (was just to see if I needed to have him out to reflock). It is by no means awful just when she is unbalanced I feel a bit tipped forward

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
It is low in front, the flocking will have bedded in. It is also on her shoulder, it should be placed, and should stay, at least an inch further back. The TG/K&M seats are notorious for easily tipping a rider forward, so they need to be big enough (too small will put the rider on that long slope up the cantle and tipped) and in balance. At three months you should be haaving a new saddle checked anyway.

JFTDWS

Visit site
He checked it static & ridden when fitted 3 months ago but when he had quick look last week he just checked on her (was just to see if I needed to have him out to reflock). It is by no means awful just when she is unbalanced I feel a bit tipped forward

Whenever I've had flock checks, the saddler has always seen the horse ridden in the saddle again - you can't properly judge if it needs adjustment until the rider is mounted anyway, surely?

Myloubylou

Visit site
Whenever I've had flock checks, the saddler has always seen the horse ridden in the saddle again - you can't properly judge if it needs adjustment until the rider is mounted anyway, surely?

TBF I just asked for quick look, wasn’t a proper paid for check.

Austen123

Visit site
i found the same with my K&M jump saddle. Really made me unbalanced with my jumping. Ended up selling it and buying an Equipe (which i love!) . Am now saving to upgrade my K&M dressage saddle

skint1

Visit site
I've had a K&M for years but just recently began to think of changing as I too have a tendancy to tip forward, well, I have that tendancy anyway perhaps, but I am wondering if maybe a different saddle might help me in correcting this. Certainly have him back to check but it may be a feature of the brand by the sound of things!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I had a Kent and masters briefly. I always felt tipped forward in it.
I asked my saddler about it and he said if the horse could take it he found going up a seat size from usual for the rider was the answer.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
OP, the saddle is also putting you into a chair seat - goodness knows how it manages to that at the same time as tipping you forward but it does! It could be that the stirrup bars are in the wrong place for you, your stirrups could be too short, the seat could be too small for you, or it could be that the saddle just doesn't suit you but tbh, I would ask your saddle fitter if you can try some different saddles to compare with yours.

Dubsie

Visit site
We found the same with our K&M, now also an Equipe fan. Horse also disliked the K&M, was grumpy when you pop it on, we thought she was just grumpy anyway, but we tried a range of saddles and she was quite obvious as to which she really liked, just about liked, tolerated grumpily or actively disliked.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hmm not sure can blame saddle for my poor position! Will work on getting leg under me as think that is my rider fault

The saddle can affect your seat some designs are just not great, as already mentioned stirrup bar position can make a huge difference and if not right will put you in a chair position.

The saddle looks too forward cut for your horse it is sitting on the shoulder, and a straighter cut saddle may also help your leg position, I am not a fan of gp saddles anyway much prefer a vsd or dressage I think they help you have a much better position.