tips for a shiny coat

parsley

Visit site
Bomber's "ends" of his coat have gone all dry and frizzy in the sun so that no matter how much I groom him he never looks shiney. It is especially noticable on his neck. His coat has also changed colour a LOT - he has gone from being a jet black and white horse to being a dappled dun and white one. His feet are very dry with cracking to the nail holes. His tail is black and healthy looking. He does have some sinus problems at the momment.

I have recently started giving him selenium (I think thats what it is called) multivitamin and mineral supplement as he has been on quite poor quality grass for a lot of the summer (although there was lots of it so he is fat enough!). He is on the equest worming programme (which is up to date).

Is there anything else I can do to make his coat look healthier?

maddielove

Visit site
you can buy a hoof an hide supplement[by naf] i'm not too sure how good it is but you could kill 2 birds with one stone and sort out his coat and feet! do some research on it

Governor

Visit site
Governor's feet were cracking this summer so I put him back on cubes (containing B vitamins etc).

Hoof and Hide sounds good if not try something high in oils. I feed Sunflower Seeds by the handful as treats but you could feed sunflower oil or similar with a handful of chaff.

parsley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Governor's feet were cracking this summer so I put him back on cubes (containing B vitamins etc).

[/ QUOTE ]

I am hoping that the multi vitamin and mineral supplement will give him all his vits and minerals in the right quantities.

[ QUOTE ]
you could feed sunflower oil or similar with a handful of chaff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks - I will try this - hopefully he won't need a lot as he is a bit on the big side at the momment

RachelB

Visit site
I try and put Effol on my horse's feet once a week, it has really made my friend's horse's feet hard and smooth. Sounds to me (inexperienced person) like it's just a general vit and min deficiency, having been on poor grass. Hopefully the supplement will sort it.

jackie1

Visit site
I always give mine cod liver oil works every time
smile.gif

parsley

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I try and put Effol on my horse's feet once a week

[/ QUOTE ]
Whats Effol?

[ QUOTE ]
I always give mine cod liver oil works every time

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder if any oil will work then as Governor has suggested sunflower oil? I wonder if he would like some linseed??

parsley

Visit site
ahhaaa! I was talking to someone about thier horse last night and I noticed it had green stuff all over its hooves (and that it had nice hooves)! Thanks I will take a look at it.

RachelB

Visit site
You can get black stuff too, but don't try putting it on white hooves as it looks terrible! Green goes on anything!
And don't leave it too long in the shed, after a year mine has gone all runny and horrible, it runs straight off Maiden's hooves and all over the yard!
But anyway it is nice stuff, friend's horse has good hard hoof walls and her feet are shiny, and not at all cracked. She's has Efool on her feet almost daily for probably all her life (10yrs?)
smile.gif

MagicMelon

Visit site
You can try seaweed. You can usually buy big bags of it (in like granule sort of form) from farm stores. I feed it to mine and they love it, gives their coats a great shine and I think it enhances dapples etc.!

Also like cotswoldSJ, feeding Showshine chaff by Mollichaff would be worth a go (and its cherry flavoured so neds love it!).

pocket

Visit site
Ralph has codliver oil/linseed and cider vinegar and has a lovely coat, also feed bailey low cal and dengie hi fi light, works for us. Also swear by effol, fantastic stuff, have used it for years
wink.gif

Theresa_F

Visit site
I feed my boys black sunflower seeds - mug a day each they also get a very good vit and min supplement.

I also treat their feet daily with hypona hoof dressing.

Both have very soft glossy coats and good feet.

I did have to get Cairo shoed all round last month - the hard ground was not agreeing with him but they will come off again in late September and stay off until he need them again about June next year.

BSS are cheap £7 for 15 kilos and I have been very pleased with the results on the hairy boys.

PapaFrita

pilar-larcade.com
PF normally has a very glossy coat, but is looking very dull and careworn at the moment. The sun will do alot of damage to hossies coat (especially with all that tropical weather you've been having) I expect he'll look much better once he's changed into his new 'clothes'
smile.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Corn oil, linsead oil or boiled linsead is absolutely the best thing for getting a shiney coat.

I always used to put a dolop of corn oil in both Fred and Amy's feed and their coats would shine like a bottle.